Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Keys to beating the Chargers
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
*Eliminate turnovers:  Bortles has 1 or 2 really bad throws a game.  Sometimes he gets lucky but more often than that it results in a turnover.  Sometimes throwing the ball away is the best play

*Pressure Rivers:  Phillip Rivers is an elite QB.  Given time in the pocket he will pick this defense apart.  The Jags need to stay creative in the blitz packages.   Rivers can be rattled. 

*Improve inside the Redzone:  This team needs to stop with it's big packages trying to force the ball in there.  This team should continue to spread the field and let bortles use his legs.

*Put Gratz on the bench: It's hard for me to believe there isn't another option at cb  for this team.  Gratz has been getting abused like a red-headed step child. 

*Continue to tackle well: The unsung hero of winning 3 out of 4 has been the Jags ability to tackle well.  Poz and Smith have been good tacklers but Cyprien is now playing the best football of his career.

We did put Dwayne Gratz on the bench. Anyone who watches our games knows we do have other options at cornerback and use them more often. Davon House and Aaron Colvin are the starters.

Quote:We did put Dwayne Gratz on the bench. Anyone who watches our games knows we do have other options at cornerback and use them more often. Davon House and Aaron Colvin are the starters.

Where has McCray been? Guessing hes to important on special teams.
Quote:Where has McCray been? Guessing he's too important on special teams.

Some players are better on special teams than offense or defense. McCray could be one of them, but I don't know for sure.

Right now I am more interested in what we have to do to beat San Diego. It starts with the defensive line because we are in trouble if Philip Rivers has time to get the ball out of his hand.
House, Colvin, and McCray are the three best corners on this team. Wonder if McCray has been in the doghouse for some unknown reason.
Quote:House, Colvin, and McCray are the three best corners on this team. Wonder if McCray has been in the doghouse for some unknown reason.

I don't think so. He is just not as good as House and Colvin, which means less playing time.

We are going to need Cyprien to have a good day too.
Quote:We did put Dwayne Gratz on the bench. Anyone who watches our games knows we do have other options at cornerback and use them more often. Davon House and Aaron Colvin are the starters.

He still played 65% of defensive snaps.
Andre branch must continue to terrorize qbs, and cyprien must continue to destroy rb's and wr's
Score more points
Quote:Score more points.

LOL I hate this one. The question is always how prevent them from scoring points.
Quote:I don't think so. He is just not as good as House and Colvin, which means less playing time.

We are going to need Cyprien to have a good day too.

Captain obvious
Secondary needs a big game....

RK PLAYER                TEAM COMP ATT PCT YDS   YDS/A LONG TD INT SACK RATE YDS/G

1 Tom Brady, QB        NE          271 409   66.3 3,320 8.12     76      25 4          22 107.4 332

2 Philip Rivers, QB      SD          288 420   68.6 3,211 7.65     70      19 8          24 98.2 321

3 Carson Palmer, QB  ARI         217 339   64.0 3,066 9.04    64       27 9          16 108.6 307

We don't get much pressure on the passer this year.   So the question is, do we blitz more.   Because if we don't blitz, an elite QB like Rivers will pick us apart.   Unfortunately, if we do blitz, an elite QB like Rivers knows where to go with the ball, and he will still pick us apart.   So we can look forward to Rivers picking us apart no matter what we do. 

Therefore, the key to winning the game is our offense.   We need a good day offensively to win this game.   We've got weapons, but a lot of them we haven't even used yet, like Lee and Thomas and Rashad Greene.    We need to get all our weapons involved.  

If Blake has a good game, we will win.   If not, Rivers will pick us apart all day.  

Quote:Some players are better on special teams than offense or defense. McCray could be one of them, but I don't know for sure.

Right now I am more interested in what we have to do to beat San Diego. It starts with the defensive line because we are in trouble if Philip Rivers has time to get the ball out of his hand.
You should change your signature to this......
Quote:Secondary needs a big game....

RK PLAYER                TEAM COMP ATT PCT YDS   YDS/A LONG TD INT SACK RATE YDS/G

1 Tom Brady, QB        NE          271 409   66.3 3,320 8.12     76      25 4          22 107.4 332

2 Philip Rivers, QB      SD          288 420   68.6 3,211 7.65     70      19 8          24 98.2 321

3 Carson Palmer, QB  ARI         217 339   64.0 3,066 9.04    64       27 9          16 108.6 307
Oh man... Look at Palmers numbers.

That dude is straight balling right now. 150 less yards on 71 less completions. Rivers is dinking and dunking his way to those stats. We just need to wrap up and tackle.
Limit turnovers

Create turnovers

score the most points...

Don't allow their tight ends to exploit the soft spot in the zone all day.
Quote:Don't allow their tight ends to exploit the soft spot in the zone all day.
Until this team has more speed at safety and MLB - I think they are just conceding 100+ yds per game to TEs over the middle in order to try to take away the deep ball.

Sacrificing one for the other. Not an ideal strategy - but one that may be aided down the road as the defense acquires more talent.

Even if Gates has a field day - the Jags should be able to pull this off if they can finish with a positive turnover ratio.
Contain Woodhead 

Pages: 1 2 3