Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Jags Offensive Gameplan vs TEN
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
How do you all see this game playing out?  Statistically, the Titans are pretty good vs the pass and bad vs the run.  A large part of that is due to the fact that they're always behind, so opposing offenses are generally running the clock out.

On the flip side, our offensive strength is obviously the passing game.  With last week's inefficiency in the pass game, and TEN supposed strength in pass defense, would it be better to focus on the run game some this week?  I think that it would, but do we have the necessary pieces?  Our offensive line hasn't proven consistent and Yeldon is most likely out.  Which RB will be the focus on thursday, and onward if Yeldon misses more time?  To what extent will we rely on them, even combined?  Yeldon hasn't been a huge part but it can't be beneficial for the offense to cut even more of the threat of a running game than it already has.

The team showed it can win without BB playing lights out last week. I'd like to see them lean on the run game, to balance the offense and relieve some pressure from BB and the pass game.  Not sure if we have the tools to do so, but I think this would be a good week to find out.

Our secondary is garbage.  Only reason we're decent against the pass is that we get pressure on the QB. 

TN needs to establish our own run and go to the quick hitting pass routes.  Look out for Delanie Walker.

Quote:How do you all see this game playing out?  Statistically, the Titans are pretty good vs the pass and bad vs the run.  A large part of that is due to the fact that they're always behind, so opposing offenses are generally running the clock out.

On the flip side, our offensive strength is obviously the passing game.  With last week's inefficiency in the pass game, and TEN supposed strength in pass defense, would it be better to focus on the run game some this week?  I think that it would, but do we have the necessary pieces?  Our offensive line hasn't proven consistent and Yeldon is most likely out.  Which RB will be the focus on thursday, and onward if Yeldon misses more time?  To what extent will we rely on them, even combined?  Yeldon hasn't been a huge part but it can't be beneficial for the offense to cut even more of the threat of a running game than it already has.

The team showed it can win without BB playing lights out last week. I'd like to see them lean on the run game, to balance the offense and relieve some pressure from BB and the pass game.  Not sure if we have the tools to do so, but I think this would be a good week to find out.
I said in another thread that the Jaguars needed to be more consistent running the football in order to win. 

I still believe that to be true.

But that may not be the case for these two games against Tennessee.

They are down to three (3) healthy CBs and three (3) healthy WRs.  That limits what they can do in obvious passing situations on both sides of the ball.

I think the Jaguars would do well part of the time to go to four and 5 WR sets.  That will/should leave at least one guy who ordinarily doesn't have cover corner skills in a position to cover a WR.

I think the Jaguars would also have an advantage with a 3 WR, 1 TE set with Julius Thomas.

I think we try to establish the run more than we have the rest of the year.  These Thursday games tend to favor the running game.  I think we try to play it close and low scoring and try to limit mistakes.  Just my opinion, so they'll probably come out and throw it 50 times lol.

Quote:I think we try to establish the run more than we have the rest of the year.  These Thursday games tend to favor the running game.  I think we try to play it close and low scoring and try to limit mistakes.  Just my opinion, so they'll probably come out and throw it 50 times lol.

Not going to establish the run if Yeldon is out.
Quote:I said in another thread that the Jaguars needed to be more consistent running the football in order to win. 

I still believe that to be true.

But that may not be the case for these two games against Tennessee.

They are down to three (3) healthy CBs and three (3) healthy WRs.  That limits what they can do in obvious passing situations on both sides of the ball.

I think the Jaguars would do well part of the time to go to four and 5 WR sets.  That will/should leave at least one guy who ordinarily doesn't have cover corner skills in a position to cover a WR.

I think the Jaguars would also have an advantage with a 3 WR, 1 TE set with Julius Thomas.

Interesting that you mention this.  If we spread them out and Denard is the RB I could see him being provided several opportunities this game, both in the run and pass game.  Maybe we can get one or two great games out of him like last year while Yeldon is on the mend.
Quote:Our secondary is garbage.  Only reason we're decent against the pass is that we get pressure on the QB. 

TN needs to establish our own run and go to the quick hitting pass routes.  Look out for Delanie Walker.
Thats the thing that worries me...

Historically, the Jaguars have been horrible covering opposing TEs... I think we need to keep Mariota in check and pressure him like the Jets did to us. Put Mariota in a place where he has to make a difficult decision - especially after his first read.
Quote:<a class="bbc_url" href='https://twitter.com/johnoehser/status/666663326408179712'>https://twitter.com/johnoehser/status/666663326408179712</a>

TJ thinks he will play Thurs.
Quote:Our secondary is garbage. Only reason we're decent against the pass is that we get pressure on the QB.

TN needs to establish our own run and go to the quick hitting pass routes. Look out for Delanie Walker.

No...flip that. Secondary night not be great but House and Colvin are nothing to scoff at. The problem is we have zero pass rush.
^I was speaking for the Titans lol.  MM will be happy if you have no pass rush.

I hope Bortles do the Cam Newton dance to piss off tacks 

Not gonna happen...he's white.

Score points!
Bortles doesn't celebrate anything lol. But the gameplan should be slice and dice the Titans secondary

Run the ball. Playaction.

Rinse repeat

I would like to see a more ball controll offense. The team needs a game where they impose their will. And this is it
Quote:Not going to establish the run if Yeldon is out.
I'm not confident we're capable of 'establishing the run' even if Yeldon isn't out. The offensive linemen are the one's who have to 'establish the run' but that hasn't been our lines strength. We simply have a below average o-line; their better than they were last season, but they still stink. While I know that DRob has handled runs for us last season (and did a much better job than T.G. until injured) he has also had issues in the past with hanging on to the ball. If DRob does start for us, I hope he doesn't cough it up.

I still see us of necessity needing to lean more toward the passing game. The tacks defense really comes after the QB, that's why their defense is highly regarded; so, I think we should rely on the 'quick hitter' aspect of the passing game and attempt prolonged drives to wear out their defense.
respectfully..... The way we play this years seems the opposite of fact. If they are good against the pass we do great against it. If they do great against the run we do good. Do our pass game will probably be legit. I'm hoping our run game can keep up

Quote:I'm not confident we're capable of 'establishing the run' even if Yeldon isn't out. The offensive linemen are the one's who have to 'establish the run' but that hasn't been our lines strength. We simply have a below average o-line; their better than they were last season, but they still stink. While I know that DRob has handled runs for us last season (and did a much better job than T.G. until injured) he has also had issues in the past with hanging on to the ball. If DRob does start for us, I hope he doesn't cough it up.

I still see us of necessity needing to lean more toward the passing game. The tacks defense really comes after the QB, that's why their defense is highly regarded; so, I think we should rely on the 'quick hitter' aspect of the passing game and attempt prolonged drives to wear out their defense.

You're literally never confident, like ever. It's like a black cloud sometimes. Brother you need to start thinking more half full than half empty. 
I think we match up pretty good.
Pages: 1 2