Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Jaguars 2016 Linebacking Corps
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
The point of this thread is to get your thoughts on how Dave, Gus and Wash will address the LB situation in the coming season.

Defining the current state of affairs:

-The Jags have a very good old school 4-3 MLB in Paul Posluszny. However, he's not getting any younger, has accrued a number of injuries that may (or may not) begin to slow him down soon, and he's proven to be a step too slow when dropping in coverage a few too many times.

-On the weak side, Dave landed a gem in the fifth round in Telvin Smith. He looks to be a long term fixture for the team at the position. While his speed is an asset, his light weight may occasionally put him at a disadvantage vs. the run. The good has greatly outweighed the bad thus far, and I expect that will continue or improve.

- The strong side is being dubbed the OTTO these days in Bradley's scheme and is manned by recent FA signee, Dan Skuta. The minor difference in the position is intended to give the SAM backer more versatility, lining up in different places at times (nearer the LOS)  and contributing to third down pass rush. Skuta looks to be solid to good here after several prior free agents didn't quite cut it. He was hampered by a groin inury for much of the 2015 season making it hard to accurately measure his potential at the spot. He had surgery in January and should be ready to compete in camp.

What to change?

- A popular theory being tossed about by a few beat reporters and several MB posters involves drafting a speedy young player with the skill set to play inside on passing downs and certain sub packages. This would - in theory- begin to alleviate the impact of Posluszny's coverage liability and potentially groom his replacement that ideally would be more in the mold of a guy like Bobby Wagner in Seattle. Is this a good idea? If so - Who would you draft and in which round?

- Otto. Do you attempt to upgrade during this offseason?

- Depth. There really isn't any outside of a few guys gleaned from scrap heaps and practice squads that may or may not be up to the challenge. Do you use a late round pick? Sign a mid-tier free agent?

Any other thoughts and suggestions welcome, of course. Go Jags.

Depth is very important like you said. It's a thin group and we couldn't survive when one of the starters went down. Hayes Pullard is a little intriguing.

I look for them to add a LB in both free agency and draft, but obviously don't know who and when in the draft. Depth will provide competition as well.
There are 4 guys on the roster that I think are pretty safe - Poz, Smith, Skuta, and Tripp. Wasn't impressed with Pullard but then again he was kind of thrown right into the mix and may have been in over his head (see the NO game).

I am really disappointed Jarrad Davis didn't come out this year, would have loved him in the 2nd or 3rd to be groomed behind Poz.

Dave seems to be content with the Smith, Poz, Skuta trio but I expect him to draft a guy at some point or bring in a mid-level FA guy to compete.

Quote:There are 4 guys on the roster that I think are pretty safe - Poz, Smith, Skuta, and Tripp. Wasn't impressed with Pullard but then again he was kind of thrown right into the mix and may have been in over his head (see the NO game).

I am really disappointed Jarrad Davis didn't come out this year, would have loved him in the 2nd or 3rd to be groomed behind Poz.

Dave seems to be content with the Smith, Poz, Skuta trio but I expect him to draft a guy at some point or bring in a mid-level FA guy to compete.

I agree, those 4 are safe
Quote:There are 4 guys on the roster that I think are pretty safe - Poz, Smith, Skuta, and Tripp. Wasn't impressed with Pullard but then again he was kind of thrown right into the mix and may have been in over his head (see the NO game).

I liked what I saw out of Tripp when he started. Could be someone to groom to replace Poz.
Quote:I liked what I saw out of Tripp when he started. Could be someone to groom to replace Poz.

Agreed, I think a lot of people on here are sleeping on him.
Quote:Agreed, I think a lot of people on here are sleeping on him.

I think so to. He seemed to have good coverage skills and was a solid tackler.
Quote:The point of this thread is to get your thoughts on how Dave, Gus and Wash will address the LB situation in the coming season.

Defining the current state of affairs:

-The Jags have a very good old school 4-3 MLB in Paul Posluszny. However, he's not getting any younger, has accrued a number of injuries that may (or may not) begin to slow him down soon, and he's proven to be a step too slow when dropping in coverage a few too many times.

-On the weak side, Dave landed a gem in the fifth round in Telvin Smith. He looks to be a long term fixture for the team at the position. While his speed is an asset, his light weight occasionally make him a slight liability vs. the run. The good has greatly outweighed the bad thus far, and I expect that will continue or improve.

- The strong side is being dubbed the OTTO these days in Bradley's scheme and is manned by recent FA signee, Dan Skuta. The slight difference in the position is intended to give the SAM backer more versatility, lining up in different places at times and contributing to third down pass rush. Skuta looks to be solid to good here after several players didn't quite cut it. He was hampered by a groin inury for much of the 2015 season making it hard to accurately measure his potential at the spot. He had surgery in January and should be ready to compete in camp.

What to change?

- A popular theory being tossed about by a few beat reporters and several MB posters involves drafting a speedy young player with the skill set to play inside on passing downs and certain sub packages. This would - in theory- begin to alleviate the impact of Posluszny's coverage liability and potentially groom his replacement that ideally would be more in the mold of a guy like Bobby Wagner in Seattle. Is this a good idea? If so - Who would you draft and in which round?

- Otto. Do you attempt to upgrade during this offseason?

- Depth. There really isn't any outside of a few guys gleaned from scrap heaps and practice squads that may or may not be up to the challenge. Do you use a late round pick? Sign a mid-tier free agent?

Any other thoughts and suggestions welcome, of course. Go Jags.

This is what I see happening:

The Jaguars will pursue a pass rusher or two in FA (Mario Williams is one).  Maybe they will pursue a C (Mack-though I have been kicking this around and I will share my thoughts on this in another thread.

Come draft time, I think the remaining needs will be FS and LB.

I think if Ramsey is still on the board at 5 under this scenario, he will be the pick.

If Ramsey is gone under this scenario, then they will draft a LB (Jack). I think in either scenario, they will draft a MLB later to groom a year behind Poz, unless they strike gold with the guy they draft and the MLB is an immediate impact guy his rookie year.  Two LBs should be an expectation this offseason, whether two come in the draft, or one comes in free agency (i.e. Trevathan).
Quote:Agreed, I think a lot of people on here are sleeping on him.

I thought of mentioning him (as well as Sean Porter who was signed to a futures contract) but was distracted by that old pesky "work" thing and wrapped up my post quickly without getting to those guys. 

Tripp definitely flashed on a large handful of plays in his limited duty . He also missed some gaps and got caught out of position a couple of times, but that's not unexpected given his experience.  He's got potential as "depth" at the least. Maybe he earns more of a role than that. 

Pullard was very hit and miss when out there but looked quite capable on ST. 

Porter is intriguing as he was a 4th round selection by Cincinnati in 2013.  (went to IR after knee injury - waived last year) He had 34 tackles for loss at Texas A&M (OLB) and had a 4.75 forty at the combine, a 35 inch vertical and was praised for his coverage skills.

If his knee is good again.... who knows?  

I wouldn't be opposed to bringing in Trevethan. Seems he may reach the market
Quote:I wouldn't be opposed to bringing in Trevethan. Seems he may reach the market

Combined with Telvin Smith, that would especially be a very good combination at LB when the Jags use Nickel Defenses.   One thing for sure,  the Jags can offer to pay Danny Trevethan if he hits the open market. 
I'd like to pick up either Kentrell Brothers or Scooby Wright III in the draft depending on if maybe one slides both
I think we lack two things at linebacker: depth and coverage skills.   On defense as a whole, we lack pressure on the passer.   I think all of these things can be alleviated if we spend our first round pick on linebacker Myles Jack. 

CBS Sports' draft guru Rob Rang has him rated 5th pick overall:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/playe...myles-jack

Let's face it, while we love Poz (well, some of us do) ideally he should not be on the field on 3rd down passing situations.  But aside from Telvin Smith, who do we have who can make any impact on 3rd down?  If our top 4 linebackers are Telvin Smith, Poz, Skuta, and Myles Jack, that will give us the versatility and flexibility to mix and match depending on the situation.  

Here are some excerpts from Rang's analysis on Myles Jack: 

"Jack is well-suited to today's pass-happy NFL as he combines rare agility and speed with awareness in coverage. He has the fluidity to cover backs and tight ends step for step and anticipates routes well, breaking free from his assignment to close quickly on the ball. Jack's ability in coverage make him ideally suited to playing outside in a 4-3 scheme, where his lack of ideal size is mitigated."

"Jack [...] projects as a top 15 pick, boasting perhaps the country's-best combination of instincts and athleticism. Unprecedented as the Pac-12 Offensive and Defensive Freshman of the Year in 2013, Jack has the vision, agility and speed to star at running back if he wanted to return to that position but is even more valuable on the defensive side of the ball, where he's a true three-down linebacker and future Pro Bowler."

I don't think Poz's future replacement is currently on the roster.  I can envision DC using a mid round selection on a developmental Mike candidate.  Scooby Wright is one name to throw out there if available in the 3rd.  He was the 2014 Pac 12 DPOTY, a tackling machine, but may fall due to injuries. He could be a value if he checks out medically.

Skuta could be upgraded at OTTO.  I would like to see go strong after someone in free agency, maybe Bruce Irvin if Seahawks let him test the market.  Irvin has mentioned that he might take a little less and stay in Seattle, and there are also rumors that he would like to play for the Falcons if he leaves.  However, I think with enough green, and there is no cap shortage, Gus and Dave could be quite convincing.   
I wouldn't mind us going after Zach Brown, I'm of the belief Jack should be our draft pick.  Thought Tripp played well and like someone else said Pullard is intriguing.  I like Skuta but I would like another capable body there.  

So for me keep Poz, Smith, Skuta, Tripp, Pullard, add 1 FA 1Draft pick 1 conversion DL/LB 3-4 OLB type

Quote:I wouldn't mind us going after Zach Brown, I'm of the belief Jack should be our draft pick. Thought Tripp played well and like someone else said Pullard is intriguing. I like Skuta but I would like another capable body there.

So for me keep Poz, Smith, Skuta, Tripp, Pullard, add 1 FA 1Draft pick 1 conversion DL/LB 3-4 OLB type

Yes sir.. Zach Brown is a guy I'm keeping an eye on also. Pretty underrated.
Quote:Yes sir.. Zach Brown is a guy I'm keeping an eye on also. Pretty underrated.

Its actually a pretty deep ILB fa class at the moment.

guys I like Trevathan, McClain, Z.Brown, Weatherspoon
Quote:Its actually a pretty deep ILB fa class at the moment.

guys I like Trevathan, McClain, Z.Brown, Weatherspoon

Gotta get one.

Preferably Trevathan or Brown.

If no Myles Jack in the first round, I really like Deion Jones' potential. Crazy speed and intensity. Reminds me a little of Telvin.
Quote:I wouldn't mind us going after Zach Brown, I'm of the belief Jack should be our draft pick.  Thought Tripp played well and like someone else said Pullard is intriguing.  I like Skuta but I would like another capable body there.  

Would love Zach Brown, perfect mid-tier FA to target.

He is 253lbs and ran a 4.44, not to mention he had 5.5 sacks his rookie year. Seems to have fallen out of favor with the Titans, let's bring him in for the OTTO spot.

Quote:Yes sir.. Zach Brown is a guy I'm keeping an eye on also. Pretty underrated.

I heard he has a band too
Pages: 1 2 3