Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Navy-Notre Dame game means long road stint for Jags in 2016
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
http://jacksonville.com/sports/football/...road-swing

Quote:<p style="font-size:16px;font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;color:rgb(51,51,51);">But let’s lay out the 2016 NFL schedule.

<p style="font-size:16px;font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;color:rgb(51,51,51);"> 

<p style="font-size:16px;font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;color:rgb(51,51,51);">The regular season starts Sept. 11. … The Jaguars play Indianapolis in London on Oct. 2 (Week 4), meaning they will have Week 5 off. … The Jaguars won’t play a home game in Week 7 (Oct. 23) because extra-seat construction for Florida-Georgia will be underway. … The Jaguars won’t play at home in Week 8 (day after Florida-Georgia) for the same reason. … What about the day after Notre Dame-Navy?

<p style="font-size:16px;font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;color:rgb(51,51,51);"> 

<p style="font-size:16px;font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;color:rgb(51,51,51);">Lamping said it was his understanding the temporary seating will remain in place for Notre Dame-Navy. That would make it impossible for the Jaguars to play at home Nov. 6 and mean they would play one home game from Weeks 4-10, a bad scenario for a team in a win-or-everybody-gets-turfed year.

Ooff

Ehh. Until I know the road schedule and the actual state of those away opponents in oct/nov -- it's pointless to assume there's any real disadvantage.

I actually like the idea of a string of home games late in the season anyway.
I don't get it. Notre Dame is in the Midwest. Navy is in the Northeast. So why would they want to play in the Southeast? If they want to play at a neutral site the most logical location would be between the schools.

Quote:I don't get it. Notre Dame is in the Midwest. Navy is in the Northeast. So why would they want to play in the Southeast? If they want to play at a neutral site the most logical location would be between the schools.

Both schools have a huge national following.   The game is going to be a huge boost for the Jacksonville area economy,  not only in the short term but probably in the long term.
Quote:Both schools have a huge national following. The game is going to be a huge boost for the Jacksonville area economy, not only in the short term but probably in the long term.

I was just wondering why the schools would choose Jacksonville because it is so far away. Geographically, Pittsburgh would be a much more logical option.
Quote:I was just wondering why the schools would choose Jacksonville because it is so far away. Geographically, Pittsburgh would be a much more logical option.

When you have a large following like Notre Dame and Navy,  it makes sense to try to play in front of those fans if the opportunity presents itself and makes sense from a financial standpoint.  

Quote:I was just wondering why the schools would choose Jacksonville because it is so far away. Geographically, Pittsburgh would be a much more logical option.
Bro, do u even Mayport?
Okay, but if Jacksonville is a good football team that shouldn't matter too much. They should be able to escape from it at .500 and then pile on the home wins.

Good teams can escape from schedule traps, and I think Jacksonville will be a good team in 2016.

Quote:Okay, but if Jacksonville is a good football team that shouldn't matter too much. They should be able to escape from it at .500 and then pile on the home wins.

Good teams can escape from schedule traps, and I think Jacksonville will be a good team in 2016.

But we are talking about five or six weeks of games outside Jacksonville. Normally teams don't go longer than three weeks away from home.
Quote:Bro, do u even Mayport?
Bro, do u even Kings Bay?
Quote:http://jacksonville.com/sports/football/...road-swing

Ooff

Yeah, but the great thing is, we get to see Navy vs Notre Dame!   I am definitely going to go to that game. 

Besides, what if we manage to get some of those road wins, and then have a late season schedule that is heavy on home games?   Could set up nicely for us. 
I would rather watch this game in Jacksonville in November instead of Pittsburgh.

Went to a Notre Dame/Nave game in Cleveland in November, nuff said.

Quote:Bro, do u even Kings Bay?

Bro, do u even NAS?
Great schedule! I can spend October in the mountains and watch the leaves change!
Not terrible if we get 2 home games in the first 3 weeks. Start quick and be 2-1 or 3-0 heading into a "home" game vs the clots and then a road stretch and another home stretch.

I think schedules and the "strength" of them are much ado about nothing.

Quote:Bro, do u even NAS?

Bro, do you even Cecil Field? Oh, wait... nevermind.
Quote:I don't get it. Notre Dame is in the Midwest. Navy is in the Northeast. So why would they want to play in the Southeast? If they want to play at a neutral site the most logical location would be between the schools.

You do realize there is a huge population of military...particularly Navy....in Jacksonville?  Right?
Quote:You do realize there is a huge population of military...particularly Navy....in Jacksonville?  Right?

Of course she does, she's playing her game again. Ya'll are just her little cat toys that she bats around at her leisure.

Seriously?

Notre Dame has a fan base that could rival NFL teams like the steelers or Green Bay.  Jacksonville has 2 major Navy bases and is 30 minutes south of a submarine base.  The military presence in this area is huge.  They'll be using the temporary seating utilized by the Florida / Georgia game.  That should tell you all you need to know about what expectations are for ticket sales.

When Navy hosts this game every other year it is always at a neutral site because their stadium isn't big enough.  They traditionally travel to various cities to host.  In recent years it has been in Baltimore and Philly.  Jax was picked because it because the Gator Bowl Association (whatever it is called now) made a pitch to host the game because of the new video boards and construction and the large Navy population.  They were successful and its a good thing for local revenue.
Pages: 1 2