Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Stop with the...."this team can't rush the passer"
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
It seems like every post I read about our defense, guys are saying we can't bring down the QB.

I know Clemons is old, I know Branch isn't a starter, and I realize Davis ain't either.

But get outta here if you think we need to focus primarily on rushing the passer.

I bet any of you, including myself would trade Seattle's or Arizona's defense for ours without hesitation.

I bet you didn't realize Seattle and Arizona both have 35 sacks on defense this year.

The Jaguars have 34 sacks! 1 whole sack away from having the same number of sacks as the Seahawks, Cardinals, and Eagles.

The Bucs, Ravens, and Redskins have 34 sacks each, which ties them with the Jaguars.

We are getting to the QB.

Sacks alone don't tell the story. It also about pressuring the QB to move out of the pocket and his comfort zone. The Jaguars don't appear to be very good at that.
8 of those sacks were on Marcus Mariota.

Another 4 were on EJ Manuel.

Quote:Sacks alone don't tell the story. It also about pressuring the QB to move out of the pocket and his comfort zone. The Jaguars don't appear to be very good at that.

Yep and yep to the mariota comment haha
This is a classic case of box score watching. Try watching the games instead. You can start with last week's game. Watch Brees shred us apart during the first quarter taking all the time in the world while eating new orleans gumbo. After you're done watching that pull up tape on our defense in 3rd down situations. Especially 3rd and long.
Quote:Sacks alone don't tell the story. It also about pressuring the QB to move out of the pocket and his comfort zone. The Jaguars don't appear to be very good at that.

This was based on sacks, just pointing out we do sack the QB more often than you think.
This team cannot sack the QB on 3rd and long.

Quote:This is a classic case of box score watching. Try watching the games instead. You can start with last week's game. Watch Brees shred us apart during the first quarter taking all the time in the world while eating new orleans gumbo. After you're done watching that pull up tape on our defense in 3rd down situations. Especially 3rd and long.

Call it what you want, we are 1 sack behind Seattle and Arizona.
Quote:Call it what you want, we are 1 sack behind Seattle and Arizona.
Sacks do not matter as much as consistent pressure on QBs. Sack numbers can be misleading.
Quote:Sacks do not matter as much as consistent pressure on QBs. Sack numbers can be misleading.

Wow
Quote:This is a classic case of box score watching. Try watching the games instead. You can start with last week's game. Watch Brees shred us apart during the first quarter taking all the time in the world while eating new orleans gumbo. After you're done watching that pull up tape on our defense in 3rd down situations. Especially 3rd and long.

^^^This, so much this. If you watch the games there's no way you can actually try to justify that the pass rush is not the major issue of the defense. Sacks are great but those sacks may only come on 2-3 plays a game. The 25-40 other pass plays in the game the QB is not affected by the pass rush at all and shreds the defense.

So yeah, I think pass rush is the most pressing need for the the team.
This is why sacks are a terrible stat.

This is why sacks are a terrible stat.

passers playing vs Seahawks and Cardinals are forced to constantly hurry there throws and then make them in coverage.  Passers against us tend to just hang out all day back there and bomb it downfield.  The number of sacks we do have with how awful our Dline is actually speaks volumes to how well of a job Gus and Babich are doing.  Give this defense a healthy Marks and Fowler all year I wouldn't be surprised if they jumped ten spots in the rankings.

Wow.  This is the most ridiculous post I've read all year.  Pretty much everyone but JagFanatic24 is dead on.  Sacks don't tell the whole story.  Yeah, they're great, a huge plus, and momentum builder, but I'll take a game with 1 sack and 20 hurries vs. 3 sacks and 10 hurries.  We're up there in sacks only because people don't even bother running the ball on us so we'll have more opportunities to get them, plus as noted earlier, 12 came in two games.  So it's darn misleading.

Quote:It seems like every post I read about our defense, guys are saying we can't bring down the QB.

I know Clemons is old, I know Branch isn't a starter, and I realize Davis ain't either.

But get outta here if you think we need to focus primarily on rushing the passer.

I bet any of you, including myself would trade Seattle's or Arizona's defense for ours without hesitation.

I bet you didn't realize Seattle and Arizona both have 35 sacks on defense this year.

The Jaguars have 34 sacks! 1 whole sack away from having the same number of sacks as the Seahawks, Cardinals, and Eagles.

The Bucs, Ravens, and Redskins have 34 sacks each, which ties them with the Jaguars.

The sacks are based on exotic blitzes and designed plays, what we're referring to is the ability to get sacks just rushing 4 down lineman. Without looking, I bet those teams you mentioned are getting more sacks from the lineman than any other position. But they also each have an elite secondary and above average LB group. Freeney has 7 sacks for the Cards alone. 
I would guess half of that number is coverage sacks on backup qbs lol. 

We also have the worst third down stop pct 46.19%. So yeah we get sacks but not when it counts.

Quote:We also have the worst third down stop pct 46.19%. So yeah we get sacks but not when it counts.

You know it's bad when you actually hope the other team gets into 3rd and shorts so maybe they'll be dumb enough to run the ball instead of throwing it.
Quote:It seems like every post I read about our defense, guys are saying we can't bring down the QB.

Sacks are like the defense's version of "Plays of +40 yards" for the offense.

Just because you're getting them, doesn't mean you're doing what you're doing effectively.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5