Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: If the Jags had a Top 10 Defense.......
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
If the Jags D held teams to the average score that the NFL's top 10 D have given up this year (19.2), the Jags would be 9-3.

<b><i>Give Bortles a defense already. Open up the checkbook Shad.....time to draft 6 defensive players and get another 5 defensive free agents. </i></b>
Forget top 10 even a 17 or 18th ranked D and we would have a winning record.
Cyp bad
So draft Amari Cooper?

Hire Rob Ryan and sign Jason Babin.
Quote:So draft Amari Cooper?

Hahahahaha obviously
Quote:If the Jags D held teams to the average score that the NFL's top 10 D have given up this year (19.2), the Jags would be 9-3.

<b><i>Give Bortles a defense already. Open up the checkbook Shad.....time to draft 6 defensive players and get another 5 defensive free agents. </i></b>

"spacecoastjag" --- shouldn't you be working on algorithms to get a man on to Mars instead of coming up with hypothetical conclusions to equations that contain randomly selected variables.  :mellow:
Quote:So draft Amari Cooper?

Yes. Should have drafted Cooper last year and all defense this year along with high profile defensive free agents. That's what I would have done as I discussed in March.....we would have been MUCH better.

HAVE TO draft the best player in the Top 10 and Lord knows Amari will have 10x the career Fowler will. 

Quote:Yes. Should have drafted Cooper last year and all defense this year along with high profile defensive free agents. That's what I would have done as I discussed in March.....we would have been MUCH better.

HAVE TO draft the best player in the Top 10 and Lord knows Amari will have 10x the career Fowler will.

Which Lord? The Lord of Canterbury Justin Welby?
Quote:Cyp bad

Nah
In 2011 the Jags has the #11 scoring defense:

Matt Roth

Tyson Alualu

Terrance Knighton

Jeremy Mincey

Daryl Smith

Paul Posluszny

Russell Allen

Rashean Mathis

Derek Cox / William Middleton

Dwight Lowery

Dawan Landry

Are those players significantly better than this year's starters, enough to explain the difference between 11th vs. 30th?

We need a new coach.
Khan has to see that the offense is carrying this team.  We have a good core on offense.  A top 15 defense would make this group a playoff contender.  

Open the checkbook and lets own the AFC south.  We need a good coaching staff and some solid signings + more depth for development.  I trust in Caldwell.

Quote: 

In 2011 the Jags has the #11 scoring defense:

<div>Matt Roth

Tyson Alualu

Terrance Knighton

Jeremy Mincey

Daryl Smith

Paul Posluszny

Russell Allen

Rashean Mathis

Derek Cox / William Middleton

Dwight Lowery

Dawan Landry

Are those players significantly better than this year's starters, enough to explain the difference between 11th vs. 30th?

We need a new coach.

</div>

TBH those stats were skewed. We had a statistically good pass d because teams were blowing us out.  They knew we had no fire power on offense so they ran all day on us.  

I looked it up.  we were 300 yards behind the 31st ranked pass offense (we had 2179 total passing yards)  and 800 yards behind the 30th ranked pass offense.

Quote:TBH those stats were skewed. We had a statistically good pass d because teams were blowing us out.  They knew we had no fire power on offense so they ran all day on us.  

I looked it up.  we were 300 yards behind the 31st ranked pass offense (we had 2179 total passing yards)  and 800 yards behind the 30th ranked pass offense

Great post and very accurate of the reality of the situation. However our current reality is that our offense needs an NFL-caliber kicker and some linemen in addition to the defensive stars. Helps already on the way (Fowler). The offense still leads points on the table so all the losses aren't just on the defense. (Myers)
Lol at some people wanting Rob Ryan. One of the most overrated defensive coordinators in the league. IMO
Quote:Lol at some people wanting Rob Ryan. One of the most overrated defensive coordinators in the league. IMO

You're not overrated when everyone knows you suck
If my aunt had a....she would be my uncle. Or something like that.
If I had a billion dollars I would quit my job and marry Kate Upton
Yes, the defense sux. But, 19.2 PPG is the top 10 avg? Ok, let's look at points given up by the defense in some games and the result:

- 13 points to the Panthers (Lost,, pick 6 made it 20 points)

- 20 points to the Dolphins (Won)

- 16 points to the Colts (Lost)

- 20 points to the Ravens (Won,, INT deep in Jags territory lead to an easy 7 points)

- 13 points to Titans (Won)

Defense was holding scores to that average and lower in those games. In 3 other games, defense gave up 24 points while the offense gave up an easy TD to make each game 31. Let's count the points given up that weren't caused by defense, and look at some reality.

- Carolina, Pick-6

- Bills, Pick-6 (defense also scored 14)

- Texans, Pick-6

- Bucs, Fumble Return TD

- Titans, Bad Snap TD

- Ravens, INT deep in Jags territory easy TD

- Chargers, INT deep in Jags territory easy TD

- Jets, Muffed Punt deep in Jags territory easy TD

I can remember at least 8 Touchdowns (56 points) that were given up directly by an offensive mistakes. That's 4.66 PPG not attributed to the defense.

In 5 games this year, the opponent has been held to 20 or less.

In 2 additional games, the defense held both opponents to 24, while Pick-6's made both scores 31.

The Defense has obvious issues and needs to be MUCH better. That is observed by EVERY fan.

But it's just not true to say the defense has not held opponents to a reasonable score in at least half of the games. The Offense's mistakes and a Muffed Punt have directly caused 56 points. That is reality Space. It just is.
Draft will/should be primarily defense, especially in the early rounds. Most of us expect that is what's going to happen.

Although, there is still too much pressure on Blake, and not enough push in the run game. I wouldn't be opposed to some O-line additions being made in the 3rd-7th rounds if good value is there.

But, Defense, Defense, Defense is the way to go. Already having Fowler should help with that too.
Pages: 1 2 3