Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: It's been a LONG time...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
since we have been able to look at other teams closing schedules to see which teams to root for and when.

I'm thrilled to be able to do this in late November instead of looking at mock drafts in October.

Houston's Remaining Schedule...

11/22  NY Jets

11/29  New Orleans

12/6   @ Buffalo

12/13 New England

12/20 @ Indy

12/27 @Ten

1/3     Jaguars

Excluding the Jaguars to close the season, the Texans are looking at 3-4 additional possible losses-the Jets, @ Buffalo, New England, and Indy.

Indy's Remaining Schedule

11/22  @ Atlanta

11/29  Tampa Bay

12/6   @ Pittsburgh

12/13 @ Jaguars

12/20 Houston

12/27 @ Miami

1/3  Tennessee

The game 12/13 here in Jacksonville has the potential to be huge if Jacksonville takes care of business these next two weeks.  Besides that, the week before could see Indy lose in Pittsburgh, in Atlanta this Sunday, and maybe against Houston.

As ugly as our games have sometimes been, as frustrated as we've been as this team learns to win, the Jaguars have a shot at winning the division.  This San Diego game will be a huge test for us, but it's winnable.

Agree with you on the schedules.  It is nice to see potential moving towards talent.  And to actually see a core developing.  Still easy to nit pick what is wrong but dang it is nice to have somethings moving right.

Quote:Agree with you on the schedules.  It is nice to see potential moving towards talent.  And to actually see a core developing.  Still easy to nit pick what is wrong but dang it is nice to have somethings moving right.
I have no illusions that we are a team without weaknesses.

I know we have holes on the roster in key spots, and there is still maturing we need to do at many positions. 

But I also know we now have hope in November-December.
great to see the NFL putting the Colts on a pedestal with all of these perennial playoff opponents. Warms my heart to see them crumble

Quote:great to see the NFL putting the Colts on a pedestal with all of these perennial playoff opponents. Warms my heart to see them crumble

You do realize how schedules are put together right?

6 Games vs Division

4 Games vs Division in your conference  (same for all 4 teams)

4 Games vs Division not in your conference (same for all 4 teams)

2 Games vs opponent from Division in your conference matching Division Standing from previous year (1 vs 1, 2 vs 2, 3 vs 3, 4 vs 4).

So... two games different outside of playing your own division, against 1st place teams in their division due to Indy being the 1st place team last year.

Looking at strength of schedule vs Division Opponents is meh at best since only 2 games are different.
I hope we win out but thats not expected, if we lose games they need to be to the Saints and Falcons, NFC teams wont hurt us in tie breaker

I think its gonna come down to those last 2 games of the year vs Colts and Texans 

Quote:I hope we win out but thats not expected, if we lose games they need to be to the Saints and Falcons, NFC teams wont hurt us in tie breaker

I think its gonna come down to those last 2 games of the year vs Colts and Texans 

It will definitely come down to the last two weeks. The Colts and Texans already beat us, however, so the first applicable tiebreaker is the division record if we win.
San Diego worries me. I can see Rivers throwing for 500 yards and 5 TDs if we don't generate a pass rush.
Quote:San Diego worries me. I can see Rivers throwing for 500 yards and 5 TDs if we don't generate a pass rush.
They worry me too.

I remember seeing some NFL Films footage of the game last year and it has stuck with me ever since. 

They had their coach wear a mic for the game.

At one point in the second half, McCoy told his coordinator "They can't cover our receivers.  Call anything you want."

With us having House, Colvin, and some semblance of credible safety play, to say nothing of their top two receivers being out, I wonder if that would still hold true this year.
Quote:They worry me too.

I remember seeing some NFL Films footage of the game last year and it has stuck with me ever since. 

They had their coach wear a mic for the game.

At one point in the second half, McCoy told his coordinator "They can't cover our receivers.  Call anything you want."

With us having House, Colvin, and some semblance of credible safety play, to say nothing of their top two receivers being out, I wonder if that would still hold true this year.

I really like Phillip Rivers and McCoy as a head coach its a shame they have been decimated by injuries the last 2 years.  Put Rivers on the NY jets and they are competing for a superbowl.  Just hoping we get the crappy version of SD we have seen at times this year.
Quote:I really like Phillip Rivers and McCoy as a head coach its a shame they have been decimated by injuries the last 2 years.  Put Rivers on the NY jets and they are competing for a superbowl.  Just hoping we get the crappy version of SD we have seen at times this year.
Me too...though I don't feel sorry for them over their injuries.

When we had our slew of injuries, nobody cared.
We got the human heat seeking missile, knee and leg destroyer, Cyprien to strike fear to their rb/receivers.

Quote:since we have been able to look at other teams closing schedules to see which teams to root for and when.

I'm thrilled to be able to do this in late November instead of looking at mock drafts in October.

Houston's Remaining Schedule...

11/22  NY Jets

11/29  New Orleans

12/6   @ Buffalo

12/13 New England

12/20 @ Indy

12/27 @Ten

1/3     Jaguars

Excluding the Jaguars to close the season, the Texans are looking at 3-4 additional possible losses-the Jets, @ Buffalo, New England, and Indy.

Indy's Remaining Schedule

11/22  @ Atlanta

11/29  Tampa Bay

12/6   @ Pittsburgh

12/13 @ Jaguars

12/20 Houston

12/27 @ Miami

1/3  Tennessee

The game 12/13 here in Jacksonville has the potential to be huge if Jacksonville takes care of business these next two weeks.  Besides that, the week before could see Indy lose in Pittsburgh, in Atlanta this Sunday, and maybe against Houston.

As ugly as our games have sometimes been, as frustrated as we've been as this team learns to win, the Jaguars have a shot at winning the division.  This San Diego game will be a huge test for us, but it's winnable.
It's kind'a funny but I was just thinking how odd it feels at this time of year to be thinking about potential (I say again... potential) playoff possibilities, instead of thinking about our next draft pick. To read what many of the national sport writers are saying, we should be ashamed of ourselves for even entertaining such thoughts. I guess that they, like many of us, have gotten so used to the Jags bumbling ways that they just automatically expect them to lose. When they don't, it upsets the 'apple cart' and the people who push it.

So okay; I concede the Jags have been on the receiving end of some extra luck lately. So what? We've been on the receiving end of 'no luck at all' for years prior to this! No one who knows anything at all about football is going to argue that we've got some glaring holes on our roster that need to be filled ASAP. We've also still have a predominantly very young roster who still at times make rookie mistakes. Example: Bortles leads the league in fourth quarter interceptions thrown. Why? Cause he tries too much solo heroics... a rookie(ish) mistake.

So maybe we'll get 'lucky' again and get a W over the chargers. It's an away game for them and as we know, that time change from coast to coast can be tough. They are pretty beat up too, as have been many of the teams we thought we could/should/would beat were. More helpful to us, since we played a TNF game, we've got a long week to rest and prepare. We actually have a little bit of momentum (I hesitate to call winning two games in a row 'momentum' but there it is) which should help motivate the team. The fans are actually starting to feel some excitement for the first time in a long time. This all plays in the Jags favor.

The sport pundits seem kinda' resentful, the rub being that we're being handed the AFC South title on a silver platter... and we don't deserve it. I wonder how many teams have made it to the playoffs of whom it could be argued weren't very good? More than a few, I bet.
Quote:We got the human heat seeking missile, knee and leg destroyer, Cyprien to strike fear to their RB/receivers.

When has anyone ever suffered knee or leg damage after being tackled by Cyprien?
Quote:San Diego worries me. I can see Rivers throwing for 500 yards and 5 TDs if we don't generate a pass rush.

Yeah Rivers is right up there in yards behind just Brady. We got to get pressure for sure. They are unhealthy at wr though.
Quote:When has anyone ever suffered knee or leg damage after being tackled by Cyprien?

I was kind of wondering that myself.

Now Poz on the other hand... seems to cause a good bit of pain.
Looking at Houston and Indy's schedule I have to think at least one of them will go 8-8.  Im looking at Indy... they are 4-3 in their last 7 which includes a 7 point loss to New England and a 3 point loss at Carolina.  For as down as they are, they arent a terrible team.  And I think they're getting better.  (theyve got two tough games in the next 3 weeks at Atlanta and at Pittsburgh... praying they lose those because that would be 7 losses... and I cant envision us winning the division and losing to Indy in a few weeks so that would make 8 losses for them if we can get them)

For us to make the playoffs, I wasnt convinced of this a few weeks ago, but now I think we have to win all of our remaining division games.  If we could somehow miraculously do that then we'd only need to go 1-2 in the remaining non-division games to finish 8-8.  And I'd really like our chances of winning the division at 8-8 going 4-2 in the division.  Maybe there is a scenario we go 8-8 and finish 3-3 in the division with that one more loss being at Tenn, but just not sure we can be 0-2 against Indy or Houston.  I just dont think the tiebreakers will work out in our favor.  

Saying all that I'm not sure this San Diego game is a must win.  Obviously any win right now would be big and obviously we still have a chance for a wildcard so conference games are important.  But I think we could lose to SD and not lose much as far as the division race.  And ultimately I think winning the division race is our best chance of making the playoffs.  With 7 teams in front of us battling for 2 wild cards spots.... one of which being 6-4 pittsburgh... i just think the wildcard race may be too condensed for us to leapfrog that many teams.  gotta think some team will win 9 games and the 6th seed.

Quote:When has anyone ever suffered knee or leg damage after being tackled by Cyprien?
Did you Cyprien flash from one side of the tv screen to the other in a blink of an eye as he launched himself like a torpedo at McClusters legs. It was a thing of beauty.

Not the legs, but when Cyprien try to annhilate Lesean Mccoy in the shoulder/neck area.

Quote:I was kind of wondering that myself.

Now Poz on the other hand... seems to cause a good bit of pain.

Did you not watch the game last night? He destroyed McCluster.
Quote:Did you not watch the game last night? He destroyed McCluster.

A single instance does not a trend make.

That said... I was too busy cringing when McCluster got hit to notice who did it...
Pages: 1 2