Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Colts, Luck closing in on a "nine-figure" deal
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/146998...-offseason

Yes, because nothing screams "good idea" like taking a QB who regressed badly and handing him a monster of a contract when you've already got him locked up for a prove-it 2016.

#IrsayLogic

Blake's next
That's a lot of money for a guy when you do not have many other pieces in place. Cam's contract was a big one, but the team was ready to compete. That being said, you have to give him that money. Even if he regressed (result of injury or otherwise) you won't find someone better in the draft anytime soon.
Still don't think he's that guy

Quote:Still don't think he's that guy
^This

Been sayin' it since he was drafted and he has proven me right except for his record rookie year.  It raised an eyebrow and then the picks stuck in yr 2, and the brow went down.
Quote:Still don't think he's that guy
Lets hope so Big Grin Last year was pretty great for us.
Quote:Lets hope so Big Grin Last year was pretty great for us.

It was?

Oh, wow.
I you consider Luck, or any current young QB, worthy of "top ten" status in the league, then you've gotta' start your negotiations with his agent at somewhere near "5 years for 90 million."   

So - I'm not really surprised by the number.  As hard as it is to find a difference making QB these days - I think the colts are probably doing the right thing for the organization.  Especially if they can massage the guaranteed money down a bit with playing time and performance incentives. 

Quote:Blake's next

Yup, Blake and his agent should be smiling.
lol it's funny how things turn out. Apparently Luck didn't enter the draft when the Panthers had the top pick in 2011 because he didn't wanna play for Carolina.

I'm sure Carolina is upset with Cam.

Quote:Yup, Blake and his agent should be smiling.

Wait...isn't he still on a rookie deal? Shouldn't that last til like 2018?
Quote:Blake's next
No, he's not.

To the topic, when was the last time Indy made a good FO move?  This is just another example of the front office there being the NFL equivalent to a clown car.

I get it that this is probably going to be the standard for the next generation of Qbs and the contracts they'll command.  However, with the number of holes that roster has, they're doing every other team in the division a big favor by putting most of their cap in the Luck basket.

Quote:lol it's funny how things turn out. Apparently Luck didn't enter the draft when the Panthers had the top pick in 2011 because he didn't wanna play for Carolina.

I have never heard this. Was there any truth to it or was it just inferred?
Quote:Wait...isn't he still on a rookie deal? Shouldn't that last til like 2018?
Yes.  Until then, there's nothing that's going to happen with his contract per the CBA.
Quote:Wait...isn't he still on a rookie deal? Shouldn't that last til like 2018?
Yes.  The team has the "club option" in 2018 if they want to pay him the average salary of the top ten QBs the previous year.  

I think they'll just offer him a five year deal to begin in 2018 instead, however.  And, yes, his agent is smiling to think that it will likely be a nine figure deal if he stays on his game and gets this team to the playoffs between now and then.  But it won't be any sooner than 2018. 
Hahaha best news going. Looks like Indy will be stuck for a while.
Quote:http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/146998...-offseason

Yes, because nothing screams "good idea" like taking a QB who regressed badly and handing him a monster of a contract when you've already got him locked up for a prove-it 2016.

#IrsayLogic

Now if the Jags could just find a way to beat Luck at least once a year.

Twice a year is just asking way way too much, so I would settle for at least once.
Quote:lol it's funny how things turn out. Apparently Luck didn't enter the draft when the Panthers had the top pick in 2011 because he didn't wanna play for Carolina.

Not sure if he was ever quoted as saying that he didn't want to play for Carolina, but now that you brought it up I do remember this being out there at the time.
I don't think Luck is as bad as everyone says these days.He's still one of the best young QBs in the league with massive potential. I'd be surprised if he isn't in the top 5 QBs in the next few years.
Quote:I don't think Luck is as bad as everyone says these days.He's still one of the best young QBs in the league with massive potential. I'd be surprised if he isn't in the top 5 QBs in the next few years.

That's all it's ever been about. Potential. It's the word everyone uses with him because he checks a lot of the boxes scouts look for. Well, a lot of players ckeck those boxes and never sniff becoming 'average'. I've thought the guy was overrated since he came out in the draft. He stares down receivers, is wildly inaccurate and his pocket awareness deteriorates quickly from very little pressure.

Sometimes you think the offensive play call is "Hope and pray, on three" because it looks like he just chucks it and hopes someone comes down with it. He's actually visibly regressed. Not that I'm complaining. #stuckwithLuck

Pages: 1 2