Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Windows 10
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

I just installed it today on my PC. I would appreciate any thoughts or opinions from anybody who has spent a lot of time with it-and whatever advice you may have. Thanks!

If you upgraded from Windows 7, then you might feel a little uncomfortable with the new changes. But it'll grow on you. If you upgraded from Windows 8, then you're going to be relieved as Microsoft fixed most of the weird features. It's a new direction as opposed to 7, but overall I like how smooth it runs. Hope you enjoy!

Quote:If you upgraded from Windows 7, then you might feel a little uncomfortable with the new changes. But it'll grow on you. If you upgraded from Windows 8, then you're going to be relieved as Microsoft fixed most of the weird features. It's a new direction as opposed to 7, but overall I like how smooth it runs. Hope you enjoy!
Thanks! 

I did upgrade from 7, but I refused to get 8. I am glad that MS is opting for more simplicity this time around.
Quote:I just installed it today on my PC. I would appreciate any thoughts or opinions from anybody who has spent a lot of time with it-and whatever advice you may have. Thanks!

Check your settings. Windows 10 is heavily geared towards social media. It practically distributes your browsing history. There's a good article on CNET, I believe, on what to enable/disable.  

Try the Edge browser.  It actually works pretty good. It isn't bogged down with the typical IE bloat.
Definitely go into Settings > Privacy and uncheck, well, everything. Other than that, it's kind of a 7/8 hybrid that combines the best of both. I like it because it's faster, smoother and less stupid than 8, but it's done nothing to change my opinion that 7 is the best OS Microsoft has ever dropped.

A note on the Edge browser: if it supported extensions (and, therefore, AdBlock), it would instantly replace Opera as my daily driver. It's remarkably fast and lightweight when compared to the bloat-tastic beached whale that is MSIE.
If you use a microsoft account and don't want to log in each time

1. win key + r

2. netplwiz

3. uncheck "users must enter a username and password"

4. click apply 

5. no more logging in

Once your 30 days pass or if you're sure you like the OS enough now to not want to downgrade back to 7, I'd personally would just do a clean install.

Quote:Definitely go into Settings > Privacy and uncheck, well, everything. Other than that, it's kind of a 7/8 hybrid that combines the best of both. I like it because it's faster, smoother and less stupid than 8, but it's done nothing to change my opinion that 7 is the best OS Microsoft has ever dropped.

A note on the Edge browser: if it supported extensions (and, therefore, AdBlock), it would instantly replace Opera as my daily driver. It's remarkably fast and lightweight when compared to the bloat-tastic beached whale that is MSIE.
Thanks for the advice I just did that.
In  the past few months, I've upgraded a computer from 8 to 10 and bought two computers with Windows 10 installed.  Upgrading from Windows 8 was one of the most mind-numbingly painful computer experiences.  And it played like a movie trailer that never ended.    It took forever!  It would stick on one percentage forever, and then after going to 100% it would keep doing stuff over and over, fading in and out with more nonsense i didn't care about. I previously bought an acer cloudbook with Windows 10 installed which was incredibly slow and nearly unusable.  Then bought a gaming laptop with Windows 10 installed and didn't hate it at all even though I still only boot into Linux.  

Windows 10 was nice on a fast laptop but I'm still can't really figure out what is better about it.  The only thing people seem to talk about are the whole privacy issues of 10.  What else is there?  There is nothing special about a task bar, and it certainly isn't more resource efficient.  I'd like to hear a clear explanation of what 10 is all about, because I don't think I get it. 

Quote:In  the past few months, I've upgraded a computer from 8 to 10 and bought two computers with Windows 10 installed.  Upgrading from Windows 8 was one of the most mind-numbingly painful computer experiences.  And it played like a movie trailer that never ended.    It took forever!  It would stick on one percentage forever, and then after going to 100% it would keep doing stuff over and over, fading in and out with more nonsense i didn't care about. I previously bought an acer cloudbook with Windows 10 installed which was incredibly slow and nearly unusable.  Then bought a gaming laptop with Windows 10 installed and didn't hate it at all even though I still only boot into Linux.  

Windows 10 was nice on a fast laptop but I'm still can't really figure out what is better about it.  The only thing people seem to talk about are the whole privacy issues of 10.  What else is there?  There is nothing special about a task bar, and it certainly isn't more resource efficient.  I'd like to hear a clear explanation of what 10 is all about, because I don't think I get it. 

Yeah upgrading through the system usually isn't ideal, and still usually requires a clean install to run optimally, a better option is to use the USB tool and just clean install to begin (it's faster anyways).  

As far as resource efficiency, it depends if you're comparing it to 7 or 8, since you're already had 8 the improvements in that area really aren't as pronounced as they are over 7.