Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Jaguars jump all the way up to # 3 in NFL Special Teams Composite Ranking in 2015 season
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
That's quite a jump from # 27 in 2014 to # 3 in 2015:

http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-c...r-improved

Interesting that according to that article the Jaguars had the best punt returner group in the league

Aside from Myers PA numbers looking like Shaquille O'Neal's free throw percentage, the ST were pretty good in 2015. 

The only time I really remember being frustrated with them were Marshall's fumble and a few coverage gaffs by the punting unit. 

Quote:Interesting that according to that article the Jaguars had the best punt returner group in the league

This was probably the # 1 reason why the Jaguars ranked so highly in total Special Teams in terms of the comprehensive formula used.
Quote:Aside from Myers PA numbers looking like Shaquille O'Neal's free throw percentage, the ST were pretty good in 2015. 

The only time I really remember being frustrated with them were Marshall's fumble and a few coverage gaffs by the punting unit. 

Compared to recent past seasons,  how would you assess the Jaguars penalty situation on Special Teams in the 2015 season?
G R E E N E.

Quote:Aside from Myers PA numbers looking like Shaquille O'Neal's free throw percentage, the ST were pretty good in 2015. 

I know. Myers needs to start every kicking drill with a few 33 yarders so those are gold. I still believe he can nail those better by easing back on how hard he kicks them. I've noticed nearly every PAT attempt of his flies over or near the top of the uprights. It only has to get over the crossbar.

That said, looking back at the PAT stats league-wide makes it clear that these are no longer automatic. The Cards kicker going into the NFC Championship Game has missed 5 PATs, just for an example. The Bills Dan Carpenter missed 6, just behind Myer's league leading 7 missed. A total of 29 kickers missed a PAT this season, and 10 of those missed at least 3 PATs. In all, there were 68 missed PATs during the regular season.

Quote:  Compared to recent past seasons,  how would you assess the Jaguars penalty situation on Special Teams in the 2015 season?
Well, there aren't a great number that stand out in my memory, so I'd gamble that they weren't very penalized in 2015 on ST.  

(though our o-line and secondary did their best to pick up the slack)

*edit - 14 ST penalties in '15.  13 in 2014  -  21 in 2012. 
Quote:Well, there aren't a great number that stand out in my memory, so I'd gamble that they weren't very penalized in 2015 on ST.  

(though our o-line and secondary did their best to pick up the slack)

*edit - 14 ST penalties in '15.  13 in 2014  -  21 in 2012. 

Thanks for the information.

What stands out is there's a noticeably lower difference of Special Teams penalties compared to the one season under the Jaguars previous coaching staff.  
Quote:That's quite a jump from # 27 in 2014 to # 3 in 2015:

http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-c...r-improved
Greene was a big part of that.
I know he may of had a concussion, but that Bernard Pierce block when he was supposed to tackle on that Bucs punt return should have us lower than #3. 

Quote:I know he may of had a concussion, but that Bernard Pierce block when he was supposed to tackle on that Bucs punt return should have us lower than #3.

Haha that was bad
Quote:I know he may of had a concussion, but that Bernard Pierce block when he was supposed to tackle on that Bucs punt return should have us lower than #3. 

Maybe they gave us credit for his block? :thumbsup:
In 2014, we had a lot of blocked kicks. The special teams did improve and should only get better with more talent on defense, and a more consistent kicker.

Also, please keep Marshall off kick returns.
....if only it was #3 composite defense instead of special teams.

Quote:Interesting that according to that article the Jaguars had the best punt returner group in the league
We do decent on returns, and we did get a TD, that doesn't happen every year. But they must count 'extra points' as part of the offense to have our special teams ranked so high.
Quote:I know. Myers needs to start every kicking drill with a few 33 yarders so those are gold. I still believe he can nail those better by easing back on how hard he kicks them. I've noticed nearly every PAT attempt of his flies over or near the top of the uprights. It only has to get over the crossbar.

That said, looking back at the PAT stats league-wide makes it clear that these are no longer automatic. The Cards kicker going into the NFC Championship Game has missed 5 PATs, just for an example. The Bills Dan Carpenter missed 6, just behind Myer's league leading 7 missed. A total of 29 kickers missed a PAT this season, and 10 of those missed at least 3 PATs. In all, there were 68 missed PATs during the regular season.
Yet, Myers was still the worst with the MOST MISSED PATs in the NFL... and didn't have the same volume of attempts as the others, either.

There's no justifying it... Myers is not good and has no business being with the team in 2016.
Why don't we use Lee as a PR or KR

SPRINKLES! SPRINKLES!

Nevermind the #32 head coach, #31 O line, #31 scoring defense, #26 running game, and #31 kicker rankings.

Quote:Why don't we use Lee as a PR or KR

Because Greene is a very good PR and they like Nick Marshall on KR.  He averaged 26.6 yards on 13 returns. 
Pages: 1 2