Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Dan Skuta - starter or upgrade needed?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Would you guys be happy w/Skuta starting at Otto/Sam in 2016?

...or is an upgrade needed at this position?

I personally would like to see Vernon starting at Leo and Fowler at Otto/Sam
It makes sense to try Fowler there in certain situations in the preseason and I think someone with a bit more speed is needed at SAM/OTTO, but upgrading Skuta isn't a major priority.  I also don't think it's where they really intend to play Fowler.

They signed him to a 5 year deal and he did play through a sports hernia injury for a few games which may bode well for him, but his salary doesn't really match his effectiveness. (due 3.6 million in 2016)  Lucky for him, the jags can afford to keep him around while trying to upgrade him. 

Can be upgraded, but not the top priority.
echoing the sentiments thus far....he's upgradeable, but not a high priority.  His 2015 and 2016 salary (and 2015 roster bonus) is guaranteed in his 5 year deal.  There is no economic upside to let him go this year.  If DC does upgrade him, he's good depth and ST player. 

Just put Bruce Irvin there

Skuta isn't a star player but he isn't a weakness on the defense.

He plays yet another position that would be more effective if we could get more pressure from the front 4.

Getting pressure from the front 4 has a compounding effect on this scheme. That pressure makes another position more effective which makes another more effective which makes another.

He's Poz on the strong side. Steady, reliable, not going to make any plays that blow your mind. Can we upgrade him? Sure, but it's not like we're screwed if he starts again next year.

Skuta's actually made some eye-popping pressure/sacks this season. But with the issues we had all over the defense, wasn't given much of an opportunity. I think it might have been either the Saints or Texans game where he blitzed up the middle and an OL tried to take out his legs and he hurdled over him and exploded into the QB. I also remember at least a couple of sacks when we lined him up at LEO on passing downs

Par for the course, we had a penalty for secondary holding/interference or one of the LEOs were off-side. I don't recall.

He looked pretty solid when he played. No problem with him starting next year.
Quote:Would you guys be happy w/Skuta starting at Otto/Sam in 2016?

...or is an upgrade needed at this position?

I personally would like to see Vernon starting at Leo and Fowler at Otto/Sam

I wasn't really on board with the Free Agent signings Dave Caldwell made because I thought he paid too much money for little talent in key roles.  FS Sergio Brown for example, and Dan Skuta I thought wasnt a good fit for Otto either.

I could see them drafting (not the 1st or 2nd) but possibly a later round in an attempt to bring competition to this role.
Quote:Can be upgraded, but not the top priority.

My exact feeling.

Like everyone on the defense, he will improve with a better defensive line/pass rush.
Skuta would be a really solid backup. When I noticed him most last year, he was getting sealed off hard on the edge, usually immediately before a big run off-tackle.
starter 2016 , depth after that

I'm all for overhauling the linebacker position in the 2017 draft.
I like Skuta. Was solid when healthy. Add young depth and rotate for fresh legs.
Quote:Skuta would be a really solid backup. When I noticed him most last year, he was getting sealed off hard on the edge, usually immediately before a big run off-tackle.

This. Great backup to have, not starter material. Not strong enough.
Quote:Just put Bruce Irvin there
He's going to stay in Seattle probably.
If the upgrade is available, get that player. Skuta was serviceable this past season, but he will never become the OTTO that Gus envisions. Regardless, we need a couple more LBs. A guy to develop behind Poz, and a guy to compete with Skuta.
I like Skuta, but I think we need more situational substitution there.   We need a guy to split time who has more speed, who we can bring in or start as the particular situation/opponent warrants.  Same thing with Poz.   Neither Poz nor Skuta should be playing on 3rd and long.  We just don't have anybody behind those guys. 

We cant cover in the middle of the field and Poz is not bad enough yet were we can just dump him. He was a stud this year even though his ability to cover is his weakness, yes linebacker is a need and yes, Skuta could be upgraded. 

It would be nice to see more of him healthy before making a decision.

Pages: 1 2