Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Caldwell on the defense and pass rush
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
*When Jaguars general manager David Caldwell spoke to the media Tuesday, he talked about the need to focus on defense in this year’s draft. “We felt like the first couple of years we just had to get a good core of players and really draft for need – which we had a lot of them – and try to find the best players available,” Caldwell said of his early drafts with the team. “The last two years have been evident of that. Now, we can focus on, ‘OK, what side of the ball we really want to build?’ We feel good about the offense right now. We still have a ways to go there, and we’re not done by any means offensively. But we’re really focused on the defensive side of the ball. Getting [Leo end]

Dante Fowler Jr.[Image: icon-article-link.gif] [back] is going to help us and getting Sen’Derrick Marks back is going to help us. Then we have some cap space and some good draft picks to fix the rest of the needs.” …

*Caldwell also said the Jaguars absolutely need pass-rush help next season aside from Fowler. “If you’ve seen any team with a really good defensive end, they’re even better when they have somebody on the opposite side of them,” Caldwell said. “You need two of them. When you only have one, the production isn’t going to be as high as it could be, because they’re going to draw a lot of attention. People are going to slide pass protection to him, chip him, double-team him … they’ll find a way to negate him …”

*Caldwell said this about the importance of the pass rush: “There were a handful of games we were winning in the fourth quarter. If we had significant pass rush, we could have closed some of those games out – or at least half of them. If we closed half of them out, we’d have been playing in January. … You can never have enough pass rushers. We have a need there. Whether it’s two more, three more, whatever it might be. The saying is, ‘You can never have enough pass rushers or corners. It’s very true with pass rushers.’’

I think its safe to say we will be getting some more pass rushers this off season!  But we aslo cant ignore the secondary and LB

http://www.jaguars.com/news/article-Jagu...5cec6f5da9

Quote:*Caldwell also said the Jaguars absolutely need pass-rush help next season aside from Fowler. “If you’ve seen any team with a really good defensive end, they’re even better when they have somebody on the opposite side of them,” Caldwell said. “You need two of them. When you only have one, the production isn’t going to be as high as it could be, because they’re going to draw a lot of attention. People are going to slide pass protection to him, chip him, double-team him … they’ll find a way to negate him …”

This was the most interesting quote to me. I wonder if he's hinting at a change in philosophy and a shift away from the LEO/Big End role to a more traditional 4-3 with two DE alignment. I know he also mentioned having a DE combo like a Freeney and Mathis (which was left out of the quote).
Quote:This was the most interesting quote to me. I wonder if he's hinting at a change in philosophy and a shift away from the LEO/Big End role to a more traditional 4-3 with two DE alignment. I know he also mentioned having a DE combo like a Freeney and Mathis (which was left out of the quote).
I hope so, I dont like the big end unless you play a run heavy team and there arent many of those left

If I was a gambler I would put my money on drafting a defensive player in the first round - most likely one who can rush the passer. Dave Caldwell obviously understands elite pass rushers make the defensive backs look better than they are. A perfect example of this is the AFC Championship Game. Both Broncos safeties were backups, but that was not a problem with Von Miller, Derek Wolf, Malik Jackson, and DeMarcus Ware in front of them.

However, it is important to note Caldwell also said what I have been saying here: we still need a few upgrades on offense. It looks to me like his plan is to plug those holes in the later rounds after picking the defensive players he wants.

Quote:If I was a gambler I would put my money on drafting a defensive player in the first round

You're an absolute risk taker. You should get therapy for your gambling addiction.
Quote:This was the most interesting quote to me. I wonder if he's hinting at a change in philosophy and a shift away from the LEO/Big End role to a more traditional 4-3 with two DE alignment. I know he also mentioned having a DE combo like a Freeney and Mathis (which was left out of the quote).
I doubt it. My guess is it will be a "package". We'll remain in our base formation on 1st and 2nd downs but have different packages that we can go to on obvious pass rushing downs.

A Vernon, Marks, Odrick, Fowler front four can bring some rush
Quote:If I was a gambler I would put my money on drafting a defensive player in the first round - most likely one who can rush the passer. Dave Caldwell obviously understands elite pass rushers make the defensive backs look better than they are. A perfect example of this is the AFC Championship Game. Both Broncos safeties were backups, but that was not a problem with Von Miller, Derek Wolf, Malik Jackson, and DeMarcus Ware in front of them.

However, it is important to note Caldwell also said what I have been saying here: we still need a few upgrades on offense. It looks to me like his plan is to plug those holes in the later rounds after picking the defensive players he wants.

Really going out on a limb there.

Caldwell has made it crystal clear where the focus in this draft is going to be.  There is no chance of them picking an offensive player in the first round unless Gene Smith hacks into the system and makes the call to NY for the Jags.
I could see us spending six of our eight picks on defense, maybe even seven. Our defense is that bad. Outside of Telvin and Fowler, I don't see any future building blocks
Aside from a center prospect in the 3rd-ish round, or a guard in case they want to move Cann to center, it should be a defensive sweep!

Quote:Really going out on a limb there.

Caldwell has made it crystal clear where the focus in this draft is going to be. There is no chance of them picking an offensive player in the first round unless Gene Smith hacks into the system and makes the call to NY for the Jags.

Gene would be dying to draft that QB from NDSU.
Quote:I could see us spending six of our eight picks on defense, maybe even seven. Our defense is that bad. Outside of Telvin and Fowler, I don't see any future building blocks
House?

Colvin?

Sample?

Not feelin any of those guys?
Quote:Gene would be dying to draft that QB punt gunner from NDSU.
FIFY
Quote:I doubt it. My guess is it will be a "package". We'll remain in our base formation on 1st and 2nd downs but have different packages that we can go to on obvious pass rushing downs.

A Vernon, Marks, Odrick, Fowler front four can bring some rush
I agree. I believe the formation will be the same. We were actually pretty decent, if not good against the run for the most part of the year. I think we ranked in the top 10 in run defense for like 75% of the season and fell off a bit at the end. Ended 15th against the rush.

Quote:House?

Colvin?

Sample?

Not feelin any of those guys?
I'd add Arby Jones as a rotational Noase Tackle in there as well. He's still only 24 and is decent as a rusher as well.
Drafting rookies and expecting them to instantly make the defense better is a bad idea.. They tried that year 1.. Didnt work... Caldwell at times sounds like rookie gm trying anything out that will work..smh
Quote:Drafting rookies and expecting them to instantly make the defense better is a bad idea.. They tried that year 1.. Didnt work... Caldwell at times sounds like rookie gm trying anything out that will work..smh
Yeah... forget the whole free agency thing...
Quote:You're an absolute risk taker. You should get therapy for your gambling addiction.

So you think we will pick an offensive player at #5?

The word "if" means I am not addicted to gambling.
Quote:Aside from a center prospect in the 3rd-ish round, or a guard in case they want to move Cann to center, it should be a defensive sweep!

I would be happy with that, but if we can get a kicker in Round 7, it would be even better.
Quote:So you think we will pick an offensive player at #5?

The word "if" means I am not addicted to gambling.

He was being sarcastic. It's very obvious the Jags are picking a defensive guy in the 1st round. They are probably picking defense in most of the rounds. It's not a gamble if it's obvious.
Quote:Drafting rookies and expecting them to instantly make the defense better is a bad idea.. They tried that year 1.. Didnt work... Caldwell at times sounds like rookie gm trying anything out that will work..smh

What I like... Well shoot. I cant lie. I like the whole approach (except for the Knighton, D.Smith, Monroe, Rashad Jennings, Will Blackmon and Brandon Marshall departures. Oh, and Lowery)

But as far as their approach on fixing this team, building through the draft and supplementing with free agency, and the order and selection of draft picks (BAP vs need). Gotta say, I like where its going. Going out and getting guys to control the line like Marks and Parnell.

I even like the aggressive marketing strategy, renovations to the stadium and plans to improve the city of Jacksonville. There really is alot to like about whats going on. Home games played in London and the coaching staff coaching the senior bowl gives the team more relevance as well, imo. I heard Mike Dirocco mention the team's value is almost double what Shad paid for it.

True, we gotta start winning, but I for one see alot to like and nothing but better seasons on the horizon.
Quote:I'd add Arby Jones as a rotational Noase Tackle in there as well. He's still only 24 and is decent as a rusher as well.

Arby Jones, bringin the beef.
Pages: 1 2