Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Dante Fowler. What to expect of him?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I view Fowler as an extra 2016 first round pick.  He was robbed of his rookie year.  How much could he have learned from observing and studying tape?   Is it fair to expect him to be a difference maker in what is essentially his rookie year?  I would say yes because he was a top 3 pick.  Players picked inside the top 10 or in this case the top 5 should dramatically improve your team.

I don't expect a Derrick Harvey-like rookie season (terribad), but I do expect him to struggle most of the season. Which is why we need to address LEO/DE like we have no one at the position.
I'd say his skill level was already enough to be named starter. Having been with the team a year and seeing how to be a professional from the sidelines should only further cement that. Im not expecting a sack total like most people. Sacks are nice but they're just numbers. I want to see consistency, Improvement, and most of all, Impact. You can achieve all of that and not have a sexy sack number. 

Edit: Agreed somewhat with the above post, I expect way better than Harvey's first year. 

Probably like 4-6 sacks. Rookie pass rushers usually don't do much... Go look at Watt and Mack's rookie year.
Pressure behind the line.. Lots of it..
Honesty... I expect him to be a monster.
I expect him to be better than he would have been. He's got something to prove and he is going to play with vengeance. 

A high effort, solid but unspectacular all around complementary pass rusher/run stopper. Still need an alpha pass rusher though. 

*crickets*

100 sacks.

Per Game
Violent relentlessness
Wasn't there just a massive thread about this?

Assuming we grab another frontline pass rusher, I think he'll be someone who provides a decent amount of pressures, but not a ton of sacks. He'll make some great plays on the field solely due to his motor/hustle.

Quote:A high effort, solid but unspectacular all around complementary pass rusher/run stopper. Still need an alpha pass rusher though. 

I always felt Fowler would have a career trajectory similar to someone like Aaron Kampman. A fairly limited athlete who gets whose success comes from having a better motor than most other players on the field. End up with having a lot of 8ish sack seasons with a couple double digit ones in his prime as well as being a very good run defender for the position.
I see Terrell Suggs. A violent and fast player who will be all over the field causing havoc ever play. This is my expectation lol

Seriously though, his first year maybe 5-7 sacks, a forced fumble and a pick.
nothing

Draft/sign a "leo" as if he's not there.

That's the only fair way to treat him.  Zero expectations.

Let him give what he gives.

He will be a rookie.Don't expect much this year. We need help at DE via draft and FA
They will move him all over the field and put him in mismatches. I think he can get 8-10 sacks if he's a  fast learner. He's had a year to watch tape of O-Linemen and how to get to the QB in the NFL so maybe that will help.

I think Fowler's impact can be similar to Jabaal Sheard in New England. Their fans love him and think he's their best D-Line player.

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patr...d.1124412/

Rave about his versatility. PFF said he was first among 4-3 DE's in run support and pass rush productivity.

https://twitter.com/PFF/status/682570977717436418

Sheard is moved all over their D-Line and and is very versatile and plays with motor. A poster there called him Michael Bennett 2.0. I think the way Fowler will be used here will be very similar to Sheard, especially the way Dave was talking about him last week. He mentioned Fowler could be moved around and play standing up, at left end, right end, 3T in passing situations. Sounds very similar to how Seattle uses Bennett. Also, Fowler's combine results and Sheard's pro day are almost identical, Fowler is just faster.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsp...&genpos=DE

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsp...genpos=OLB

Also extremely similar physical measurables. Sheard is 6'3'' 264lbs with 33 1/2 inch arms. Fowler is 6'3'' 261lbs with 33 3/4 inch arms. Fowler is probably even more versatile because he can legitimately play linebacker and has the movement skills to do it. Fowler was also better at using his hands than Sheard coming out of college.

Overall I think Fowler can be the player Sheard is now immediately with the added bonus that he can be put at OTTO and let a guy like Olivier Vernon start at LEO to accommodate more talent and pass rushers on the defense without having to worry about sitting one of them.

Quote:nothing

Draft/sign a "leo" as if he's not there.

That's the only fair way to treat him. Zero expectations.

Let him give what he gives.

Exactly how I feel.

I wasn't that excited with the pick- I was hoping for Leonard Williams.

And then he got hurt immediately.

So that said, I have no expectations. Anything he provides will be gravy. Draft a guy. Sign a FA. If Fowler shows up, good.

Otherwise, I view last year's 1st almost like a lost pick.
I just hope he doesn't look too lost out there and improves as the year goes on.

Sacks aren't important but I can see him getting a few in mop up duty at least just because of his playing style.
Pages: 1 2 3