Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: U. Minnesota student government votes against 9/11 ceremony, “Don’t Offend Muslims”
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

U. Minnesota student government votes against 9/11 ceremony, “Don’t Offend Muslims”

A resolution to honor the anniversary of the 9/11 terrorist attacks each year at the University of Minnesota was rejected by the student government there, with some students expressing concern that such a measure could foster “Islamaphobia.”

Twenty-three of the students representing undergraduates voted for it, three abstained, and 36 voted against it.

http://conservativepost.com/u-minnesota-...d-muslims/

How tolerant.

Quote: 

“Don’t Offend Muslims”
For anyone who didn't read the article; the student government never actually said that. It was added by the writer(s) of the article. 

Quote:For anyone who didn't read the article; the student government never actually said that. It was added by the writer(s) of the article. 

David Algadi, director of Minnesota Students Association wrote:

“The passing of this resolution might make a space that is unsafe for students on campus even more unsafe,” said Algadi, “Islamophobia and racism fueled through that are alive and well.”

Algadi added that holding a moment of recognition over a tragedy committed by non-white perpetrators could increase racist attitudes on campus, asking, “When will we start having moments of silence for all of the times white folks have done something terrible?”

DragonFury, did YOU read the article? Or do you need everything spelled out for you?

The UM SA director said it himself. He doesn't want want the event because of perceived Islamophobia, meaning he fears it will be offensive. They voted against to "not offend Muslims".

Deport them out of the US now.

Quote:David Algadi, director of Minnesota Students Association wrote:

“The passing of this resolution might make a space that is unsafe for students on campus even more unsafe,” said Algadi, “Islamophobia and racism fueled through that are alive and well.”

Algadi added that holding a moment of recognition over a tragedy committed by non-white perpetrators could increase racist attitudes on campus, asking, “When will we start having moments of silence for all of the times white folks have done something terrible?”

DragonFury, did YOU read the article? Or do you need everything spelled out for you?

The UM SA director said it himself. He doesn't want want the event because of perceived Islamophobia, meaning he fears it will be offensive. They voted against to "not offend Muslims".
Beat me to it!
This is just stupid.

I'm not worried about offending them. They offended me when those towers fell and I saw them dancing in the streets in Muslim countries.

Political correctness will be the death of this country.

Quote:David Algadi, director of Minnesota Students Association wrote:

None of that says "Don't offend Muslims". But somehow that oversimplified statement ends up in quotation marks in the article's header. A more appropriate quote would be some like "monument might fuel Islamophobia". But that wouldn't fit with the site's clear and obvious agenda of essentially going "RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE!!!"

And if you're wondering; I disagree with the idea that a monument might result in Islamophobia. 
Quote:I'm not worried about offending them. They offended me when those towers fell and I saw them dancing in the streets in Muslim countries.

Political correctness will be the death of this country.

You aren't Drifter, but I am. Without anonymity, I would probably be much more quiet on these kinds of topics. I know you have seen how people are losing their jobs and their livelihoods for speaking the truth against fundamental Islam, BLM, illegals, etc. I have children and a wife to support. I also work for a high-profile corporation who wouldn't even blink at firing me because I have a dissenting opinion. Am I willing to risk it all in this case? Most likely not.

You are correct though. Political correctness is rotting this country away. The pendulum has to swing back.
As a society we lack the moral clarity to defend ourselvez.
Quote:You aren't Drifter, but I am. Without anonymity, I would probably be much more quiet on these kinds of topics.
Are you using Tor?

If you are, have you used Task Manager to close every nonessential program on your computer--and some essential ones?

If not, you're not anonymous. Even if you have, there's probably still something tracking you and sending info back to some database somewhere, especially if you're on Windows 10 or OS X.
Quote:Are you using Tor?

If you are, have you used Task Manager to close every nonessential program on your computer--and some essential ones?

If not, you're not anonymous. Even if you have, there's probably still something tracking you and sending info back to some database somewhere, especially if you're on Windows 10 or OS X.

Can you or the Twittersphere figure out who I am based on this post? No? Then I am anonymous enough. I am not looking to hide from government agencies (yet Ninja ) so I have no need to use Tor, VPNs, or proxies.
Quote:Can you or the Twittersphere figure out who I am based on this post? No? Then I am anonymous enough. I am not looking to hide from government agencies (yet Ninja ) so I have no need to use Tor, VPNs, or proxies.
Oh, even I generally think that Tor is more trouble than it's worth. My keystrokes are all being logged and sent to Microsoft no matter what browser I'm using or how secure my connection is, so I follow the general rule: if you don't want the world to know about it, don't do it on the Internet.
Quote:The UM SA director said it himself. He doesn't want want the event because of perceived Islamophobia, meaning he fears it will be offensive. They voted against to "not offend Muslims".

Your interpretation is faulty. If he doesn't want the event because he fears Islamophobia, he's not talking about not wanting to offend Muslims, he fears it will stir up people to hate Muslims. That's quite different.

Either way, it's a stupid argument. Islamophobes don't need any more fuel.
Quote:Oh, even I generally think that Tor is more trouble than it's worth. My keystrokes are all being logged and sent to Microsoft no matter what browser I'm using or how secure my connection is, so I follow the general rule: if you don't want the world to know about it, don't do it on the Internet.

I learned my lesson long ago. After reading this message board in my cubicle at work for a few minutes. my boss came to me and asked what they were saying on the message board. Unbeknownst to the analysts, the bosses had new software that monitor our web browsing activity.

Quote:I learned my lesson long ago. After reading this message board in my cubicle at work for a few minutes. my boss came to me and asked what they were saying on the message board. Unbeknownst to the analysts, the bosses had new software that monitor our web browsing activity.

The form data you submit is encrypted. He can only tell that you are visiting the site, not what you submit.
Quote:I learned my lesson long ago. After reading this message board in my cubicle at work for a few minutes. my boss came to me and asked what they were saying on the message board. Unbeknownst to the analysts, the bosses had new software that monitor our web browsing activity.
A few months back, I split off of my consulting firm and went to work as an independent contractor.

I have yet to find a reason to regret it.
Quote:The form data you submit is encrypted. He can only tell that you are visiting the site, not what you submit.

This was COJ in the mid-late 90s, the Middle Ages of internet snooping.

Quote:Deport them out of the US now.

You'll have to start with that bum Obama first.