Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Rashad Greene the next Antonio Brown?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
TL;DR post

Before you guys laugh at me, hear me out. Before Antonio Brown was Antonio Brown, he was a 6th round draft pick. He was seen as undersized and not quite fast enough to make up for it, and no one thought he'd be able to be this dynamic playmaker he is today. He was overlooked by scouts because he didn't fit the conventional mold of a stud wide receiver. Here were his combine measurables:

Height: 5101

Weight: 186lbs

Arms: 31''

Hands: 9''

40 time: 4.57

20 time: 2.64

10 time: 1.58

Vert: 33.5''

Broad: 8'09''

20 yard split: 4.18

3-cone: 6.98

And for his rookie season, he largely went unnoticed. These were the numbers for his rookie year:

9 games played, 16 receptions, 19 targets, 167 yards, 10.4avg

Not spectacular at all. He dealt with injury for much of his rookie season and was not a factor in the Steelers' passing game. He broke out his second year though. While it may have come out of nowhere to some, there were a couple of indicators that he could be a factor given a chance and a year's experience in the NFL. To me these factors were 1) his college production, where he posted over 900 yards three straight years at Central Michigan, 2) the fact he looked faster on the field than his listed speed times at the combine, and 3) this goes to the last point, his production in the kick return game his rookie season. While Brown wasn't a big part on offense his rookie season, he was a huge part on special teams. Here are his kickoff and punt return numbers:

KR: 17 attempts, 397 yards, 23.4 yards per attempt, 1TD

PR: 19 attempts, 110 yards, 5.8 yards per attempt

He proved to be a dynamic player with the ball in his hands on STs his rookie year, the first indicator that he could be a major factor in this league, and once he was able to stay healthy and get a chance to show his stuff on offense his sophomore season he broke out, and did in the NFL what he did at Central Michigan.

Moving on to our guy Rashad Greene, I see many similarities between he and AB. Much like AB, he was knocked for his frame and lack of visible elite traits leading up to the draft. Looking at Rashad's combine results, his numbers are remarkably similar to AB's:

Height: 5113

Weight: 182lbs

40 time: 4.53

20 time: 2.67

10 time: 1.63

Vert: 36.5''

Broad: 10'02''

20 yard split: 4.12

3-cone: 6.88

Going off combine numbers alone, you could make the argument Greene is a slightly BETTER athlete than AB. But all the same, he was knocked for the reasons I mentioned above, the same reasons AB was knocked. And, also like AB, his rookie season on offense was unspectacular.

9 games played, 19 receptions, 35 targets, 93 yards, 4.9avg, 2TDs

Like AB, Greene's rookie year was largely marred in injury and he was not a factor on offense. They even played the same amount of games. However, much like AB, what we've seen this year is that, when given the ball in his hands on STs, Greene has proven to be electric.

PR: 18 attempts, 301 yards, 16.7 yards per attempt, 1TD

Greene's ypa on punt returns is phenomenal, maybe even unbelievable. It could pass for a KR average. We've seen him avoid hits, slither and hit gaps quick, and look faster than his posted speed times. Much like AB, Greene was highly productive in college and broke FSU's receiving yardage record. These should all be indicators that Greene is likely much better than he showed on offense during his rookie season. One noticeable difference between the two is drops. Greene struggled with them this year. Greene was never prone to drops at FSU. But reading a T-U article yesterday where Caldwell reviewed the '15 draft class, he reminded me that Greene's injury was to his thumb, and he would likely have been a far greater presence on offense if not for it. Caldwell also pointed out that Greene's movement skills and understanding of space in the endzone are far more advanced than the typical rookie. 

I'm not trying to suggest Greene will put up the same numbers as AB next year, because AB was able to establish himself as the number 1 in Pittsuburg's offense while we already have Allen Robinson here. However, I do believe Greene will prove to be a very good receiver next year and no one should be surprised if we're talking about Greene as another dynamite offensive weapon on this squad come this time next year. 

I don't think Rashad Greene had the luxury of being raised by the Michael Jordan of Arena Football like Brown was.

I'm gonna wait until he cracks 100 career receiving yards before comparing him to arguably the best receiver in football. You do you, though.

Greene is exciting as heck with the ball in his hands. I really think he can be the ultimate slot WR, but he simply has to stop dropping passes. In the meantime, he's already proving to be the answer on punt returns. I suspect he's in for a breakout season next year.

From time to time I like keeping track of a basic WR ranking. Looking toward next year I currently have Greene in the third spot...

1. Allen Robinson

2. Allen Hurns

3. Rashad Greene

4. Marqise Lee

5. Bryan Walters (free agent)

6. Arrelious Benn

7. Neal Sterling

8. Tony Washington

9. Rashad Lawrence

10. Shaq Evans

11. Damian Copeland

12. Rasheed Bailey

The suspended Justin Blackmon has now been out of football so long, I can't even place him.

If only these "comparisons" all came true.  We would have an all pro team the way our teal colored glasses enhance our vision.  Bortles is the next Roethlisberger, Greene is the next Antonio Brown.  I guess Joeckel will be the next Boselli, Yeldon the next Taylor.  Allen Robinson is the next Jerry Rice, Hurns is the next Jimmy Smith, Dante Fowler is the next LT, Colvin the next Rod Woodson, Cyprien the next Ed Reed, Telvin Smith the next Ray Lewis.  I know I've heard some of these comparisons, others I've added for S&G's. 

I think Greene has the chance to be a good role player, probably not the best receiver in the league. 

I stopped laughing at you after I started reading, good post.

One thing that will matter is opportunity. He's gonna have to win the #3 WR spot in order to see significant time on offense next year. I don't recall how/why AB originally started getting playtime on offense, but Greene would need a few things to go his way just to see the field. I'm certainly intrigued by the possibility though, Greene really looked like he belonged out there with the ball in his hands as a rookie.
Greene has already become a good roleplayer for the team. Maybe next year, he breaks out and becomes a star. As of right now, I feel he was a steal in the 5th round.
Quote:If only these "comparisons" all came true.  We would have an all pro team the way our teal colored glasses enhance our vision.  Bortles is the next Roethlisberger, Greene is the next Antonio Brown.  I guess Joeckel will be the next Boselli, Yeldon the next Taylor.  Allen Robinson is the next Jerry Rice, Hurns is the next Jimmy Smith, Dante Fowler is the next LT, Colvin the next Rod Woodson, Cyprien the next Ed Reed, Telvin Smith the next Ray Lewis.  I know I've heard some of these comparisons, others I've added for S&G's. 

I think Greene has the chance to be a good role player, probably not the best receiver in the league. 
Don't hate my man, appreciate our good talent. 
Stefon Diggs more looks like Brown IMO. Greene is a nice addition though
Not hating, just tempering some expectations.  He was drafted in the 5th round for a reason, no need to pump him up only to be disappointed by unreal expectations.  If he can be a good 3rd/4th WR for the team then I'd say it was a very good draft pick.  Anything better than that is gravy.

His hands suck
Quote:His hands suck

Which doesn't make any sense...as I recall, Greene had a reputation for being sure-handed coming out of FSU. Wonder where the dropsies came from all of a sudden...?
Quote:Which doesn't make any sense...as I recall, Greene had a reputation for being sure-handed coming out of FSU. Wonder where the dropsies came from all of a sudden...?

Guys hit harder in the NFL. Could be hearing footsteps.

I think Greene will be a GREAT returner. WR? Not sure yet.
Greene is electric tho. In the rare sequence our defense actually stops an offense on third down, I was always anxiously waiting for Greene to take another one to the house. His vision is awesome..... I mean cmon, remember ace sanders? *dry heave*
Quote: I guess Joeckel will be the next Boselli, 
:woot:

See.... that's funny right there.
Quote:TL;DR post

Before you guys laugh at me, hear me out. Before Antonio Brown was Antonio Brown, he was a 6th round draft pick. He was seen as undersized and not quite fast enough to make up for it, and no one thought he'd be able to be this dynamic playmaker he is today. He was overlooked by scouts because he didn't fit the conventional mold of a stud wide receiver. Here were his combine measurables:

Height: 5101

Weight: 186lbs

40 time: 4.57

20 time: 2.64

10 time: 1.58

Vert: 33.5''

Broad: 8'09''

20 yard split: 4.18

3-cone: 6.98

And for his rookie season, he largely went unnoticed. These were the numbers for his rookie year:

9 games played, 16 receptions, 19 targets, 167 yards, 10.4avg

Not spectacular at all. He dealt with injury for much of his rookie season and was not a factor in the Steelers' passing game. He broke out his second year though. While it may have come out of nowhere to some, there were a couple of indicators that he could be a factor given a chance and a year's experience in the NFL. To me these factors were 1) his college production, where he posted over 900 yards three straight years at Central Michigan, 2) the fact he looked faster on the field than his listed speed times at the combine, and 3) this goes to the last point, his production in the kick return game his rookie season. While Brown wasn't a big part on offense his rookie season, he was a huge part on special teams. Here are his kickoff and punt return numbers:

KR: 17 attempts, 397 yards, 23.4 yards per attempt, 1TD

PR: 19 attempts, 110 yards, 5.8 yards per attempt

He proved to be a dynamic player with the ball in his hands on STs his rookie year, the first indicator that he could be a major factor in this league, and once he was able to stay healthy and get a chance to show his stuff on offense his sophomore season he broke out, and did in the NFL what he did at Central Michigan.

Moving on to our guy Rashad Greene, I see many similarities between he and AB. Much like AB, he was knocked for his frame and lack of visible elite traits leading up to the draft. Looking at Rashad's combine results, his numbers are remarkably similar to AB's:

Height: 5113

Weight: 182lbs

40 time: 4.53

20 time: 2.67

10 time: 1.63

Vert: 36.5''

Broad: 10'02''

20 yard split: 4.12

3-cone: 6.88

Going off combine numbers alone, you could make the argument Greene is a slightly BETTER athlete than AB. But all the same, he was knocked for the reasons I mentioned above, the same reasons AB was knocked. And, also like AB, his rookie season on offense was unspectacular.

9 games played, 19 receptions, 35 targets, 93 yards, 4.9avg, 2TDs

Like AB, Greene's rookie year was largely marred in injury and he was not a factor on offense. They even played the same amount of games. However, much like AB, what we've seen this year is that, when given the ball in his hands on STs, Greene has proven to be electric.

PR: 18 attempts, 301 yards, 16.7 yards per attempt, 1TD

Greene's ypa on punt returns is phenomenal, maybe even unbelievable. It could pass for a KR average. We've seen him avoid hits, slither and hit gaps quick, and look faster than his posted speed times. Much like AB, Greene was highly productive in college and broke FSU's receiving yardage record. These should all be indicators that Greene is likely much better than he showed on offense during his rookie season. One noticeable difference between the two is drops. Greene struggled with them this year. Greene was never prone to drops at FSU. But reading a T-U article yesterday where Caldwell reviewed the '15 draft class, he reminded me that Greene's injury was to his thumb, and he would likely have been a far greater presence on offense if not for it. Caldwell also pointed out that Greene's movement skills and understanding of space in the endzone are far more advanced than the typical rookie. 

I'm not trying to suggest Greene will put up the same numbers as AB next year, because AB was able to establish himself as the number 1 in Pittsuburg's offense while we already have Allen Robinson here. However, I do believe Greene will prove to be a very good receiver next year and no one should be surprised if we're talking about Greene as another dynamite offensive weapon on this squad come this time next year. 

Eeeaaaassssy there, big fellah.  Eaaasssyy . . .
Quote:I stopped laughing at you after I started reading, good post.

Me too. :thumbsup:
Quote:His hands suck

I think that is pretty common for NFL rookies, Arob and Hurns had plenty of drops in year one.  I would love for him to develop into a AB type player.  He has a good player to model himself after at the least.
Probably not
He's going to be the number 4th or 5th target for catches for the next few years.
Pages: 1 2