Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Do we let Bryan Walters walk?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Walters has become a bit of a fan favorite, but I suspect the team doesn't need him anymore. I've felt this way ever since the last few games of the season when it appeared the team had phased him out of their packages. I realize Bryan has tremendous route running ability and hands with a knack for knowing precisely where the first down marker is, but he doesn't exactly possess world class speed to get downfield and he tends to stay put and fall down after the catch. Early on Walters ranked as one of the league's best #3 WRs, but by season's end it appeared he wasn't even in their top five. As a free agent I'm sure he'll attract a few teams so he may be rather expensive to sign as well.

In threads where we've discussed which free agents to bring back, Walters is typically among the front runners, but I don't see the Jaguars making a sincere enough effort to do so. As it stands without Walters, I like the current group going forward. The depth chart works out nicely...

<p style="margin-left:40px;">#1 WR (x) - Allen Robinson, Marqise Lee, Arrelious Benn

<p style="margin-left:40px;">#2 WR (z) - Allen Hurns, Rashad Greene (slot), Neal Sterling

<p style="margin-left:40px;"> 

<p style="margin-left:40px;">Others: Tony Washington, Rashad Lawrence, Shaq Evans, Damian Copeland and Rasheed Bailey

This team just doesn't need Bryan as much as some other teams probably do this offseason.

Of note, can we finally drop the deceptive "/WR" tag for DRob as he's obviously strictly a RB, and is it safe to say that Justin Blackmon will never play again in this league?

No.
Quote:No.
Agree. Keep Walters.
He was hurt more than "phased out," but there are younger guys with more upside already under contract at the position.

Unlikely he's given a contract, IMO.
With the healthy return of both Rashad Greene and Marqise Lee, I, unfortunately don't see a place on the Jags WR roster for Walters for next season.  In case of injury to one of these guys, it would not be a bad idea to bring him into camp (for the minimum).

From your depth chart, I would not be surprised to see them try to switch Neal Sterling to a TE role.   

No.

A. There is too much cap space not to keep him.

B. Can't predict injuries. He has proven that he can step in and contribute.

C. Other than name value, there is nobody that has proven that they're better than Walters at this point. He has earned his spot on the WR corps.

Keep the kid.

We should bring him back but we probably wont
Bring him back with a quickness. Too much value given greene,hurns and lee have all had injury bugs.

Better then Benn and Sterling too with reliable hands. Not even factoring the crazy cap room.
I think you're dramatically overestimating the price tag that Bryan Walters would draw in free agency. Not only would he not be a day one guy, he wouldn't be a week one guy. His value is far higher to the Jaguars than it is to anyone else, and vice versa. If Walters doesn't return, it's because the team is certain it doesn't need him, even in camp, not because Walters smelled some sweet green on the other side of March 9th.

And for the record, I think a steady, consistent veteran like Walters absolutely has a place in a receiving corps that is otherwise young or injury-riddled.

Quote:Bring him back with a quickness. Too much value given greene,hurns and lee have all had injury bugs.

Better then Benn and Sterling too with reliable hands. Not even factoring the crazy cap room.

Hurns is injury prone? He's missed what, 2 games his entire career so far?
I would trust Walters on a crucial 3rd down conversion more than anyone not named Allen.

Perfect safety blanket if Lee continues his injury riddled ways and Greene doesn't improve.
I'm as concerned about letting Walters walk almost as much as I'm concerned with whether or not we sign Chad Henne.

Keep him. He's proved more reliable (on the field in actual games) than Benn or Sterling.

If Greene/Lee stay healthy next season (that's a big "IF" considering their history to date), Walters will likely be a guy that can be dropped/activated when needs arise at other positions.

I believe that was the case last year when defensive injuries forced them to pick up eXtra guys.

IMO, Walters is valuable to the team. He's not more valuable than Greene, as long as Greene is healthy. But, he's more valuable than Lee at this point in my opinion. Lee still has to "prove it" to me.
I think at the very least they'll give him a ride. It's a long walk to the airport.

Reliable hands, especially on punt returns. Keep him.
No. Cut his legs off.

Walters is solid. I'd bring him back.
Quote:No. Cut his legs off.

I think the current CBA disallows this option.
Keep him.

He will stay around, if not it won't matter.
Pages: 1 2 3 4