Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Impressions From The Titans Game
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
It was great to finally be back at the stadium after being starved from home games for almost two months.  Making it particularly satisfying was the tremendous level of female talent at this game.  What babeage!  I do need to get one thing off my chest.  There was a group of about 10 fans or so who seemingly spent more time going back and forth to the concession stands than they did actually watching the game.  The thing is, they all seemed to follow each other, as if they couldn't stand to be apart from each other very long.  That was absolutely ridiculous, people!

Anyway...to the analysis...

1.  Welcome back, Rashad Greene!!!  Your punt return was clutch!!!  This is one of the few times under the Bradley regime that Special teams was a positive catalyst for the entire game.  There were no long returns allowed.  No turnovers surrendered.  No blocked punts.  No missed FGs.  Good job guys, and especially Greene!

2.  I thought Bortles had a decent game.  He attacked downfield quite a bit with some success to Robinson and Walters.  That INT was maddening, and the fumble on the QB sneak kept the game close.  But, at the end, he came through with a TD at the end of the game.  That's what you want out of a young QB.  I thought he made a concerted effort to get Julius Thomas involved early, but then they seemed to get away from him for a while.  Glad BB found him

3.  The defense still lacks a pass rush, but they did a good enough job against the Tacks.  My fears of increased vulnerability against the run because of Alualu were not realized.  They held up okay.  Mariota inflated their numbers.  They managed four sacks against the Tacks.  Nice to have a Ryan Davis sighting (not a knock on him).  Also nice to have an Andre Branch sighting (a knock on him).

But the defense came up clutch, from the forced fumble, to the stops short of the first downs, to the very last play of the game.

4.  Offensive Playcaling was a mixed bag again.  I liked the trick play call with the Walters pass.  ARob was open deep.  That was just a pathetic pass.  Denard Robinson was a college QB.  Why not utilize him on that play in the capacity you utilized Walters?  Once again, Bradley and Olsen tried to establish physicality inside the five.  Like in London, the team ran three straight times.  Like in London, the team failed to punch it in.  Combine that with the failure to get the first down on 3rd and short when trying to ice the game, and the inescapable conclusion is that short yardage is killing this team.  We need a more physical running game.  While Wiz's experience and added bulk vis-a-vis Bowanko has helped this team, I wonder if that is a position we can upgrade.

5.  That said, Yeldon had a pretty good game.

6.  Anyone else irritated with those PI penalties in the 2nd half?  What in the world are our CBs supposed to do?  Tennessee DBs got away with some contact.

7.  Bottom line:  The team has won back to back games under Bortles for the first time, and has won 3 out of the last 4 games.  Is this team learning how to win?  You can make the case either way, I think, and only tie will tell if what that answer is.  However, it's always good beating the tacks.  Beating them this game guaranteed the tacks will have another non winning season, which is a good thing.  Now to root like crazy for the Jets and Falcons.

• Bortles had one awful decision but overall played really, really well. Nice bounce back from last week.
  • both Rbs looked good.
  • Thomas starting to show signs of life. Also caught a game winning TD. I guess that's pretty good.
  • Allen Robinson is a god. That catch he made leaping over 2 defenders was just ridiculous.
  • OL looked good in run blocking actually for the most part, still can't pass protect. Hard to know whose fault it is watching live but I felt like it was usually Joeckel and Beadles.
  • this run D is excellent. Miller and Odrick were straight beasting.
  • pass rush had a pulse! Against a terrible OL, but I'll take it.
  • McCray getting snaps at CB was a breath of fresh air. House - Colvin -McCray isn't an amazing trio but it's not bad. House earning his money lately.
  • Cyp is stringing some good games together
  • special teams finally has a good day. Myers hit all his kicks, banger had good punts, coverage was good, and obviously Greene had his big return.
  • I kinda liked the uniforms in the teaser pics but I think they looked awful in action :/
<p style="font-family:verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif;background-color:rgb(240,243,252);">I think this was a pretty damn complete effort. I feel like we outplayed the Titans more than the score would suggest, stalling out in the redzone was our biggest problem.

Bortles did not play really really well. He wasn't terrible but 2 turnovers is not well. Left the pocket too soon at times and walking into sacks. He has to cut down on his interceptions the rest of the way.
If I may add...

Tennessee was bringing smoke all game - it was clear to me that they felt they could exploit Wiz and they acted on it all night long. Bortles did walk into a lot of sacks, but the pocket just seemed very small tonight and I attribute that to the number of rushers. For the team to move forward, the offense is going to have to learn how to be successful versus the blitz.

The running game is effective, if not spectacular - seemed like Yeldon and Robinson were getting yards, but the unit as a whole needs to learn how to get the tough ones. The running game isn't there yet, but they all need to get better if the offense isn't too be all on Bortles.

Bortles is a young QB - this game was another demonstration of it with his flashes of greatness and his boneheadedness. We got ourselves a good one folks, but he's got some growing up to do.

The defense really, really needs a pass Rusher - 'nuff said.

The officiating seemed particularly bad - they essentially walked Tennessee down the field late in the game and it made no sense to me.

Mariota had himself a nice game - gonna be fun watching him and Bortles go toe to toe over the next few years.
Was nice to see us limit Mariota's road succes . Only hado an 81 rating compared to his 133 average road.

Blake's int was an ok decision, JT was open there, just poor ball placement. He throws that over the defender or more outside and it's first and goal or a potential td.

Give credit to Gus where it's due. The timeout to adjust coverage and keep everything inside before the half was a nice coaching move.

Red Zone play calling is still puzzling. But from what I'm hearing, Blake is having trouble on fade placement so that could be a reason.

The defense has been much better, our secondary is playing well, add a non blitz pass rush and they should be pretty solid.

Was nice to see DRob as the change of pace over Gerhart.

Gus is 8-9 after a bye week.
PFF grades, for those interested: http://imgur.com/a/fo4Jz

Pretty much what you'd expect. Bortles, A-Rob and the right side of the OL good. Left side of the OL bad. Most of the defense good. Leos, FS, and Gratz bad. 

I don't know if this has been mentioned but the officiating is making it very difficult to not have conspiracy thoughts pop into my head.  It looked to me like the team let down a bit after the zebras gift wrapped the touchdown drive to the tacks with the PI calls.  Thank goodness they got it together and pulled it out in the end.

I'd like to give a shout out to the fans there with me in the stands. That place was electric! GO JAGS!

Quote:PFF grades, for those interested: http://imgur.com/a/fo4Jz

Pretty much what you'd expect. Bortles, A-Rob and the right side of the OL good. Left side of the OL bad. Most of the defense good. Leos, FS, and Gratz bad. 

Wow.  For once, that's exactly the way I saw it. 
Watching Blake with the Allens feels good. Need a passrush and better blocking. Also can Yeldon get redzone snaps?
Why QBR is garbage:

Mariota 81.8

Blake 33.8
Quote:Bortles did not play really really well. He wasn't terrible but 2 turnovers is not well. Left the pocket too soon at times and walking into sacks. He has to cut down on his interceptions the rest of the way.

On the NFL Network post game, they asked him if their was anything the team could do to help him improve.  He said I have to cut down on those interceptions.  It is a good thing that he knows it and will work on it.  He is playing really well for a second year QB.

Honestly I think the coaching staff is holding the progress in check a little bit too much.  I loved the trick play and felt bad for Walters because he knew he choked the throw.  That was pretty much where the creativity ended.
Quote:If I may add...

Tennessee was bringing smoke all game - it was clear to me that they felt they could exploit Wiz and they acted on it all night long. Bortles did walk into a lot of sacks, but the pocket just seemed very small tonight and I attribute that to the number of rushers. For the team to move forward, the offense is going to have to learn how to be successful versus the blitz.

The running game is effective, if not spectacular - seemed like Yeldon and Robinson were getting yards, but the unit as a whole needs to learn how to get the tough ones. The running game isn't there yet, but they all need to get better if the offense isn't too be all on Bortles.

Bortles is a young QB - this game was another demonstration of it with his flashes of greatness and his boneheadedness. We got ourselves a good one folks, but he's got some growing up to do.

The defense really, really needs a pass Rusher - 'nuff said.

The officiating seemed particularly bad - they essentially walked Tennessee down the field late in the game and it made no sense to me.

Mariota had himself a nice game - gonna be fun watching him and Bortles go toe to toe over the next few years.

Yep, that pretty much sums up my thoughts.   There was a 3rd and long late in the game with us trailing, and Tennessee was obviously going to bring a heavy blitz, and Bortles obviously saw it, and yet, he dropped back, held the ball and got sacked.   What the heck.   There has to be a play to deal with that. 

About the officiating- at the end of the first half, Tennessee from their own 5 yard line ran the clock down to 2:15 and got called for delay of game.   Then they lined up, and the officials started the clock, and it ran down to the 2 minute warning.  What the heck.   How does the clock get re-started after a delay of game penalty without the offense running a play?   What am I missing there?  
The offensive line cant figure out how to create a pocket.

Blake still turns the ball over at critical times in the game.

Running 3 times in a row from the 2 still doesn't work.

Special teams finally had a good game.. first one in about 7 years.

The defense finished strong.

Much respect to House, those refs were out to get him all night, and they were wrong on a few calls.

One of Mariota's passes on his last drive, where the ball was batted down by Colvin? I seriously thought the refs were going to flag that.

It looked similar to the 2 PI calls on the Titans' TD drive.

Agree with the impressions.  I would add one comment...

There was a time late in the game that Blake knew pre-snap the Tacks were going to Blitz 2 right up the middle, yet he did not change into a play that would have given him a quick option or take advantage of the hole being created in the middle.  Instead, he snapped the ball, and got buried with the blitzers.  I wonder how much freedom he has to switch the play at the line? 

My analysis of the game is.  We got lucky again. 

AFC South Championship, here we come.

Quote:Agree with the impressions.  I would add one comment...

There was a time late in the game that Blake knew pre-snap the Tacks were going to Blitz 2 right up the middle, yet he did not change into a play that would have given him a quick option or take advantage of the hole being created in the middle.  Instead, he snapped the ball, and got buried with the blitzers.  I wonder how much freedom he has to switch the play at the line? 

Depends on what the personnel grouping was like on that play.  I think that comes down to a sight read and it isn't enough for him to know it.  He has to have that same page mentality with a safety valve guy.  We don't have that go to guy when the play goes awry.

Burnell and Jimmy had it ala Denver play where it was one on one coverage and they would change to the fade for a bang bang play.  That is a relationship play and they both see and know what to do.  We aren't there yet with an equivalent mind meld.

Quote:My analysis of the game is.  We got lucky again. 

AFC South Championship, here we come.
and Mariota didn't? How about that ball that was tipped straight into the air and right into Walkers hands?
Quote:
  • Bortles had one awful decision but overall played really, really well. Nice bounce back from last week.
  • both Rbs looked good.
  • Thomas starting to show signs of life. Also caught a game winning TD. I guess that's pretty good.
  • Allen Robinson is a god. That catch he made leaping over 2 defenders was just ridiculous.
  • OL looked good in run blocking actually for the most part, still can't pass protect. Hard to know whose fault it is watching live but I felt like it was usually Joeckel and Beadles.
  • this run D is excellent. Miller and Odrick were straight beasting.
  • pass rush had a pulse! Against a terrible OL, but I'll take it.
  • McCray getting snaps at CB was a breath of fresh air. House - Colvin -McCray isn't an amazing trio but it's not bad. House earning his money lately.
  • Cyp is stringing some good games together
  • special teams finally has a good day. Myers hit all his kicks, banger had good punts, coverage was good, and obviously Greene had his big return.
  • I kinda liked the uniforms in the teaser pics but I think they looked awful in action :/

I think this was a pretty damn complete effort. I feel like we outplayed the Titans more than the score would suggest, stalling out in the redzone was our biggest problem.

I agree with all of this except two things.

1. I don't think the interception was a bad decision by bortles, I think it just wasn't a good throw.

2. I loved the uniforms and all my jaguar hating friends said "at least the unis look good."

I'll also add that I'm not impressed with mariota lately. They're making him play overly safe ball, which isn't a surprise with Mullarkey as coach, but even still, running the dink and dunk TE check downs, for most of the game his completion percent was pretty bad too.
Pages: 1 2