Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: The Jaguars Running Game
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Just how good can the Jaguars running game get next year. It was clear last year they could have used more push from their offensive line, and I see that being a bit of a focus this offseason. With the Jaguars having a boat load of cash to spend this offseason, there's reason to think they might just land Alex Mack at Center. They might also invest in a new LT. Cordy Glenn is probably re-signed by the Bills, however, I can see the Jaguars picking up Kelvin Beachum or Russell Okung knowing that Joekel can still start the season if they're not ready in time. Beachum suffered an ACL last October, and Okung suffered a shoulder injury in the Seahawks recent playoff game. Beadles is likely waived, so picture an offensive line made up of...

LT Russell Okung

LG AJ  Cann

C Alex Mack

RG Brandon Linder

RT Jermey Parnell

They'd still have Joekel, Shatley, Bowanko and Josh Wells for depth. At this point it's tough to know if Marron is returning as the OL Coach, although if he doesn't I have to think they'd bring in someone even better. At this point there's no reason to think Kelly Skipper, who came over with Olson from the Raiders, won't return as the Jaguars RB coach. Meanwhile, it does look like TE Marcedes Lewis is returning so he can play out his career with the team, and he's still an exceptional run blocker along with Clay Harbor. I never could quite tell if Julius Thomas did much for their running game.

With Caldwell not wanting to waste a roster spot on a FB I'm thinking we end up with 5 RBs. Alualu is under contract for one more season so he probably remains in the FB role, although he may face some competition there. At RB, I picture Pierce testing free agency possibly returning if he gets no offers, and I see them team waiving the albino rhino Toby Gerhart. This leaves five guys returning...

1. TJ Yeldon

2. Jonas Gray

3. Denard Robinson

4. Corey Grant

5. Joe Banyard

That said, I'm picturing a free agent joining the team knocking Banyard off this list. I don't see them looking at the top FA options like Doug Martin or Chris Ivory, but maybe someone like Ronnie Hillman or Bilal Powell.

If the Jaguars can intimidate a bit more with their running game, they can really get the play action working, and Bortles does really well when he can use a little play action. Let me know any and all thoughts you may have as it relates to the Jaguars running game including any insights you might have regarding TJ's future as the team's bell cow. While TJ can use more breakout speed to keep DBs from chasing him down, the kid has an uncanny knack for finding holes where there doesn't appear to be any.

Linder next to Parnell with even a mild upgrade at Center = Better Run Game.  

Obviously it won't stop there, and we'll see an UDFA or late pick thrown in to the RB mix at the least, but I think there's a good possibility we see

Yeldon/Gray/Shoelace/Grant on the depth chart next season. 

I think the run game will be fine with another year of O-Line development and another year of Bortles figuring out checks at the line.

How many times did you see the opponent load the crap out of the box and Bortles fail to check out of a gut run play? 

I know I saw it enough to turn my stomach. He'll get better at that and Yeldon should have a few more holes opening in front of him.

The run-game is low on my list of concerns. 

Alex Smith might be a little thin to play Center don't ya think? lol

Also, O'Halloran seems to think Marrone will be back.
Quote:Alex Smith might be a little thin to play Center don't ya think? lol

Also, O'Halloran seems to think Marrone will be back.

Err... Alex Mack.

I edited the post.

I would love 4 us to get another big Bama back, or another Taylor made back. Or both.
With Marrone back, Glenn might come our way if he is available
Quote:With Marrone back, Glenn might come our way if he is available

That would be so awesome. Most likely the Bills will franchise Cordy, but it would take every penny they got after cutting Mario Williams to do so.

I don't know that Okung would be such a significant upgrade as the guy is perpetually injured in some way. What I do know is that our run game looked bad because we couldn't make a hole. Usually because opposing defenses were always in our backfield.
Quote:I don't know that Okung would be such a significant upgrade as the guy is perpetually injured in some way. What I do know is that our run game looked bad because we couldn't make a hole. Usually because opposing defenses were always in our backfield.

Even if Russell only makes it through half the games and Joekel has to play the rest, both players will be healthy and ready to go when they do play. By having both players on the roster, especially with an aspiring young Josh Wells behind them, they'll have the position covered all year long. It's not an ideal situation, but it's the best plan I can think of short of somehow getting Cordy Glenn.

Kelvin Beachum would be in a similar situation coming off his ACL much like Marks this past season. The thing with ACLs is that guys often return about 8 to 10 months after the injury, then go through a sub-par season, and then are often back better than ever the following year back. So, with Beachum, you'd have Joekel starting every game until he's totally back and ready to go, and then maybe even later if Beachum slacks off. By 2017 Beachum should be good to start the entire season.

Okung is just injury prone, so you'd always have to have an adequate backup LT with him
Joek is a Joke, Young wasn't much better. Parnell I thought would be a good addition but he showed me alot of missed blocks and poor blocks. Cann should improve nicely, I think we need to draft an O-lineman 1st pick and wouldn't put it past them to get a 2nd in the 2nd. We for some reason just don't get great results from free agents all the time. 

Of course another option is to just get an old LT who can still play as a stop -gap until Joekel is fully developed. The Raiders Dolald Penn, who knows Oley well, and Wiz should he return, is one prime example. Jake Long might still have something in his tank, although he was the Falcons backup LT this past season.

Another name to add to the list of good young LTs with injury concerns is
Donald Stephenson.

Quote:Joek is a Joke, Young wasn't much better. Parnell I thought would be a good addition but he showed me alot of missed blocks and poor blocks. Cann should improve nicely, I think we need to draft an O-lineman 1st pick and wouldn't put it past them to get a 2nd in the 2nd. We for some reason just don't get great results from free agents all the time. 

Parnell was taking names early on when Linder was there, so I'm hoping he returns to form with Linder back.

Joeckel is not getting replaced with guys that are barely better than him if at all. We are drafting a running back and probably signing a good one in FA too if the opportunity presents itself. Grey is not gonna be the second back.

Quote:Just how good can the Jaguars running game get next year. It was clear last year they could have used more push from their offensive line, and I see that being a bit of a focus this offseason. With the Jaguars having a boat load of cash to spend this offseason, there's reason to think they might just land Alex Mack at Center. They might also invest in a new LT. Cordy Glenn is probably re-signed by the Bills, however, I can see the Jaguars picking up Kelvin Beachum or Russell Okung knowing that Joekel can still start the season if they're not ready in time. Beachum suffered an ACL last October, and Okung suffered a shoulder injury in the Seahawks recent playoff game. Beadles is likely waived, so picture an offensive line made up of...

LT Russell Okung

LG AJ  Cann

C Alex Mack

RG Brandon Linder

RT Jermey Parnell

They'd still have Joekel, Shatley, Bowanko and Josh Wells for depth. At this point it's tough to know if Marron is returning as the OL Coach, although if he doesn't I have to think they'd bring in someone even better. At this point there's no reason to think Kelly Skipper, who came over with Olson from the Raiders, won't return as the Jaguars RB coach. Meanwhile, it does look like TE Marcedes Lewis is returning so he can play out his career with the team, and he's still an exceptional run blocker along with Clay Harbor. I never could quite tell if Julius Thomas did much for their running game.

With Caldwell not wanting to waste a roster spot on a FB I'm thinking we end up with 5 RBs. Alualu is under contract for one more season so he probably remains in the FB role, although he may face some competition there. At RB, I picture Pierce testing free agency possibly returning if he gets no offers, and I see them team waiving the albino rhino Toby Gerhart. This leaves five guys returning...

1. TJ Yeldon

2. Jonas Gray

3. Denard Robinson

4. Corey Grant

5. Joe Banyard

That said, I'm picturing a free agent joining the team knocking Banyard off this list. I don't see them looking at the top FA options like Doug Martin or Chris Ivory, but maybe someone like Ronnie Hillman or Bilal Powell.

If the Jaguars can intimidate a bit more with their running game, they can really get the play action working, and Bortles does really well when he can use a little play action. Let me know any and all thoughts you may have as it relates to the Jaguars running game including any insights you might have regarding TJ's future as the team's bell cow. While TJ can use more breakout speed to keep DBs from chasing him down, the kid has an uncanny knack for finding holes where there doesn't appear to be any.
After noticing this thread I was hoping to fall upon some really good conversation. Instead, I traveled to what appears to be Fantasy Island. With all due respect because you're a moderator, why even mention Doug Martin or Ivory? If they go "anywhere" it won't be to Jacksonville. As far as Hillman is concerned, he's had a pretty decent year in Denver (that's the team playing for an AFC title) and if you're him......you gonna ponder to the Jags? I think maybe Caldwell has at least learned "something" from the Gerhart debacle. I'd be shocked if he is willing to throw around that kind of money again and besides no really decent RB is going to "want to" come here because A: TJ is thee man unless he got a memo stating otherwise and B: this OL is coming off a nightmare season yet again so what RB in their right mind is going to get excited about packing their FA bags and headin south. IF they decided to stick with what they have (including TG) and made remarkable improvements to their run blocking.........they'd be a really decent running team. No, the RB position doesn't need any more dollars focused there. Assuming they waive TG, that still leaves no rush to go out and shop for another RB in FA. If they have to have another one that bad............get him in the draft on the cheap and hope he is a sleeper pick. 
Quote:Joeckel is not getting replaced with guys that are barely better than him if at all. We are drafting a running back and probably signing a good one in FA too if the opportunity presents itself. Grey is not gonna be the second back.

The names I mentioned above are considerable upgrades over Joekel, they're merely as injury prone.

And I totally agree about the RB. That is, a guy like Ronnie Hillman or Bilal Powell would be the 2nd RB behind TJ.

Russell Okung is not a considerable upgrade over Joeckel.

D-Rob fumbles way too often, drops way too many important catches and while he can run good at times (usually to the outside unchallenged) he should be below Gray (if Gray continues to run in preseason the way he did in the last game of the season).  I am hoping the fumble blunder doesn't ruin Corey Grant's chances of shinning in Jacksonville as the man can run (very fast) and is a play maker.  I am having a hard time thinking who Banyard even is so their is that.

TJ Yeldon isn't going to explode for a 50 yard run like Corey Grant did in Preseason but the offense sure missed him while he was out (as Blake wasn't as productive without him).

That being said I wouldnt be shocked if the Jaguars drafted another RB (despite having so many potential RBs last year Slowby was another failure FA, Benard stunk, D-Rob was stopped way too often behind a weak OLine, the team needs a guy like Gray that can get tough yards & hopefully Corey Grant returns in the same condition prior to his injury.

Mack is going to make a killing off of a team while being over 30 and damaged goods. He had a mediocre year and got handled.

If Caldwell decides to upgrade the center position, I hope he finds an alternative to Mack.

Quote:Mack is going to make a killing off of a team while being over 30 and damaged goods. He had a mediocre year and got handled.

If Caldwell decides to upgrade the center position, I hope he finds an alternative to Mack.

After Mack the only realistic option is Lyle Sendlein, but he's a bit older than Mack.

Is DeAngelo Williams available next year? Bring him in to backup TJ!

*All kidding aside:

There have been alot of valid points already disused in this thread.

-Linder will be back

-Cann will be more experienced

-Bortles will continue to learn what he is seeing on the field (that is a VERY valid point by NYCJags,, Bortles is still young and inexperienced in key areas. Checking into/out of run plays based on what the defense is showing is absolutely critical. Bortles needs to develop that skill much further than where he's currently at. It's absolutely true).

-The offense (Bortles) will be much better with a solid running attack. Bortles won't have to rely solely on forcing the passing game,, he'll become much more dangerous and efficient playing off of a strong running game.

Jags02, some of the lineman from Cincy may be available next season. I believe that the Bengals have to try and re-sign some of those guys. But, they did draft a couple O-line guys in the early rounds last year. Maybe Cincy will not be able to keep a guy like Andre Smith. Idk

But yeah,, O-line must get better at run-blocking. Bortles must get better at checking in/out of running situations.
Pages: 1 2 3