Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: NFL's Next Great Offense?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Quote:The leap taken this season by Jacksonville's collection of young talent begs the question: Can this be the NFL's next great offense? It feels entirely possible.

Quote:<div> 
Gus Bradley and general manager David Caldwell are beginning to see the plan come together. This Jaguars can't be shrugged off as just another easy out. Young players are beginning to develop and mesh, giving Jacksonville one of the NFL's more intriguing rosters heading into 2016.

</div>
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000...at-offense
Quote: 

At 27, Thomas feels like an elder statesmen next to Robinson (22), Hurns (24), Bortles (23) and second-round running back T.J. Yeldon (22).

Hard to believe how young Robinson and Yeldon are. These guys are so young, they are going to be around for a looooong time.

Quote: 

It's not crazy to imagine the Jaguars (5-8) mining their way into January play. Just a game back of the up-and-down Texans and Colts, Jacksonville faces a manageable remaining slate against the Falcons, Saints and Indianapolis. That finale against the Colts could ultimately serve as an epic opportunity for this intriguing team to upset the apple cart.

Would it kill any of these "professionals" to do some research?

Quote:Hard to believe how young Robinson and Yeldon are. These guys are so young, they are going to be around for a looooong time.

Would it kill any of these "professionals" to do some research?
Hurns is 24 Sad

That's so old!
we've got no more than 7 years with these guys in their primes

JUST WIN

Quote: 

<div> 

</div>
Good article overall, but has an error.

It states we close against Indy.

That is false.  We close against Houston.

Still winnable.
Things are definitely looking up but just to throw a little sanity into the equation, it's not like we've been playing defensive powerhouses recently.  I think ultimately we'll have a great offense though but it may take a little longer to really be near the top of the list.

Quote:we've got no more than 7 years with these guys in their primes

JUST WIN

We've got a lot longer if Bortles keeps progressing. Elite QBs have at least 15 years now.
Quote:Things are definitely looking up but just to throw a little sanity into the equation, it's not like we've been playing defensive powerhouses recently.  I think ultimately we'll have a great offense though but it may take a little longer to really be near the top of the list.
After such a remarkable game against the dolts, it is a little bit of a challenge to keep level headed, but you're right; none of our wins, including the epic blow out of Indy, was really against good defenses. When we can turn out some victories against a good team, then we've got something to really crow about.
Quote: 

<div> 

</div>

What's going to be interesting is how defenses adapt, and how our offense adapts back. Since our struggles in the redzone against SD, we've changed our gameplan to spread the defense more. This has been a great success the past couple of games. What I expect teams to start doing is to start playing the pass more in the redzone.

Can we force our will regardless of their emphasis on stopping the pass? Or, are we versatile enough that we can punish them by rushing the football? This is the next step for this offense, IMO.

My guess is that Atlanta tries their best to eliminate passing redzone TDs this game, and dares us to run with Denard/Gray (Yeldon if he plays).
Quote: 

<div> 

</div>

I saw that earlier and kind of cringed.  I know that there are several on here that play the "no respect" and "no recognition" cards regularly, but after the "behind kicking" that the team did to the Colts last Sunday, people are starting to take notice.

My fear is that the team, as young as it is will read this stuff and let it get into their heads.  The team is 5-8 and has not had a winning season for quite some time.  Yes the team is looking improved (contrary to many posters here).  Yes there is a chance that they can pull off a divisional championship.  However, they need to continue to focus on the next game at hand and let the cards fall where they do.

The bottom line is, if they win Sunday they are still in the hunt.  If they lose, it's pretty close to being over.
Quote:I saw that earlier and kind of cringed.  I know that there are several on here that play the "no respect" and "no recognition" cards regularly, but after the "behind kicking" that the team did to the Colts last Sunday, people are starting to take notice.

My fear is that the team, as young as it is will read this stuff and let it get into their heads.  The team is 5-8 and has not had a winning season for quite some time.  Yes the team is looking improved (contrary to many posters here).  Yes there is a chance that they can pull off a divisional championship.  However, they need to continue to focus on the next game at hand and let the cards fall where they do.

The bottom line is, if they win Sunday they are still in the hunt.  If they lose, it's pretty close to being over.
Just based upon what I've heard from them in interviews, I don't see that as being an issue.

I WANT them to know they are damn good.  I WANT them to know they can be GREAT.  I WANT them going into a game feeling like they are going to win.

Great teams have that confidence...that arrogance.

Of course, they have to work to get better and then they gotta win.

But I want this to be a confident, cocky team with a swagger.
Quote:Just based upon what I've heard from them in interviews, I don't see that as being an issue.

I WANT them to know they are damn good.  I WANT them to know they can be GREAT.  I WANT them going into a game feeling like they are going to win.

I agree with you, but... is it time?
The next three games may bring A LOT of offseason chatter about this offense.  Against the falcons, saints we should put up great numbers.  i mean bortles has a chance to put up 13 to 16 touchdowns in a 4 game span (already 9 in 2).

Quote:My fear is that the team, as young as it is will read this stuff and let it get into their heads. 
This is where Gus may be better than most coaches at keeping the players' heads in the right place.  Never too high or too low.  Always a positive and forward looking approach.
Quote:Just based upon what I've heard from them in interviews, I don't see that as being an issue.

I like it.

I want this to be a team of Jaggers with swagger.
Quote:I agree with you, but... is it time?
THAT is the question.

If I had to say...not yet.  I want them confident now...building towards that arrogance/swagger.

Of course, Jimmy Johnson would be better equipped to say when the right time for that swagger would be.
Quote:I saw that earlier and kind of cringed.  I know that there are several on here that play the "no respect" and "no recognition" cards regularly, but after the "behind kicking" that the team did to the Colts last Sunday, people are starting to take notice.

Wow, Gus has a real pressure game coming up on Sunday against a very beatable Falcons team, at home.

Come on Gus, let's build on last Sunday's big big win against the clots.

Have this team ready to play and hungry for another victory from the very first first snap until the very last snap.
Quote:THAT is the question.

If I had to say...not yet.  I want them confident now...building towards that arrogance/swagger.

Of course, Jimmy Johnson would be better equipped to say when the right time for that swagger would be.

Jimmy Johnson would get this team up and ready to play and make sure they all knew it was time to extendz the season.

Whether you liked him or not, the man could coach.

Every single Jag's fan really loves the result of his very last game as an NFL HC.
The issue we are going to face is salary cap when these guys all come up for their 2nd contract within 2 years. If BB continues to be The Guy you know he's going to get the bulk of what's available. That means we might not be able to afford all the others. Yeah, I know we are xxxxxxxx amount under the cap NOW, but where will we be in 2018?

Regards...................the Chiefjag

Quote:We've got a lot longer if Bortles keeps progressing. Elite QBs have at least 15 years now.

To be fair, I think he's speaking mainly about the "skill" players that are currently here. Typically, a good-elite QB will outlast those guys, and be playing with basically another roster in his last 5-6 years.

QB - 15 years

WR - 7-10 years in prime

RB - 5-8 years in prime

Assuming he stays healthy and franchise-worthy, Bortles will play 15 years or more, while the other guys will start to phase out much sooner.
Pages: 1 2