Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Bortles most sacked QB..
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
<a class="bbc_url" href='http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/passing/sort/sacks'>http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/passing/sort/sacks</a>

Interesting that Bortles is the most sack Qb, especially seeing the fact we bought in Marrone in to fix that issue..

What does this really say about Marrone??
Can't teach a rat to be a duck

I agree.  It says a lot about Marrone.  He's just not fit to replace Luke Joeckel at Left Tackle.  He's a bit too old for it too at 51.  

It is also interesting that he rolled out a lot away from the problem side of the line and the numbers were still that high.

Imagine if it were still Henne behind the line.

If you listen to Caldwell, he seems to be okay with Joeckel.  Not sure that I agree. 

Man the Jags are in a tough place! From Gm, to head coach, to oline coach, to players like Joeckel who was drafted! It just dont look good for the home team... They have to start cutting the Dead Weight!
There's nothing wrong with the GM.  Caldwell is doing a good job.

Quote:Man the Jags are in a tough place! From Gm, to head coach, to oline coach, to players like Joeckel who was drafted! It just dont look good for the home team... They have to start cutting the Dead Weight!
They should start on the MB.

Are you volunteering?
Quote:<a class="bbc_url" href='http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/passing/sort/sacks'>http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/passing/sort/sacks</a>

Interesting that Bortles is the most sack Qb, especially seeing the fact we bought in Marrone in to fix that issue..

....that he cut the team's sack total by 20.
I've been throwing the most sacked QB thing at people all season. "Man I still don't know about Bortles. He makes bad decisions. "

He's been the most sacked QB for 2 years. He was the most sacked last year and played in 13 friggin games. Remember what we did to Gabbert? Yea well we did the same thing to Bortles, he's just that naturally gifted at football.

It would be an unforgivable sin if this oline doesn't get a bunch of attention these next 2 years.
Quote:It is also interesting that he rolled out a lot away from the problem side of the line and the numbers were still that high.

Imagine if it were still Henne behind the line.

Henne would've taken 60 sacks or more this year.
Quote:They should start on the MB.

Are you volunteering?
After you!
I agree that Marrone fell well short of expectations as an OL coach. There's all this worry about him going since he's such an intriguing prospect as a former head coach, but the Jaguars can do better at his position. Even if Marrone is kept the Jaguars should find a slightly different position for him while bringing in a new OL coach. In particular the run blocking this season was attrocious.

That said, the pass blocking wasn't quite as bad as this looks. Granted there's not much good one can say about "league worst," however, keep in mind that the Jaguars OL is required to hold longer to keep Blake's deep passing game going. Also, this year with Blake taking 3.2 sacks per start is still a marked improvement over last season when he sustained 4.2 sacks per start.

Quote:After you!
I'm not the one suggesting to cut perfectly good players, coaches, and general mangers

the only dead weight around J-Ville is you, StroudCrowd, Thundercat.....

Clemons and Branch
Quote:<a class="bbc_url" href='http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/passing/sort/sacks'>http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/passing/sort/sacks</a>

Some of you just don't get it, "the Jaguars gave up a lot of sacks, Marrone Sucks!" "The Jaguars can't get any pressure on opposing QB's, Gus Bradley and Todd Walsh Suck!" Has it ever occurred to you that there might be a personnel problem? We were without our best offensive linemen practically the entire year, the left side of our line featured Luke Joeckel and Zane Beadles, both are below average to bad starters. Our passing game is designed to attack defenses downfield, which means Blake has to hold on to the ball longer, which can lead to sacks. Also, Blake is a QB that likes to extend plays, the benefit of that is big plays downfield, the downside to that is taking unnecessary sacks. But no, let's not consider these factors and blame the coaches for everything.

Quote:....that he cut the team's sack total by 20.
See...this is what I'm wrestling with.

At face value, yes that's exactly what happened.

But then, if you just look at Bortles' sack numbers, you'd see the numbers are not that far off from 2014.  Bortles was sacked 55 times his rookie year.  This past season, he was sacked 51 times, with 8 coming this last game.

Looking overall-yes that 20 sack reduction represents substantial improvement.  But looking at the punishment Bortles is taking, it's not a substantial improvement.

I think playing with more leads, shorter fields, and running the ball more effectively and consistently, in addition to Bortles gaining another year's experience, that number should reduce more.

But pass protection remains a concern for me.

I think people got a good dose of reality this season in how progression really looks. Last year we gave up 71 sacks. This year we gave up 51. That is huge improvement in giving up 20 less sacks but in comparison that number is still way to high. The reality is this team was in a bad spot and changes have been made to improve the team. Improvement is happening it just takes a little longer than most hoped for.
Quote:If you listen to Caldwell, he seems to be okay with Joeckel.  Not sure that I agree. 

Great misrepresentation of what Caldwell said (or didn't say) about Joeckel. 
Quote:Great misrepresentation of what Caldwell said (or didn't say) about Joeckel. 

Haha exactly, Caldwell said he "thinks" Luke can be the long-term answer at LT, that's far from an endorsement.
Quote:See...this is what I'm wrestling with.

At face value, yes that's exactly what happened.

But then, if you just look at Bortles' sack numbers, you'd see the numbers are not that far off from 2014.  Bortles was sacked 55 times his rookie year.  This past season, he was sacked 51 times, with 8 coming this last game.

Looking overall-yes that 20 sack reduction represents substantial improvement.  But looking at the punishment Bortles is taking, it's not a substantial improvement.

I think playing with more leads, shorter fields, and running the ball more effectively and consistently, in addition to Bortles gaining another year's experience, that number should reduce more.

But pass protection remains a concern for me.
The line is going to be a focus for the team this off season.

The sack totals did drop by 20 from 2014.  How many of the 51 sacks were actually because Bortles still needs to learn to give up on a play and not hold the ball as long as he does at times?  Granted, the line is responsible for a huge majority of the sacks, but some of them fall squarely on his shoulders, and with more development, he should be able to clean that up. 

The team is most likely going to look for a replacement at C, and they'll probably bring in serious competition for the LT position.  When the GM is saying he thinks his LT can become that long-term solution at the position, and we're talking about a guy going into year 4 of his contract, he's saying there will be work done there.  He's telling Luke that he needs to put on his big boy pants and man up, otherwise he'll be replaced.  He'll have to earn his position next year.

I don't see how any of this is really an indictment of Marrone.  Look at how quickly he was able to develop a guy like Linder prior to his injury, as well as AJ.  The fact that these guys have the potential to be long-term solutions along the line is an endorsement of the good job he did.  Sack numbers don't necessarily reflect on the coaching, especially when the left side of the line was suspect from the start.  Sacks do reflect on a lack of talent at certain spots.  It also reflects on receivers getting open, and the QB getting the ball out on time.  Using sack totals as any sort of indictment of a coach is short sighted.
Pages: 1 2 3