Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Nick Marshall: Starting nickel CB
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Quote:UDFA CB Nick Marshall Jags' nickel corner

Nick Marshall | JAC

(December 19, 2015 9:56 AM EST)

Jaguars coach Gus Bradley said UDFA rookie CB Nick Marshall will be the team's nickel corner moving forward.

Marshall played 55 snaps against the Colts after playing just three defensive snaps in the first 13 weeks of the season. Marshall held his own despite giving up a big play to T.Y. Hilton, and the ex-Auburn QB has the size Bradley covets on the outside. This week Marshall could find himself frequently matched up against Julio Jones. That is a battle Jones should win.

SOURCE: FLORIDA TIMES UNION

So does this mean that Colvin will play exclusively outside (besides blitzing situations)? Is Gratz permanently on the bench now?
There is no such thing as a player being "permanently" on the bench.

Quote:So does this mean that Colvin will play exclusively outside (besides blitzing situations)? Is Gratz permanently on the bench now?
Hopefully, Colvin has been great on the oustide.

Gratz just isn't good enough to be a starter, so why not keep Marshall out there? He had a few nice breakups against Moncrief and actually covered T.Y. pretty well, but lost his footing in the end. He can't play worse than Gratz, so I don't mind giving him a chance to prove himself.
Quote:Hopefully, Colvin has been great on the oustide.

Gratz just isn't good enough to be a starter, so why not keep Marshall out there? He had a few nice breakups against Moncrief and actually covered T.Y. pretty well, but lost his footing in the end. He can't play worse than Gratz, so I don't mind giving him a chance to prove himself.

I was worried about Nick Marshall when he gave up a big play in the first half. He did a good job covering T.Y. Hilton after that one.
Quote:There is no such thing as a player being "permanently" on the bench.

Yes there is.
Quote:Yes there is.

You obviously never saw a backup play.
Nick Marshall and Hurns are great UDFA pickups.
I think Marshall will continue to play on the outside. I think he's being called the Nickleback though because he's the guy that comes in for the nickle package.
Quote:I think Marshall will continue to play on the outside. I think he's being called the Nickleback though because he's the guy that comes in for the nickle package.

I think this is correct but the article isn't clear. 

Nickelback isn't necessarily the slot CB, it just means they're the DB who comes in in 5-DB formations. They're often one and the same, but not always. 
BTW what do you all think of Nick Marshall's position switch? I have been watching him to see how well he can make the transition from offense to defense.

Tell this to Luke Bowanko.

Quote:BTW what do you all think of Nick Marshall's position switch? I have been watching him to see how well he can make the transition from offense to defense.
I think he will be a solid corner. Just a good all around athlete. TY made that big play on awareness, Marshall was with him step for step.
Quote:I think Marshall will continue to play on the outside. I think he's being called the Nickleback though because he's the guy that comes in for the nickle package.

Precisely. When they add a third guy, Marshall will come in outside with Colvin moving inside. Gratz remains in his dime role and will spell the starters as needed. McCray and Thompson are for the most part warming the bench.

Quote:So does this mean that Colvin will play exclusively outside (besides blitzing situations)? Is Gratz permanently on the bench now?
It's not a good sign when you lose your spot in the rotation to an undrafted rookie who was, as recently as a few weeks back, judged not to be one of the best 46 guys on the roster.

You're telling me you've never sat on gum?

Quote:McCray and Thompson are for the most part warming the bench.
Which kills me. Thompson on the bench, fine, but whose car did McCray drop a turd in that took him from #1 to #5?
Quote:Tell this to Luke Bowanko.

Luke Bonakwo reportedly is learning a new job.I don't know what to think of the LT reports, but
Quote:Precisely. When they add a third guy, Marshall will come in outside with Colvin moving inside. Gratz remains in his dime role and will spell the starters as needed. McCray and Thompson are for the most part warming the bench.

Do you McCray and Tompon alternate the dime role?
Quote:Do you McCray and Tompon alternate the dime role?

I'm guessing Gratz in their dime guy. McCray and Thompson, if active, are only seeing action when the other guys need a rest. Babich as termed Thompson their "emergency corner."

Quote:You obviously never saw a backup play.

I bet you're alot of fun at parties.
Quote:Do you McCray and Tompon alternate the dime role?

This is one more typo away from being quite funny.

Quote:This is one more typo away from being quite funny.

I dunno I still got a chuckle thinking about Jags02 rotating with McCray and Tompon. 
Pages: 1 2