Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Ahmed ‘The Clock Kid’ is Back in the News, Family Demanding $10 Million From City
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Ahmed ‘The Clock Kid’ is Back in the News, Family Demanding $10 Million From City

Well it looks like everyone’s favorite fake teenage victim, Ahmed “Clock Kid” Mohammed is back in the news again.

This time it’s due to his family demanding $10 million over the infamous fake clock incident, along with written apologies from the mayor and police chief.

If their demands aren’t met — almost sounds like a terrorist negotiation, doesn’t it? — within 60 days, bad things will happen.

http://www.youngcons.com/ahmed-the-clock...from-city/

Imagine that.

Actually, his family wants $15M. $10M from the city, $5M from the ISD.

Has anyone seen the list of "damages" the family is claiming? I mean, I don't know, being given admission to one of the most prestigious educations programs and his family paid to move to Qatar for it. If someone paid me to move my kid halfway across the world for an education light-years ahead of anything he could ever hope for in a Texas public school, I'd probably just stop while I was way ahead.

I initially defended the kid, and I still salute his ingenuity and think that the school officials and cops who handled the situation look like/are idiots, but I do think his parents quickly recognized this as something they could use to gain notoriety and reap some rewards. Accepting a scholarship to an outstanding educational program in Qatar I can understand, and frankly, I'd have done the same thing. Telling the country that embraced you while you're on a public stage in DC at the President's invitation that you're moving away is bull. For the family to come back and demand millions of dollars after already finding themselves far better off anyway is just insulting.

Why do people want vilify this kid? A terrorist negotiation? The letter came from an American attorney. Probably one trying to cash in. Just like thousands of other American lawyers do every year. USA! USA!

The thing they threatened is a civil action suit, not 'bad things'.  

Honestly the kid loses all sympathy when he and his family demand $15M in damages.  It's unfortunate that there's a lot of kids out there who have the ingenuity to do great things and will never be able to afford college, while this kid gets all these offers and then decides to sue the city and the public school system for a big pay day.  

The school system shouldn't be sued at all, and the city shouldn't be sued unless it's true that they denied him his civil right to speak to his father.  

Quote:Why do people want vilify this kid? A terrorist negotiation? The letter came from an American attorney. Probably one trying to cash in. Just like thousands of other American lawyers do every year. USA! USA!
I rarely take anything Drifter says (or steals from one of this PMS-rag articles) seriously. It's no more a terrorist negotiation than a demand for spousal support is.

I have no issues with the kid. He built something and took it in to show off, then found himself caught up in the stupidity of other people. My problem is with his parents manipulating the situation the way they did, then ultimately saying, "Hey, thanks everyone who supported us, but we're going to move to Qatar because [BAD WORD REMOVED] you, that's why."

Also worth mentioning: lawyers can't just write letters with someone's name on them in hopes that their desired plaintiff signs on later. The parents had to OK that demand for apologies and damages (what damages?!) going out. The kid is brilliant. His parents are pure sleaze.

Quote:I rarely take anything Drifter says (or steals from one of this PMS-rag articles) seriously. It's no more a terrorist negotiation than a demand for spousal support is.

I have no issues with the kid. He built something and took it in to show off, then found himself caught up in the stupidity of other people. My problem is with his parents manipulating the situation the way they did, then ultimately saying, "Hey, thanks everyone who supported us, but we're going to move to Qatar because [BAD WORD REMOVED] you, that's why."

Also worth mentioning: lawyers can't just write letters with someone's name on them in hopes that their desired plaintiff signs on later. The parents had to OK that demand for apologies and damages (what damages?!) going out. The kid is brilliant. His parents are pure sleaze.

Of course the parents are in on it. Trying to make a buck. They are as sleazy as the lawyers sending the letter.

But the kid is 14 years old. I doubt he has anything to do with this lawsuit.
Quote:Of course the parents are in on it. Trying to make a buck. They are as sleazy as the lawyers sending the letter.

But the kid is 14 years old. I doubt he has anything to do with this lawsuit.
All the kid knows is that he put something together, his principal called the cops so they could all [BLEEP] a brick over it together, and next thing he knew he had an invitation to the White House and was moving to Qatar to continue his schooling. I can't fault him for that.
Threatening to sue someone for an absurd amount of money because of something that was ultimately a minor inconvenience? I can't think anything more American. 

Can't Qatar to these schmucks. But as someone mentioned, any real American patriot lawyer wouldn't take the case.

Offer them a sun dial clock to take to their new desert home, and let little brainiac play with it.

Sue this mother piss
Quote:I rarely take anything Drifter says (or steals from one of this PMS-rag articles) seriously. It's no more a terrorist negotiation than a demand for spousal support is.

Initially I backed the kid up because I thought that perhaps he had actually built something.  The facts later proved otherwise, though this was never published by any MSM outlet.  All that he did was remove the guts from an old alarm clock and install them into a different case.  Had the kid actually soldered parts together, written some code to make it work or something like that, then I would be on his side.  At this point to me, the kid doesn't look "brilliant" in my eyes in the least bit.

Regarding Drifter's link that he posted (which I didn't read), the actual story from local media in Dallas reported that the family is in fact suing.

As far as him and his family moving to Qatar, what is interesting is that this is how radical Islamic Jihadists are created... by sending them to certain schools.  The Qatar Foundation is who paid for the move, and something seems rather suspicious.  From the wiki page.

Quote: 

These centers sit alongside the Qatar Faculty of Islamic Studies which began its first graduate classes in the 2007-2008 academic year. An international center for Islamic thinking and dialogue, it aims to produce scholars who are grounded in Islamic faith, practice and civilization
. It offers master's degrees in Islamic finance, contemporary Islamic studies and Islamic public policy.

The foundation was founded by Hamad bin Khalifa Al Thani.  This guy isn't exactly one that I would jump to trust.  Here are a couple of interesting excerpts from his wikapedia page.

Quote: 

During Hamad's rule, Qatar hosted two US military bases. It also remained close with Hamas and Iran. He supported and funded rebel movements, particularly in Libya and Syria during the Arab Spring while maintaining political stability at home. The Sheikh founded news media group Al Jazeera, through which he maintained his influence over the Arab World. He also played a part in negotiations between US and the Taliban.  In June 2013 Hamad in his brief televised address announced that he would hand power to his 35-year-old son, Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani.

In December 2012, The New York Times accused the Qatari government of funding the Al-Nusra Front, a U.S. government designated terrorist organization.  Others have noted the Emir's visit to Gaza and meeting with Hamas
, which houses a militant wing, Izz ad-Din al-Qassam Brigades.  In January 2013, French politicians again accused the Emir's government of giving material support to Islamist groups in Mali
and the French newspaper Le Canard enchaîné quoted an unnamed source in French military intelligence saying that "The MNLA, al Qaeda-linked Ansar Dine and MUJAO have all received cash from Doha.

Hmmm....  the guy is close to radical groups in the region.  What just recently happened in Mali?
Quote:As far as him and his family moving to Qatar, what is interesting is that this is how radical Islamic Jihadists are created... by sending them to certain schools.  The Qatar Foundation is who paid for the move, and something seems rather suspicious.  From the wiki page.
I had a hunch you or jj would take it there, and I'm disappointed. There are many easier ways to make the kid into a radical jihadist than this. It happened, the parents saw a way to get some attention (and probably easy cash), and the opportunity to move to Qatar and get a full ride presented itself.

I think it's more likely that his parents and backers in Qatar want him to become a world-class scientist or engineer and rub him in the United States' face. Having the "clock kid" blow up a school bus would be a massive embarrassment to all involved.
Quote:I had a hunch you or jj would take it there, and I'm disappointed. There are many easier ways to make the kid into a radical jihadist than this. It happened, the parents saw a way to get some attention (and probably easy cash), and the opportunity to move to Qatar and get a full ride presented itself.

I think it's more likely that his parents and backers in Qatar want him to become a world-class scientist or engineer and rub him in the United States' face. Having the "clock kid" blow up a school bus would be a massive embarrassment to all involved.

That's exactly what they want you to believe.  Once the idea of "being grounded in Islamic faith, practice and civilization" is taught, the next step is Jihad.  As always, I can recommend a good book that describes how this process works.

The kid is by no means "brilliant".  I've seen nothing that shows that he has any idea about how electronics work, or how to program something.  He didn't "build" or "make" anything at all.  I have participated in forums where kids of his age were at least trying and asking questions related to programming and/or basic electronics theory.  Those are kids that deserve praise and/or scholarships to special schools.
Quote:That's exactly what they want you to believe.
Eric, do you have any tinfoil left over? JIB needs a hat.
Quote:Having the "clock kid" blow up a school bus would be a massive embarrassment to all involved.

Yeah right, he'd be a celebrated martyr and a role model for future not-so-smart bombs.
I agree this kid was wrongly singled out for his ethnicity, but.. this is ridic.
Quote:Why do people want vilify this kid? A terrorist negotiation? The letter came from an American attorney. Probably one trying to cash in. Just like thousands of other American lawyers do every year. USA! USA!

That's my reaction, too.  He's just doing things the American way.   Sue them! 
Quote:Actually, his family wants $15M. $10M from the city, $5M from the ISD.

Has anyone seen the list of "damages" the family is claiming? I mean, I don't know, being given admission to one of the most prestigious educations programs and his family paid to move to Qatar for it. If someone paid me to move my kid halfway across the world for an education light-years ahead of anything he could ever hope for in a Texas public school, I'd probably just stop while I was way ahead.

I initially defended the kid, and I still salute his ingenuity and think that the school officials and cops who handled the situation look like/are idiots, but I do think his parents quickly recognized this as something they could use to gain notoriety and reap some rewards. Accepting a scholarship to an outstanding educational program in Qatar I can understand, and frankly, I'd have done the same thing. Telling the country that embraced you while you're on a public stage in DC at the President's invitation that you're moving away is bull. For the family to come back and demand millions of dollars after already finding themselves far better off anyway is just insulting.

What ingenuity?  Its been established, he took a clock out of a case and put it in a case that looks suspicious.  Given his families history and his sisters past interactions with authorities the most likely scenario is that this was an intentional provocation with an inherently suspicious looking device.  The idea that this kid is praised or saluted at all is a slap in the face to all hard working kids out there making real contributions to the fields that they study (There was a kid at my old advanced middle school that invented a new stitching technique for an abdominal surgery.)
Quote:Eric, do you have any tinfoil left over? JIB needs a hat.

Keep thinking that way.  A week ago you were all about going after ISIS and terrorists by whatever means.  I'm pointing out where these terrorists are taught and created.

Quote:I agree this kid was wrongly singled out for his ethnicity, but.. this is ridic.

No he wasn't.
Quote:Keep thinking that way.  A week ago you were all about going after ISIS and terrorists by whatever means.  I'm pointing out where these terrorists are taught and created.

No he wasn't.

now now, don't intimate that terrorism has anything to do with muslim culture, political theory, history, faith, or any of that boring factual reasoning that you're bothering with.  Let's get on the "Baathists would have saved the world train."
Pages: 1 2