Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Civilian drone registry starts Dec. 21
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2015/.../77275676/

This is stupid. Patently ridiculous. Let me explain why:

I am an atmospheric photographer (read: storm chaser) by hobby. I don't personally use a drone, but I know several people who do, and the pictures and video they get are amazing--not to mention the scientific possibilities of flying drones much closer to the base of a storm and at much lower altitudes than any conventional aircraft can go. The mentality behind drone registry seems to be that all drone users are idiots, who point HD cameras inside bedroom windows, buzz into the flight path of 737s and harass firefighters by hovering their drone 50 feet above an actively burning house. It's "to keep us safe", as every government intrusion seems to be.

The problem with that, of course, is that 99+% of drone pilots who will be forced to submit their personal information to the federal government are extremely responsible, already follow the few regulations that exist surrounding operation and, in the interest of not having their $500+ (way, waaaaay +) piece of equipment destroyed, follow basic common-sense rules to avoid damaging or destroying their aircraft. If a terrorist really was going to send a flock of drones into the takeoff path of an A380 in hopes of taking out one or more engines, a registry wouldn't stop them--and they probably wouldn't even register in the first place. All a registry provides is an opportunity for the government to say, "You can't have that. We're taking it from you."

It's a hilarious parallel to the notion of a gun registry, when you think about it. An AR-15 is, let's be honest, far more likely to be used in an act of terror than a 2-lb. quadcopter is. It's designed for killing, but somehow a drone is more dangerous than a high-powered rifle? A flippin' drone needs to be registered and controlled, but a gun used to mow down a McDonald's should never have its serial number linked to a name and address?

And again, there's the usage problem. Like drone operators, 99+% of gun owners harbor no intent to take potshots at 747s flying by, and they're extremely cautious with their weapons. Once again, if a gun registry were mandated, it would not stop a terrorist who's intending to die anyway from using their gun in an attack. They probably wouldn't register in the first place because, again, it's only a mechanism for the government to say, "You're Islamic. We're taking your gun."

Personally, I think a gun registry is far more necessary than a drone registry, given the intended use of each item and its potential to be used to harm others. But it does beg the question: why the hell are Americans forced to register remote controlled airplanes, most of which are toys, and not required to link the serial number on their gun to a name and address so that, should that gun be used to take out a school, authorities know where to start looking for answers?

So, to be clear, are you also against registry of Muslim drone pilots?

TJBender, I think you are losing it.

By the way, I happen to own a few different "drones", but I'm certainly not going to register any of them.

All registeries have on purpose confiscation at the will of the state.
Quote:All registeries have on purpose confiscation at the will of the state.

Even wedding registries?
Quote:Even wedding registries?

I guess I should clarify but well done sir. All federal registries is what I should have said.
Quote:I guess I should clarify but well done sir. All federal registries is what I should have said.

Bull, you try getting out of the State confiscation when the inevitable divorce rolls around.
Quote:Bull, you try getting out of the State confiscation when the inevitable divorce rolls around.

True but I think he was using a play on words referring to the common wedding gift registry
You have to register every other vehicle you own, so why not drones.

Edit. Just pointing the above out.

I don't really feel like getting into debates on this particular forum (political section). I more or less just enjoy reading you all go after each other.

They're making me register my bewb watcher?!?
Quote:You have to register every other vehicle you own, so why not drones.

Edit. Just pointing the above out.

I don't really feel like getting into debates on this particular forum (political section). I more or less just enjoy reading you all go after each other.
As soon as I start riding a five-pound quadcopter to work, I'll register it as a vehicle. Tongue
Quote:http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2015/.../77275676/

This is stupid. Patently ridiculous. Let me explain why:

I am an atmospheric photographer (read: storm chaser) by hobby. I don't personally use a drone, but I know several people who do, and the pictures and video they get are amazing--not to mention the scientific possibilities of flying drones much closer to the base of a storm and at much lower altitudes than any conventional aircraft can go. The mentality behind drone registry seems to be that all drone users are idiots, who point HD cameras inside bedroom windows, buzz into the flight path of 737s and harass firefighters by hovering their drone 50 feet above an actively burning house. It's "to keep us safe", as every government intrusion seems to be.

The problem with that, of course, is that 99+% of drone pilots who will be forced to submit their personal information to the federal government are extremely responsible, already follow the few regulations that exist surrounding operation and, in the interest of not having their $500+ (way, waaaaay +) piece of equipment destroyed, follow basic common-sense rules to avoid damaging or destroying their aircraft. If a terrorist really was going to send a flock of drones into the takeoff path of an A380 in hopes of taking out one or more engines, a registry wouldn't stop them--and they probably wouldn't even register in the first place. All a registry provides is an opportunity for the government to say, "You can't have that. We're taking it from you."

It's a hilarious parallel to the notion of a gun registry, when you think about it. An AR-15 is, let's be honest, far more likely to be used in an act of terror than a 2-lb. quadcopter is. It's designed for killing, but somehow a drone is more dangerous than a high-powered rifle? A flippin' drone needs to be registered and controlled, but a gun used to mow down a McDonald's should never have its serial number linked to a name and address?

And again, there's the usage problem. Like drone operators, 99+% of gun owners harbor no intent to take potshots at 747s flying by, and they're extremely cautious with their weapons. Once again, if a gun registry were mandated, it would not stop a terrorist who's intending to die anyway from using their gun in an attack. They probably wouldn't register in the first place because, again, it's only a mechanism for the government to say, "You're Islamic. We're taking your gun."

Personally, I think a gun registry is far more necessary than a drone registry, given the intended use of each item and its potential to be used to harm others. But it does beg the question: why the hell are Americans forced to register remote controlled airplanes, most of which are toys, and not required to link the serial number on their gun to a name and address so that, should that gun be used to take out a school, authorities know where to start looking for answers?

So, you're starting The NDA? They'll have to pry my cold ,dead ...
What if you plan to use your drone as a weapon? Are you protected under your marvelous 2nd Amendment?
Now how am I going to spy on my neighbors?  (joke)

Quote:Even wedding registries?

Take my wife...please.
As usual, it's the .001% of people who ruin it for everyone else.  

Quote:What if you plan to use your drone as a weapon? Are you protected under your marvelous 2nd Amendment?

Hopefully. We'll have to let the courts settle that one,
The thing is, what exactly defines a "drone"?  Is it a quad-copter that many people like to build and fly?  Is it a remote controlled airplane, helicopter or even a boat?  Are the cops going to show up to the park and/or baseball field where I take my grandson to fly our "drones" and check if they are registered?  Are they going to check the local retention pond where people go out an race their "drones" on the weekends?

How about people who drone on and on in message board posts.

I'm registering TJ.

Quote:How about people who drone on and on in message board posts.

I'm registering TJ.
Over my banned avatar.