Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Kid wears Star Wars shirt to school; gets told he can't
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
.....even though he's worn it several times before. This PC stuff is so crazy. 

Story

"A 7th grader in Rosenberg says he was forced by school administrators to cover up his Star Wars t-shirt because it depicted a weapon, even though it's fictional."

Their dress code does say they can't wear stuff that shows violence, but it's a Storm Trooper with a weapon that doesn't exist. I just think it's ridiculous.

This isn't about political correctness, this is about zero tolerance. 

Quote:This isn't about political correctness, this is about zero tolerance. 

No, it's about PC.  If a shirt had this photo on it is it threatening?  Does it depict violence?

[Image: Rev_war_Soldier_2.60190002_std.jpg]
Quote:No, it's about PC.  If a shirt had this photo on it is it threatening?  Does it depict violence?

It's about zero tolerance because the school probably has some kind of policy banning depictions of violence and/or guns. And because people think zero tolerance is effective that gets applied to that policy as well leading wonderful instances such as this. The policy isn't necessarily wrong or right (much the same happens on TV and on this board), the zero tolerance application is.
Quote:No, it's about PC. If a shirt had this photo on it is it threatening? Does it depict violence?

You're both wrong. Not everything is a left wing PC conspiracy (you're losing it, JIB), nor is it a moral stand. This is about stupid people being stupid, because that's what stupid people do best.
I hate PC people.. They're pieces of trash.. 

Quote:You're both wrong. Not everything is a left wing PC conspiracy (you're losing it, JIB), nor is it a moral stand. This is about stupid people being stupid, because that's what stupid people do best.
Pretty much exactly how I feel on this matter.
Quote:You're both wrong. Not everything is a left wing PC conspiracy (you're losing it, JIB), nor is it a moral stand. This is about stupid people being stupid, because that's what stupid people do best.

The problem is it gets unwarranted attention, often from folks who want to overblow the PC angle, as if a large majority think along the same lines.
Quote:The problem is it gets unwarranted attention, often from folks who want to overblow the PC angle, as if a large majority think along the same lines.

It doesn't matter if a majority do, those in control of the institutions of our society do. They call the tune and we dance away.
Quote:The problem is it gets unwarranted attention, often from folks who want to overblow the PC angle, as if a large majority think along the same lines.

One of the issues I had with the story is the kid had worn the same shirt several times already and no one had a problem with it. Then suddenly someone did and most likely complained. Be consistent with your zero tolerance rules or shut up.
Quote:One of the issues I had with the story is the kid had worn the same shirt several times already and no one had a problem with it. Then suddenly someone did and most likely complained. Be consistent with your zero tolerance rules or shut up.

Eh, I wore a shirt to school once that (unbeknownst to me) had a skeleton sticking up it's middle finger.  Someone pointed it out to try to get me in trouble, and the teacher was like "Eh, he's a good student.  It's not really noticeable.:"  Nobody else noticed it the rest of the day, and I never got in trouble for it.

Different teachers enforce rules differently.  He may have been lucky before, and nobody noticed it violated the rules, or they simply didn't care.   A lot of teachers don't enforce the rules strictly  Some Administrators however will.  Of course the administrator may have never seen this student wearing that shirt before.  Not unlikely given how many students tend to be in a school.
Quote:No, it's about PC.  If a shirt had this photo on it is it threatening?  Does it depict violence?

Quote:It's about zero tolerance because the school probably has some kind of policy banning depictions of violence and/or guns. And because people think zero tolerance is effective that gets applied to that policy as well leading wonderful instances such as this. The policy isn't necessarily wrong or right (much the same happens on TV and on this board), the zero tolerance application is.

Male cow feces.  First we have kids getting sent home or reprimanded because of t-shirts with a picture of a gun, even if they were children of military members wearing a military themed shirt, or happen to be a member of the NRA.  Then we have children being reprimanded for pointing their fingers in the shape of a gun, or even eating a pop-tart into the shape of a gun.  Now we have a kid being reprimanded for wearing a shirt themed after probably the most popular movie of the year depicting fictional characters and fictional weapons.

The only part of your comment that I agree with is that it's stupid people (left wing liberals) being stupid.  Common sense is gone.

Here is a hypothetical question for you (as you know, I love asking these types of questions).  Under the rules given in the report (specifically "symbols oriented toward violence" are banned), if a student is wearing a pendant of a crucifix, should that student be forced to cover it up?  What if a kid wore a t-shirt with the U.S. flag on it or perhaps the Gadsden flag?  Are these not all "symbols oriented toward violence"?  After all, a crucifixion is pretty violent as was the Revolutionary War.

This is all about PC and/or "zero tolerance" as far as the leftist point of view.  Specifically in this case, it is a middle school which I would assume would be teaching about the Revolutionary War, The Constitution and the Bill of rights.  If they are teaching correctly, the students should be learning about the First Amendment.

Quote:Male cow feces.  First we have kids getting sent home or reprimanded because of t-shirts with a picture of a gun, even if they were children of military members wearing a military themed shirt, or happen to be a member of the NRA.  Then we have children being reprimanded for pointing their fingers in the shape of a gun, or even eating a pop-tart into the shape of a gun.  Now we have a kid being reprimanded for wearing a shirt themed after probably the most popular movie of the year depicting fictional characters and fictional weapons.

The only part of your comment that I agree with is that it's stupid people (left wing liberals) being stupid.  Common sense is gone.

Here is a hypothetical question for you (as you know, I love asking these types of questions).  Under the rules given in the report (specifically "symbols oriented toward violence" are banned), if a student is wearing a pendant of a crucifix, should that student be forced to cover it up?  What if a kid wore a t-shirt with the U.S. flag on it or perhaps the Gadsden flag?  Are these not all "symbols oriented toward violence"?  After all, a crucifixion is pretty violent as was the Revolutionary War.

This is all about PC and/or "zero tolerance" as far as the leftist point of view.  Specifically in this case, it is a middle school which I would assume would be teaching about the Revolutionary War, The Constitution and the Bill of rights.  If they are teaching correctly, the students should be learning about the First Amendment.

When you go to public school you give up your rights, everyone knows this.
Quote:Eh, I wore a shirt to school once that (unbeknownst to me) had a skeleton sticking up it's middle finger.  Someone pointed it out to try to get me in trouble, and the teacher was like "Eh, he's a good student.  It's not really noticeable.:"  Nobody else noticed it the rest of the day, and I never got in trouble for it.

Different teachers enforce rules differently.  He may have been lucky before, and nobody noticed it violated the rules, or they simply didn't care.   A lot of teachers don't enforce the rules strictly  Some Administrators however will.  Of course the administrator may have never seen this student wearing that shirt before.  Not unlikely given how many students tend to be in a school.

Or someone pointed out the shirt and the teacher or administrator had to enforce the rule or risk getting in trouble.  
Quote:Male cow feces.  First we have kids getting sent home or reprimanded because of t-shirts with a picture of a gun, even if they were children of military members wearing a military themed shirt, or happen to be a member of the NRA.  Then we have children being reprimanded for pointing their fingers in the shape of a gun, or even eating a pop-tart into the shape of a gun.  Now we have a kid being reprimanded for wearing a shirt themed after probably the most popular movie of the year depicting fictional characters and fictional weapons.

I have no problem with schools setting policies against clothing, backpacks, lunch boxes, accessories, whatever that depict a realistic firearm on them. I wouldn't necessarily push for those policies in a school district that my hypothetical kid went to, but I wouldn't be standing outside screaming, "How dare you not let my son wear a shirt with a gun on it to school!". Being a child of an NRA members has jack [BLEEP] all to do with it, and even being a military child shouldn't qualify the kid for special treatment under existing dress codes. Isn't being treated exceptionally kind of counterintuitive to the whole mindset of the military?

I'm not even going to touch the left wing comment, because I could point to a dozen instances of the Trump Party unilaterally having its way while liberals screamed. Not going to waste my breath on it, though. Both sides are convinced that they're morally in the right, especially when they're morally in the gray.

Your hypothetical questions are all thought-provoking, and here's my answer: the elementary/middle school I went to had uniforms. Solid-color polo shirt and khaki or navy slacks. That might be a little too extreme, but maybe saying "solid color clothing only" would work. It'd at least shut the NRA drones up about making a kid with guns on his shirt change, and it'd shut the Thought Police up about kids being allowed to roll into school with guns on their shirt. Both sides sound more ridiculous by the day.
Quote:Male cow feces. First we have kids getting sent home or reprimanded because of t-shirts with a picture of a gun, even if they were children of military members wearing a military themed shirt, or happen to be a member of the NRA. Then we have children being reprimanded for pointing their fingers in the shape of a gun, or even eating a pop-tart into the shape of a gun. Now we have a kid being reprimanded for wearing a shirt themed after probably the most popular movie of the year depicting fictional characters and fictional weapons.

The only part of your comment that I agree with is that it's stupid people (left wing liberals) being stupid. Common sense is gone.

Here is a hypothetical question for you (as you know, I love asking these types of questions). Under the rules given in the report (specifically "symbols oriented toward violence" are banned), if a student is wearing a pendant of a crucifix, should that student be forced to cover it up? What if a kid wore a t-shirt with the U.S. flag on it or perhaps the Gadsden flag? Are these not all "symbols oriented toward violence"? After all, a crucifixion is pretty violent as was the Revolutionary War.

This is all about PC and/or "zero tolerance" as far as the leftist point of view. Specifically in this case, it is a middle school which I would assume would be teaching about the Revolutionary War, The Constitution and the Bill of rights. If they are teaching correctly, the students should be learning about the First Amendment.

Your ability to approach every topic from a pureley logical and unbiased manner is astounding. Nope you have no bias. None at all. /S
Actually..Darth Vader had Trumps face superimposed on him...written under it was

MAY THE FARCE BE WITH US

This is all about PC and/or "zero tolerance" as far as the leftist point of view.  Specifically in this case, it is a middle school which I would assume would be teaching about the Revolutionary War, The Constitution and the Bill of rights.  If they are teaching correctly, the students should be learning about the First AmendmenT
That explains, to me anyway, on why you are a Trumpeteer
Quote:That explains, to me anyway, on why you are a Trumpeteer

Let's be real, the left's hatred of guns and self defense is indoctrinated at the earliest opportunities, that's why there's punishment for little boys who make guns with their fingers, sticks, pop tarts or any other inanimate object they can get their hands on and why images of fictional super laser blaster pistols on t-shirts are considered inappropriate. Guns are icky and bad, MMMMKay? It, like everything else the left seems to want to do, flies in the face of nature, biology and/or whatever diety did or didn't create this mess of a planet. But no one ever accused them of being reasonable either. They have their concept of how the universe ought to be ordered and that concept has nothing whatsoever to do with reality.
Quote:Let's be real, the left's hatred of guns and self defense is indoctrinated at the earliest opportunities, that's why there's punishment for little boys who make guns with their fingers, sticks, pop tarts or any other inanimate object they can get their hands on and why images of fictional super laser blaster pistols on t-shirts are considered inappropriate. Guns are icky and bad, MMMMKay? It, like everything else the left seems to want to do, flies in the face of nature, biology and/or whatever diety did or didn't create this mess of a planet. But no one ever accused them of being reasonable either. They have their concept of how the universe ought to be ordered and that concept has nothing whatsoever to do with reality.
I usually try to see everyone's POV even if I don't agree with it, but it's getting more and more difficult to do with the mentality they have. And the far right isn't any better. I have many friends on both sides of the aisle and I have to stay out of conversations with them because what comes out of their mouths is just...... ridiculous.

My father-in-law is a democrat and we don't see eye to eye on much but he's not what I call a liberal democrat. He sees reason on both sides of the spectrum but is definitely Left. A friend of mine is far right and I had to unfollow her on Facebook because of the political posts and arguments. Another friend was moderate left until she hooked up with her man and now she's far left. Like- everything offends me- left. I'm on the verge of unfollowing her too. 
Pages: 1 2 3