Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Bortles Mixing Up His OffSeason Training
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
This seems like a good thing to me.  (we need one)

Despite all of our varying thoughts on the HC and the tough losses - Blake getting in a follow up session with Tom House out west and then spending (potentially more) time working with Jags receivers  - that's a good thing.  Pretty good read on it here:

http://espn.go.com/blog/jacksonville-jag...t?id=16420

We'll all hold out collective breath about fixing the defense and shoring up the O-Line, but I think we can safely be excited about The QB and WR situation moving forward. 

I know this will work on his mechanics and what not but how does he get better at pre-snap and in-play reading of defenses?  That's what killed him this year with all the bad INTs.

Not a troll post but really asking?  Does that come from him working with his QB coach?  OC?  Does Tom House help at all in that realm?  Just more experience?

Exactly, Jeremy!

Bortles' issues are mental. Physically, he has it all, but if you cant go to a line, identify the defense and it's weaknesses, and make adjustments as warranted, well, that's just a head issue.

Quote:I know this will work on his mechanics and what not but how does he get better at pre-snap and in-play reading of defenses? That's what killed him this year with all the bad INTs.

Not a troll post but really asking? Does that come from him working with his QB coach? OC? Does Tom House help at all in that realm? Just more experience?

That comes from being a 2nd year QB in an offense that is often playing from behind with little to no run production in most games.
Getting better with pre snap reads comes from watching film I would think.
Learning from experience and not seeing something for the first time will help him also!
Quote:I know this will work on his mechanics and what not but how does he get better at pre-snap and in-play reading of defenses?  That's what killed him this year with all the bad INTs.

Not a troll post but really asking?  Does that come from him working with his QB coach?  OC?  Does Tom House help at all in that realm?  Just more experience?

That's the responsibility of Hackett and Olson.  And the film room.

Those guys should help him really identify those mistakes  -

areas where he "locked-on", should have audibled, missed the open guy, or got baited into a pick.

Keeping the same offense will help him immensely in this - since he's got the meat and potatoes already digested. 

Switching from blondes to brunettes?

I like it!   :thumbsup:

Quote:That's the responsibility of Hackett and Olson.  Keeping the same offense will help him immensely in this - since he's got the meat and potatoes already digested. 
That too! He'll have another season in the same offense. That should be extremely valuable for his further development. 
Quote:Switching from blondes to brunettes?

I like it! :thumbsup:
Nah just by pass the brunettes and get a redhead! :thumbsup:
Quote:Nah just by pass the brunettes and get a redhead! :thumbsup:

That's taking up to the all-pro level, I don't know if he's ready for that yet.
BB5's off-season training partner.

[Image: ea86bd5c908c0701.png?7685cf]

Quote:BB5's off-season training partner.

Form and mechanics. Form and mechanics.
Hopefully he plays plenty of Madden so he can better his pre-snap game, just like Teddy Bridgewater does.
I want Bortles to try something like this for Vision Training.

http://www.advancedvisiontherapycenter.c.../football/

http://www.spireinstitute.org/training/m...our-vision

It seems crazy, but it wouldn't hurt and may help him speed up pre-snap reads and decision making. Best QB's know where they are throwing before snap. That does take experience, but those skills would definitely help him. 

Good to hear. You can never work too much on your fundamentals.

Quote:That's the responsibility of Hackett and Olson.  And the film room.

Those guys should help him really identify those mistakes  -

areas where he "locked-on", should have audibled, missed the open guy, or got baited into a pick.

Keeping the same offense will help him immensely in this - since he's got the meat and potatoes already digested. 

Fair enough!  I think if he could improve his pre-snap reads and in-play decisions just 50%-ish that he could lead this team to the playoffs and would be a top QB in this league.
Hopefully Thomas joins them this offseason so they can get on the same page.

I like in the article where Blake said that chad doesn't throw much in the offseason. I just got a slight chuckle over that one.
Quote:BB5's off-season training partner.

Seriously she was really coming on to him in that interview.  She asked if he like busty blondes then wanted to drink wine with him after the shoot.  For us married guys we know what wine does to the ladies.
Quote:but how does he get better at pre-snap and in-play reading of defenses?  That's what killed him this year with all the bad INTs.

you answered your own question. experience. and not having to press as much as the run game, o-line, and defense gets better.
Pages: 1 2