Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Art Rooney Sportsmanship Award
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Marks has been nominated from the Jags.
I'm trying to think if Sen'Derrick makes the most sense...

<p style="margin-left:40px;">The award will be presented each year to an NFL player who demonstrates on the field the qualities of great sportsmanship, including fair play, respect for opponents, and integrity in competition.

Quote:I'm trying to think if Sen'Derrick makes the most sense...

<p class="bbc_indent" style="margin-left:40px;">The award will be presented each year to an NFL player who demonstrates on the field the qualities of great sportsmanship, including fair play, respect for opponents, and integrity in competition.

Just curious....are you suggesting, based on that criteria, that he doesn't?
I'm not sure how any fan can make that determination, TBH.

We have no idea what is said/done in the trenches/in a pile/etc.

We have an idea we haven't seen anything particularly egregious from him, and he presents like a fundamentally decent person when interviewed.

But I know I can't say he or anyone is qualified for that award.

I wouldn't object if he won it.  I'd be thrilled.

But I can't say he meets the criteria more than any number of players team and league wide.

I think Marks is fairly highly regarded amongst other players in the league. But, he hasn't really been on the field much this season. That's the only thing that seems curious to me.
Quote:Just curious....are you suggesting, based on that criteria, that he doesn't?

No... I just have a tough time figuring out how one determines this. If I had to guess I'd say Hurns for his toughness, but then it's not really a toughness award. What is it about Marks that makes him an overly good sport? He's a good leader and always really happy. I guess that kind of is what it's about.

Quote:No... I just have a tough time figuring out how one determines this. If I had to guess I'd say Hurns for his toughness, but then it's not really a toughness award. What is it about Marks that makes him an overly good sport? He's a good leader and always really happy. I guess that kind of is what it's about.

I guess I'd agree that it's probably hard for a fan on the outside to recognize who would fit the criteria for something like this.
Actually, I'd think that Poz overly virtually anyone screams this award. He's like the ultimate NFL company man.

He is being nominated by people who personally know him.

It's silly that some of you think you have more insight into these people than the people that actually know them.

To me this award is Thomas Davis Carolina lb. I love that guy he's such a top lb and so underrated and he's always so classy...
Quote:I'm trying to think if Sen'Derrick makes the most sense...

<p style="margin-left:40px;">The award will be presented each year to an NFL player who demonstrates on the field the qualities of great sportsmanship, including fair play, respect for opponents, and integrity in competition.

Seems like an odd choice since he's only been played 4 games this season, not saying he doesn't deserve it just seems odd.
Sounds like a participation trophy...yay
Quote:Seems like an odd choice since he's only been played 4 games this season, not saying he doesn't deserve it just seems odd.

Agreed.
A panel for four NFL players will choose narrow this list down to 8 players (4 from each conference), and then current NFL players will vote on the winner.

The nominees are:

Cardinals defensive tackle Calais Campbell
Falcons cornerback Desmond Trufant
Ravens running back Justin Forsett
Bills quarterback Tyrod Taylor
Panthers linebacker Luke Kuechly
Bears running back Matt Forte
Bengals linebacker Vincent Rey
Browns quarterback Josh McCown
Cowboys linebacker Sean Lee
Broncos wideout Demaryius Thomas
Lions wideout Calvin Johnson
Packers linebacker Julius Peppers
Texans offensive tackle Duane Brown
Colts quarterback Matt Hasselbeck
Jaguars defensive tackle Sen'Derrick Marks
Chiefs linebacker Derrick Johnson
Dolphins defensive tackle Earl Mitchell
Vikings linebacker Chad Greenway
Patriots offensive tackle Nate Solder
Saints tight end Benjamin Watson
Giants running back Rashad Jennings
Jets linebacker David Harris
Raiders safety Charles Woodson
Eagles linebacker DeMeco Ryans
Steelers cornerback William Gay
Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers
49ers offensive tackle Joe Staley
Seahawks wideout Jermaine Kearse
Rams defensive tackle Aaron Donald
Buccaneers defensive tackle Gerald McCoy
Titans cornerback Jason McCourty
Redskins running back Alfred Morris.

Rivers? Still remember him flipping the bird across the field to Jay Cutler....
Quote:Rivers? Still remember him flipping the bird across the field to Jay Cutler....

That was a fun moment.