Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Alternatives to Comcast?!?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Need suggestions
If you're one of the lucky ones still grandfathered into unlimited data on AT&T, you're allowed up to 22GB of data before they throttle you, and you can just use your phone as a mobile hotspot. Granted, if they catch you tethering, they'll take away unlimited data and put you on a stupid-expensive 5GB metered plan instead, but there are plenty of ways to hide a tether if you're willing to get creative.

I went with ATT (internet only) when I moved back to Jax a few months ago because after trying to get comcast/xfinity (and being let down by idiot after idiot) for 2 months I decided that dealing with those morons wasn't worth the added speed. 

So - I'm plodding along at 25MPS but I had service within 4 days of calling them and spoke to actual humans on the same continent to get it done.

Quote:I went with ATT (internet only) when I moved back to Jax a few months ago because after trying to get comcast/xfinity (and being let down by idiot after idiot) for 2 months I decided that dealing with those morons wasn't worth the added speed.

So - I'm plodding along at 25MPS but I had service within 4 days of calling them and spoke to actual humans on the same continent to get it done.

I have only internet service with Comcast. I allocate 45 minutes of time to deal with their customer service on the phone regardless of the complexity of the issue. I simply don't understand how that entity stays in business.

Is satellite TV not an option? I know many apartment dwellers can't use it.
Quote:I have only internet service with Comcast. I allocate 45 minutes of time to deal with their customer service on the phone regardless of the complexity of the issue. I simply don't understand how that entity stays in business.

Customer service is the exact reason that I dumped Comcast for television, and went with DirecTV.  Half of the time I get some bonehead that I can tell is just reading a script, and I almost always know more than the idiot on the other end of the line.

That said, I absolutely have to have their internet service for work.  I can't avoid it.  Fortunately, it has been reliable (for the most part).
Quote:I have only internet service with Comcast. I allocate 45 minutes of time to deal with their customer service on the phone regardless of the complexity of the issue. I simply don't understand how that entity stays in business.

Satellite TV is do-able here. (renting a home on the southside until I can buy near the beach) 

But I don't require it. 

Right now we are happy saving the money and just running television through Apple TV (and Kodi from an android tablet.)

I cut the TV cord years ago in NYC and have continued the tradition down here since I'm aggressively saving that downpayment dough.

Obviously the HD streaming would be better with a faster internet connection, but we've had only a few hiccups so far that lasted 10 seconds or less. 
We had uverse for a couple of years, but the internet service stunk. We went with Comcast (had it for 10 years before), but for some reason their new "X1 Platform", whatever that is, constantly goes out. They said we're too far from the pole. Something about this new service they now offer is causing a lot of people problems. 

I'm kind of bummed because the new look Comcast is pretty cool! Buuuuut, when it goes down constantly, both internet and TV, it's unacceptable. 

I think I'll check out Direct TV, it works for Rob Lowe. 

Despite always having issues, we continue to use Comcast TV and internet. We could probably ditch their cable for something better, but I don't think you'll get faster internet speeds anywhere else.

Oh how I wish Google Fiber makes its way down to South Florida soon.

Quote:Despite always having issues, we continue to use Comcast TV and internet. We could probably ditch their cable for something better, but I don't think you'll get faster internet speeds anywhere else.

Oh how I wish Google Fiber makes its way down to South Florida soon.
I don't want to get rid of comcast, but we've had 3 techs at the house in a little over a month, they put in a booster, but that's still not working, although it's gotten better. 
I use a T-Mobile hotspot / phone tethering for internet and tv streaming (netflix etc...) and an antenna for live tv.

Quote:I use a T-Mobile hotspot / phone tethering for internet and tv streaming (netflix etc...) and an antenna for live tv.
I really don't need cable, per se. I have apple TV which I  Love  but I do like the luxury of having network tv, games, etc. available. I do internet though to run the apple TV. I'm probably not going to tether anything as I wouldn't know where to start! But, thanks for the suggestion.
Would love to get Verizon Fios here in Jacksonville.

Cheaper and faster than Comcast (at the time I had Fios). Better service too.

Quote:I really don't need cable, per se. I have apple TV which I  Love  but I do like the luxury of having network tv, games, etc. available. I do internet though to run the apple TV. I'm probably not going to tether anything as I wouldn't know where to start! But, thanks for the suggestion.

Tethering is the same as the mobile hotspot, it just turns your mobile phone into a wifi hotspot.  It already comes with the phone.  You just enable it in settings.  I can play netflix/hulu/amazon prime on my roku and smart tv using the mobile hotspots.  I basically had AT&T and couldn't stand them anymore so I cut the coord completely.  The advantage is that wireless internet is way more reliable.  But mobile data is still very expensive (though it is likely going to get gradually cheaper in the future).  My T-Mobile hotspot is $80 a month for 13 GB, and I also have an unlimited plan with my phone for $80 (but just 7GB tethering).  If you stream all the time (which I don't) it's probably not the best option, even though I notice half the time when I stream it doesn't even count against my data.  
Quote:We had uverse for a couple of years, but the internet service stunk. We went with Comcast (had it for 10 years before), but for some reason their new "X1 Platform", whatever that is, constantly goes out. They said we're too far from the pole. Something about this new service they now offer is causing a lot of people problems. 

I'm kind of bummed because the new look Comcast is pretty cool! Buuuuut, when it goes down constantly, both internet and TV, it's unacceptable. 

I think I'll check out Direct TV, it works for Rob Lowe. 

Why wouldn't you just move closer to the pole?  Comcast will xfer your services.

Problem solved

:thumbsup:   :woot:
comcast blast internet

sling tv

ota antenna for local networks

Ive had blast internet(75mbps down) for about 2 years now at 39.99. Had to talk to comcast CS to get that price. Never had luck getting that rate calling in the morning or afternoon. Even had one rep from retention call my bluff on cancelling. The most helpful reps I have gotten are in the evening times. They are usually from foreign countries, but seem more flexible. You just have to be patient with them and straightforward. Tell them what you want, at what price. If you log into your xfinity account and go to the shop/upgrade tab, you will find blast internet offered at 39.99. This is for new customers, but you can say its being advertised to you, so it should be honored. There are also some decent bundles on that page if you dont want to do ota and sling tv.

Since comcast has no data caps for florida as of now, sling tv was a no brainer. $20 a month gets you espn, amc, tbs, tnt, cnn and about 60 other channels.

For local channels, an ota antenna was my decision.

Quote:I don't want to get rid of comcast, but we've had 3 techs at the house in a little over a month, they put in a booster, but that's still not working, although it's gotten better. 

Keep on them until its "perfect". It took nearly 6 techs and 6 weeks to finally realize that it wasn't an issue in my home, but on their node. Once the kinks are figured out, my only issues with comcast have been pricing,

Quote:Tethering is the same as the mobile hotspot, it just turns your mobile phone into a wifi hotspot.  It already comes with the phone.  You just enable it in settings.  I can play netflix/hulu/amazon prime on my roku and smart tv using the mobile hotspots.  I basically had AT&T and couldn't stand them anymore so I cut the coord completely.  The advantage is that wireless internet is way more reliable.  But mobile data is still very expensive (though it is likely going to get gradually cheaper in the future).  My T-Mobile hotspot is $80 a month for 13 GB, and I also have an unlimited plan with my phone for $80 (but just 7GB tethering).  If you stream all the time (which I don't) it's probably not the best option, even though I notice half the time when I stream it doesn't even count against my data.  
Oh. Ok, yes, I've done that. I do not have unlimited data, so I don't do it often unless COMCAST GOES OUT! Smile

The dude came today and said he fixed it. He said the signal was TOO STRONG. The last guy said the signal was TOO WEAK. 

-______-
Quote:Oh. Ok, yes, I've done that. I do not have unlimited data, so I don't do it often unless COMCAST GOES OUT! Smile

The dude came today and said he fixed it. He said the signal was TOO STRONG. The last guy said the signal was TOO WEAK.

-______-

Are you dealing with Comcast or Goldilocks??
Quote:Are you dealing with Comcast or Goldilocks??
Made me laff.....

I just want it "JUST RIGHT". 

I may have also said "what do we have to do sit on the pole for it to work?!?!" oooffff, bad choice of words. 
Alternatives for television?  Sure

Alternatives for internet?  Nope, we'll there's ATT but that isn't a realistic alternative unless you want to pay more for less.

relevant clip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0sAVtOt2wA

Pages: 1 2