Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Calvin Johnson retires
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
It wouldn't surprise me in the least if Calvin Johnson retires.  His body has taken a pounding over the years.

The other day though,  Terry Foster wrote the following article that mentions the chances of Calvin Johnson coming back for another season have improved at least to some extent:

Terry Foster: Calvin Johnson Closer To Lions Return, On One Condition

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2016/01/28/t...condition/

I feel bad that he has to call it quits early but he's one of the few players that also has a head on his shoulders.

I feel especially bad for Lions fans though. It has to be tough going through all this talent and not being able to put it all together.

It sucks for the Lions too. He left a big hole to fill.

One of the few smart great players in the league

Quote:I feel bad that he has to call it quits early but he's one of the few players that also has a head on his shoulders.

I feel especially bad for Lions fans though. It has to be tough going through all this talent and not being able to put it all together.

As disappointing it will be from a Lions standpoint if Calvin Johnson retires,  if this means that Calvin will have a much better life moving forward compared to if he continues to play,  then it's for the best that he retires.   Calvin Johnson has been a tremendous representative of the Detroit Lions and the NFL   Certainly,  one of my all time favorite players and people who have played in the NFL or any sport for that matter.

Putting things in perspective though,  even if Calvin does retire,  which is a very realistic possibility,   at least the Detroit Lions will have 16 regular season games in 2016 and for at least a long time to come.   Compare this from the perspective of St. Louis Rams fans,  people that no longer have their NFL franchise or in your case as a Seattle Sonics basketball fan,  things could be much worse.   
He's the smartest man in the NFL. Get paid, then get out. No sense in destroying your body at a young age if you don't have to.

Hall of Fame
Calvin just Barried the lions... Get it?
Quote:Calvin just Barried the lions... Get it?

Yep, I get it. But unlike Calvin, Barry simply did not want to play for the Lions.
Quote:Hall of Fame

I don't think so, I believe his reputation exceeded his output. Really good player, but never fulfilled all that potential. Based on his retirement I think it speaks to his desire or lack thereof to be truly great.
Quote:Yep, I get it. But unlike Calvin, Barry simply did not want to play for the Lions.

False.
His career numbers, for HOF argument sakes:

731 receptions (43rd all time)

11,619 yards (27th all time)

83 TDs (22nd all time among receivers)

Quote:False.

True. I read the reports about this. Barry Sanders said he will not play for the Lions ever again. The Lions put him on the reserve/retired list to prevent him from seeking a job elsewhere.
Quote:His career numbers, for HOF argument sakes:

He also holds the record for receiving yards in a season.
Quote:His career numbers, for HOF argument sakes:

How does Jimmy Smith rank as in those categories?
Quote:How does Jimmy Smith rank as in those categories?

For comparison, Jimmy Smith's career numbers:

862 receptions (23rd all time)

12,287 yards (21st all time)

67 TDs (t-45 among receivers)
Quote:For comparison, Jimmy Smith's career numbers:

862 receptions (23rd all time)

12,287 yards (21st all time)

67 TDs (t-45 among receivers)

Logjam at WR. Johnson is definitely not a first ballot HOFer
Quote:True. I read the reports about this. Barry Sanders said he will not play for the Lions ever again. The Lions put him on the reserve/retired list to prevent him from seeking a job elsewhere.

His documentary was pretty clear that he didn't want to play anymore, though he might've if the Lions weren't rebuilding. The Lions did not prevent him from seeking employment elsewhere according to him.
Quote:I don't think so, I believe his reputation exceeded his output. Really good player, but never fulfilled all that potential. Based on his retirement I think it speaks to his desire or lack thereof to be truly great.

My take is Calvin Johnson has given the Lions everything he's had over the years.   But his pain level has reached the point that even if Calvin ends up playing another season or two,  his body is telling him that it's not feasible to play well into his 30's.   If this truly the end of Calvin Johnson's playing career,   I don't think he should have any regrets in terms of effort and commitment. 

Because Calvin Johnson's impact and presence led the vast majority of teams to change their coverages to account for him,   combined with the stats and plays he made,  I would be very surprised if Calvin isn't in the HOF within a few seasons after he's eligible. 
Pages: 1 2 3