Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: How to fix it
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
This is my plan as message board GM to fix this team and have it 10+ wins next year.

Fire Babich

Convince Schwartz to be DC

Sign Alex Mack

Bench/cut Beadles and slide Cann into LG

Sign Mario Williams

Sign Olivier Vernon

Sign Josh Norman/Janoris Jenkins

Draft Jalen Ramsey round 1

Draft Noah Spence round 2

Trade back up into round 2 for Scooby Wright

Draft James Conner in round 3/4

Get Fowler and Marks back healthy

It's fixed.

It really is cute you think Josh Norman is going to be a free agent this coming off-season.

Not a done deal.

What kind of defense does Schwartz run?
Schawartz is not going to come and run Gus's D.  Gus needs to take over the D.  Period.  The only way he keeps his job is if the D turns around.  He needs to take full responsibility.

Quote:What kind of defense does Schwartz run?

Base 4-3, Wide 9. 
Quote:This is my plan as message board GM to fix this team and have it 10+ wins next year.

Fire Babich

Convince Schwartz to be DC

Sign Alex Mack

Bench/cut Beadles and slide Cann into LG

Sign Mario Williams

Sign Olivier Vernon

Sign Josh Norman/Janoris Jenkins

Draft Jalen Ramsey round 1

Draft Noah Spence round 2

Trade back up into round 2 for Scooby Wright

Draft James Conner in round 3/4

Get Fowler and Marks back healthy

It's fixed.
I like a lot of those suggestions.

I don't know how viable they are, but I like them.

Not sure Schwartz would come here knowing Bradley is on a one year win or else deal.  Maybe he would if he felt he might get a shot to replace him.

I think Mario Williams COULD be a good signing if it is to a short, fiscally reasonable deal.  I would prefer Muhammad Wilkerson, but I don't think he leaves the Jets.

Norman isn't going anywhere.  Worst case scenario for Carolina, they franchise him.

I don't know if I'd trust Jenkins to stay out of trouble here.

I don't know if Jalen Ramsey will be there when we pick.
Quote:Base 4-3, Wide 9. 
He's from the Buddy Ryan/Jeff Fisher/Gregg Williams school.

46 principles-...lots of single safeties.  From the secondary perspective, he'd be a good fit.  They and their philosophy have produced a lot of good safeties in the NFL over the years.

That is an area we could definitely stand to upgrade.

Quote:He's from the Buddy Ryan/Jeff Fisher/Gregg Williams school.

46 principles-...lots of single safeties.  From the secondary perspective, he'd be a good fit.  They and their philosophy have produced a lot of good safeties in the NFL over the years.

I still think he's holding out for a head coaching opportunity, but he did work under Marrone so maybe he could convince him to join the staff. Assuming the Babich is fired of course.
LT needs to be addressed more so than the center position.
Quote:I still think he's holding out for a head coaching opportunity, but he did work under Marrone so maybe he could convince him to join the staff. Assuming the Babich is fired of course.
I thought of the Marrone angle, but dismissed it four a couple of reasons.

1) Marrone may not be here next year.  He may get consideration from one of the head coaching gigs that are certain to open.  Heck, he could stay within the division and go to Indy or Tennessee and have a stable QB position for a while.  That could work for or against the idea of Schwartz coming here.  If Marrone leaves and Babich is fired, Schwartz could come aboard here knowing he might get considered for HC if Bradley fails again.  Or, if he is content being a defensive coordinator, he might go with Marrone if he leaves, knowing there would probably be more stability.

2)  Schwartz may not be content being a coordinator.  Might he get a head coaching gig?  Maybe.  Might he get overlooked?  Maybe.  But if his mindset is to be the head guy, then he may explore all head coaching options first.
Quote:He's from the Buddy Ryan/Jeff Fisher/Gregg Williams school.

Probably the greatest differences between Jim Schwartz and the coaches you mentioned is Schwartz seems to prefer using Zone Coverages more often and relying on the blitz less.   One of the major criticisms with Schwartz in Detroit was he didn't blitz often enough,  despite having a Defensive Coordinator in Gunther Cunningham who had a major history of liking to turn things loose  ( blitz  ).

In addition to the coaching tree you mentioned,  Schwartz is also from the Bill Belichick tree from his days with the Browns.    
Quote:I thought of the Marrone angle, but dismissed it four a couple of reasons.

1) Marrone may not be here next year.  He may get consideration from one of the head coaching gigs that are certain to open.  Heck, he could stay within the division and go to Indy or Tennessee and have a stable QB position for a while.  That could work for or against the idea of Schwartz coming here.  If Marrone leaves and Babich is fired, Schwartz could come aboard here knowing he might get considered for HC if Bradley fails again.  Or, if he is content being a defensive coordinator, he might go with Marrone if he leaves, knowing there would probably be more stability.

2)  Schwartz may not be content being a coordinator.  Might he get a head coaching gig?  Maybe.  Might he get overlooked?  Maybe.  But if his mindset is to be the head guy, then he may explore all head coaching options first.

I think Jim Schwartz wants to be an NFL HC again,  as soon as 2016.  But if he doesn't think the opportunity is there,  I strongly believe that he will accept a Defensive Coordinator position in the NFL.   Schwartz wants to get back into coaching,  after taking a step back in 2015.
Quote:  Probably the greatest differences between Jim Schwartz and the coaches you mentioned is Schwartz seems to prefer using Zone Coverages more often and relying on the blitz less.   One of the major criticisms with Schwartz in Detroit was he didn't blitz often enough,  despite having a Defensive Coordinator in Gunther Cunningham who had a major history of liking to turn things loose  ( blitz  ).

In addition to the coaching tree you mentioned,  Schwartz is also from the Bill Belichick tree from his days with the Browns.    
Do you think that was due to inadequate CB play?

It seems to me from the outside looking in the Lions have needed CB for ages.
Quote:  Probably the greatest differences between Jim Schwartz and the coaches you mentioned is Schwartz seems to prefer using Zone Coverages more often and relying on the blitz less.   One of the major criticisms with Schwartz in Detroit was he didn't blitz often enough,  despite having a Defensive Coordinator in Gunther Cunningham who had a major history of liking to turn things loose  ( blitz  ).

Sounds like his coaching philosophy would mesh well with Bradley.

Quote:Do you think that was due to inadequate CB play?

It seems to me from the outside looking in the Lions have needed CB for ages.

I think that was part of it,  though when healthy Chris Houston was a winning caliber CB for the team.   The Safety situation was also problematic especially because Louis Delmas couldn't stay healthy often enough.    Good point regarding the situation possibly influencing Jim Schwartz'  Defensive mindset.  
Quote:Sounds like his coaching philosophy would mesh well with Bradley.

At the very least,  I believe the two would be on the same wave length enough that they would be comfortable working with each other.  Especially,  considering Schwartz' track record as a D/C and the need for Gus Bradley for the Jaguars to take major steps forward in the standings in 2016.  
I don't see Shwartz or any other established defensive mind coming to work for Gus. Isn't Gus a lame duck next year anyway? I think they might be stuck with Babich, but Gus pretty much has to take things over on that side of the ball regardless if he wants to make it past the first 8 games in 2016 imo. That defense is plain bad, and I think scheme is a big part of it.
Quote:I thought of the Marrone angle, but dismissed it four a couple of reasons.

I still think Marrone is a year away from being a serious head coaching candidate. After leaving Buffalo, he only received one interview and it sounded like he didn't come off too well in it. Our line play has definitely improved, but I think next year our offensive coaches will get more recognition for the jobs they've been doing and in turn get more opportunities for advancement. That's not to say he won't get any interviews, but I doubt he'll be the frontrunner yet. Granted there aren't many hot names this year, I think both Indy and Tennessee go after QB coaches like Jackson, Gase, and McDaniels over a line coach.
Here is my just as realistic plan to solve our defensive woes:

#1. Bring Reggie White back to life.  (In his prime)

#2. Give Lawrence Taylor access to the Fountain of Youth, and sign him

#3. Do the same for Ed Reed, Champ Bailey, and Deion Sanders.  

#4. While we're at it get Freddy T and Tony Boselli  that same youth potion, and throw in Jimmy Smith while we're at it.  I mean can you imagine Jimmy Smith/Fred Taylor/Julius Thomas/Allen Robinson/Allen Hurns/Tony Boselli/Blake Bortles on offense?!

#5. Draft whoever you want, cause we've got the fountain of youth!

Pages: 1 2