Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Washington Post: Gun Violence Declining, Except in Gun-Free Zones
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Washington Post: Gun Violence Declining, Except in Gun-Free Zones

On December 3, The Washington Post reported that gun crime has been on the decline for about 20 years, except for high-profile shootings in gun-free zones; WaPo claims those shootings are on the increase.

According to WaPo, “In 1993, there were seven homicides by firearm for every 100,000 Americans. … By 2013, that figure had fallen by nearly half, to 3.6 [per 100,000].

http://www.breitbart.com/big-journalism/...ree-zones/

Is the problem gun free zones? Or is the problem you can easily get hold of guns and take them into gun free zones?...
Quote:Washington Post: Gun Violence Declining, Except in Gun-Free Zones

On December 3, The Washington Post reported that gun crime has been on the decline for about 20 years, except for high-profile shootings in gun-free zones; WaPo claims those shootings are on the increase.

According to WaPo, “In 1993, there were seven homicides by firearm for every 100,000 Americans. … By 2013, that figure had fallen by nearly half, to 3.6 [per 100,000].

http://www.breitbart.com/big-journalism/...ree-zones/

Yes, gun murders are down. I believe that the changes to made to welfare in 1995 made a big difference there. If you have to work you may be too busy or tired to get into a gunfight.

Also, 1993 was a peak year of gun murders, so using it as a baseline is disingenuous. I'd like to see the data for a couple of years on either side of 1993.

Quote:Is the problem gun free zones? Or is the problem you can easily get hold of guns and take them into gun free zones?...

One can always get hold of guns, so that is not a factor to consider.

Maybe in Australia complete confiscation worked, but in the US that is not an option. Even if the US government were willing to ignore the US Constitution any attempt at confiscation would result in armed rebellion and hundreds of thousands of people killed. We're not wimps like the Aussies. 

Quote:We're not wimps like the Aussies. 

Now there's a sentence that shows a complete lack of awareness, both historical as well as societal. 

Quote:Is the problem gun free zones? Or is the problem you can easily get hold of guns and take them into gun free zones?...

Yes the problem is gun free zones. There should be no such thing. Why? Because bad guys don't care about gun free zones. More armed good guys would be a benefit.

We are slowly creating a country full of victims and it's sad.
Quote:Now there's a sentence that shows a complete lack of awareness, both historical as well as societal. 

Says the guy who lives in Euro-weenie land.

Quote:Says the guy who lives in Euro-weenie land.
How is that relevant in any way to my point or the debate in general?
Is this one of those liberal media pieces where they don't have the facts correct?   :woot:

The Drifter, on 04 Dec 2015 - 12:27 PM, said:

I'm like the liberal Media, I don't have time to fact check everything

Quote:How is that relevant in any way to my point or the debate in general?

You haven't lived among either Americans or Australians. Your opinions are heavily weighted by the European dislike of Americans.

The ease with which the Aussie government was able to disarm the populace backs up my original statement.

Quote:You haven't lived among [...] Australians. 
Neither have you. But unlike you, I have some basic knowledge of Australian military history so I know better to call an entire nation wimpy.
I'm British, but the statement of Aussies being wimps is so off base its laughable. Maybe read up on the Anzacs in Gallipoli for starters. Not to mention the fact they join the US in every conflict.

So if it's easier to have mass shootings with gun control, why hasn't Australia had one since bringing in the legislation? All these gun free zones and no mass shootings anymore? Must be just lucky.
Quote:So if it's easier to have mass shootings with gun control, why hasn't Australia had one since bringing in the legislation? All these gun free zones and no mass shootings anymore? Must be just lucky.

Thought all of Australia was a gun free zone:

Siege in Melbourne: Police surround bakery where man is 'holding hostage at gunpoint'
  • Police have blocked off the area surrounding a bakery in Rye, Victoria
  • A man is believed to be holding at least one person at gunpoint 
  • Police are working to establish whether the parties are known to each other

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...z3tOXFxzmX

Quote:I'm British, but the statement of Aussies being wimps is so off base its laughable. Maybe read up on the Anzacs in Gallipoli for starters. Not to mention the fact they join the US in every conflict.

So if it's easier to have mass shootings with gun control, why hasn't Australia had one since bringing in the legislation? All these gun free zones and no mass shootings anymore? Must be just lucky.

What does it take to ensure that your population is disarmed?
Quote:I'm British, but the statement of Aussies being wimps is so off base its laughable. Maybe read up on the Anzacs in Gallipoli for starters. Not to mention the fact they join the US in every conflict.

Anzacs vs the Ottomans in Gallipoli, vs Rommel in Africa, vs Korean and Chinese forces in Korea, vs the NVA in Vietnam. The Viet Cong would flat out refuse to engage the Australians unless absolutely forced to. 
Quote:Now there's a sentence that shows a complete lack of awareness, both historical as well as societal. 

Quote:How is that relevant in any way to my point or the debate in general?
it isn't... but I would just like to say that if that's your picture that's on your post that you are absolutely beautiful Love .... and if it isn't and you are a dude :o ... then forget what I said. Sick
Quote:Thought all of Australia was a gun free zone:

Siege in Melbourne: Police surround bakery where man is 'holding hostage at gunpoint'
  • Police have blocked off the area surrounding a bakery in Rye, Victoria
  • A man is believed to be holding at least one person at gunpoint
  • Police are working to establish whether the parties are known to each other
<p class="bbc_left">

Read more: <a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3346745/Melbourne-cafe-siege-Man-holds-hostage-gunpoint.html#ixzz3tOXFxzmX'>http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3346745/Melbourne-cafe-siege-Man-holds-hostage-gunpoint.html#ixzz3tOXFxzmX</a>

Now I know you aren't the sharpest, but nobody in the world thinks that having gun control ends all gun crime...Also Australia isn't gun free, there are circumstances you can have a gun.

However ask yourself, would this incident have been making national news in the US. Probably not as there will have been many other shootings.

Are you arguing there is no point having any laws unless it ends all of that crime? Pretty stupid eh?
Does it matter there are only 24 million people in australia?
Quote:Does it matter there are only 24 million people in australia?

Or that they are an extremely homogenized culture?

Apparently not.
Quote:Does it matter there are only 24 million people in australia?

Sure it means there should be about 1 mass shooting for every 15 in the US if they were equal. I wonder how many have happened in the US since last one in Australia?
Pages: 1 2