Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Bortles threw 18 picks this year
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Highest in the NFL.

He did break Brunell's record and kill it in TD's but on the other side of the coin this is a concern.

I wonder who's gonna first say fire the coaches for it cause he bad.
That's going to happen when you literally played from behind in the 4th quarter every single game except for one

When you throw 35 TDs, second only to Brady, 18 picks really aren't a concern.

Also 6th in yards.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?t...TOUCHDOWNS

Why is this a thread?

They also had 72 passing plays of 20+ yards.  Highest in the NFL.
The number has to go down.  His completion percentage was trending upward, so I'm not as worried about that.

Quote:When you throw 35 TDs, second only to Brady, 18 picks really aren't a concern.

Also 6th in yards.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?t...TOUCHDOWNS

Why is this a thread?

Because it's Jaguar related? Or is no one allowed to say anything that isn't butterflies and rainbows about our Messiah QB?
Quote:Because it's Jaguar related? Or is no one allowed to say anything that isn't butterflies and rainbows about our Messiah QB?

You cherry pick a stat and start a one sentence thread on it.  When someone points out the flaw in your logic, I guess it's easy to come back with a defense like yours.

BTW, as a team, the Jaguars were ranked 6th in INTs.  Not good, but considering how often we threw the ball, and how young our offense actually is, 18 interceptions against almost twice as many TDs is not a major concern.  As the offense matures, the stats will improve.

Also, according to NFL.com, Bortles is the 7th ranked QB in the league.  In past years, we used to have to scroll quite a way down the list into backup territory to find our starting QB rankings.  That's a huge improvement.

Oh, he also has the longest pass play from scrimmage this season, and is ranked 2nd in the league in TD receptions in year 2 of his career.  The arrow is pointing up.

Peyton had 17 in 10 games. Roethlisberger had 16 in 12 games. 

Quote:You cherry pick a stat and start a one sentence thread on it.  When someone points out the flaw in your logic, I guess it's easy to come back with a defense like yours.

Where's the flaw in the logic? That picks aren't good?
He also led the league in fumbles with 14.

Quote:Highest in the NFL.

He did break Brunell's record and kill it in TD's but on the other side of the coin this is a concern.

I think what more concerned me was the timing of these interceptions/turnovers. The timing was usually back breaking for momentum. However, I think next year he will absolutely cut down on the turnovers with an improved line, running game and just more experience. Hopefully next year we don't have to throw so much.
How many were pick sixes?
Quote:Peyton had 17 in 10 games. Roethlisberger had 16 in 12 games. 

That does suck but those guys are HOF material and both in the playoffs. Seemingly they make up for their mistakes. Unfortunately, one pick seems to lose the game for us. Our defense doesn't help the cause either.
Quote:Where's the flaw in the logic? That picks aren't good?
That picks are always the QBs fault, or that they are an indication of how the QB is developing.  That's why the logic is flawed because there's a COMPLETE body of work to look at, so cherry picking a stat so you can whine about the QB is pretty sad.  I noticed the edit after the fact to say Oh, he broke Brunell's franchise record and the TD record, but you dismissed those because that wouldn't really prop up a good whine to really recognize the entire picture, would it?

Are the pick numbers good?  No, but that's something he can clean up.  No QB in franchise history has thrown for more yards, or put up more TDs, and he smashed those records in his first full season as a starter. 

11 QBs with 30 or more TDs:

Brady 36

Newton 35

Palmer 35

Eli 35

Bortles 35

Wilson 34

Carr 32

Stafford 32

Brees 32

Rodgers 31

Fitzpatrick 31

It's no coincidence that almost all of those guys played every game this season (with the exception of Brees, Carr, Fitzpatrick).

Brees missed a game.

Carr missed almost full game.

Fitzpatrick missed almost full game.
Quote:He also led the league in fumbles with 14.

32 turnovers is a problem but again hopefully with some improvements on the line, running game and just more experience that will improve. The kid has a ton of talent to build on.
didn't andrew luck have like 23 last year with like 40 TD passes? Also if he didn't get hurt he was on track for that record this year too.... Pretty much take luck manning and big ben, put them to a full 16 game schedule, and they all would have probably had more than blake

Bortles has definitely improved leaps and bounds, but he needs to become more aware on the football field next year.

He has to cut down the combined 32 picks and fumbles and also eliminate these sorts of things. http://deadspin.com/someone-please-teach...1745134857

Quote:That picks are always the QBs fault, or that they are an indication of how the QB is developing.  That's why the logic is flawed because there's a COMPLETE body of work to look at, so cherry picking a stat so you can whine about the QB is pretty sad.  I noticed the edit after the fact to say Oh, he broke Brunell's franchise record and the TD record, but you dismissed those because that wouldn't really prop up a good whine to really recognize the entire picture, would it?

Are the pick numbers good?  No, but that's something he can clean up.  No QB in franchise history has thrown for more yards, or put up more TDs, and he smashed those records in his first full season as a starter. 

Blue skies are gonna clear up. Put on a happy face.

I posted a stat for discussion on a discussion board. There are countless threads praising Bortles based on stats and that's fine; they are warranted. However, despite the "body of work" logic or based on stats it's legitimate to talk about the amount of turnovers. So discuss it or not. I don't really care. You complain about whining but that's all you've done in this thread. Hell, if you don't wanna see whining you're on the wrong NFL team's board anyway. We're not exactly an over .500 team.

Pages: 1 2 3