Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Bortles and the pocket
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I thought I'd watch the Ravens game back for a second time and one thing that really hit me was how often Bortles leaves the pocket and rolls left or right before throwing on the move.

Its nothing new of course and often, it appears to have been a pre-planned play (presumably because he is seen as being a good passer while on the move). But there were also times when he seemed a little quick to leave the pocket and I wondered if he might be better staying there a bit longer.

Ok, there are times when out OL or the quality of the opposition make that impossible and some of his great passes have come from him extending the play in this way. But I also noticed that some of his worst mistakes came when he is on the move.

And I might be wrong, but weren't we told at the start of the season that he would try to stay in the pocket more.

Thoughts ?
One of Bortles' huge strengths is avoiding sacks by rolling outside so I really don't care if they do it at a 40/60 rate which is what it looks like atm. Russel Wilson and others have proved you can win superbowls with that style of QB play

He was jittery in the pocket yesterday. Took a step back yesterday.
I agree, that he appeared to see some ghosts yesterday. Seemed to sense pressure when it wasn't there.

Quote:I agree, that he appeared to see some ghosts yesterday. Seemed to sense pressure when it wasn't there.

Do you blame him, the oline was atrocious.
Blake seems to need more time than many to throw the ball.  Is it that the WRs aren't getting open, all the routes in the play are longer to develop, or Blake just isn't a quick decision maker?  I don't know the answer.  But, with the time he takes to throw the ball, the pocket behind the Jag's line collapses too fast to stay there. 

What pocket?

Quote:What pocket?
The same two pockets in your pant. 
Quote:Blake seems to need more time than many to throw the ball.  Is it that the WRs aren't getting open, all the routes in the play are longer to develop, or Blake just isn't a quick decision maker?  I don't know the answer.  But, with the time he takes to throw the ball, the pocket behind the Jag's line collapses too fast to stay there. 

Pretty much. He needs to balance the big plays with being able to quickly identify and accurately deliver on the shorter routes.
I wouldn't go as far as to say he took a step back. If he does that on a consistent bases, yes.. But it was a bad game.. Lets see how he responds Thursday..
No confidence in the O-Line.

Quote:I agree, that he appeared to see some ghosts yesterday. Seemed to sense pressure when it wasn't there.

I had the same impression. I think the six sacks from the Jets game got to him.

This may be due to facing high quality defensive fronts in 5 successive games.  Bucs, Texans, Bills, Jets, Ravens.  They all have deep talented defensive lines.  Linder is gone and Cann is a rookie.  Beadles has been banged up.  Bortles has been running for his life and it's starting to spook him a little.  They need to keep him clean against the Titans.  Need a running game also.  Participation by the TEs would also be nice.

Quote:This may be due to facing high quality defensive fronts in 5 successive games. Bucs, Texans, Bills, Jets, Ravens. They all have deep talented defensive lines. Linder is gone and Cann is a rookie. Beadles has been banged up. Bortles has been running for his life and it's starting to spook him a little. They need to keep him clean against the Titans. Need a running game also. Participation by the TEs would also be nice.

I am interested to see how the offense stacks up these next few weeks against weaker defenses. Tennessee has a good pass defense but a bad run defense. Baltimore, NY, Buffalo all had strong run defenses and weaker secondaries.

Jets shouldn't be a weaker secondary but they had been getting beat through the air pretty badly
Quote:He was jittery in the pocket yesterday. Took a step back yesterday.
He was getting blitzed all day Nancy.
Blake struggles reading coverage. This is evident by his inconsistent timing.

THIS IS NOT A KNOCK. peyton threw 100 interceptions his first five years. Thats not to say blake is peyton its to sau even peyton struggled reading coverage az a young qb and blake is 9 games into this system. Go look at the td over cromartie and youll ser that wheb he makes reads in the pocket and gets the ball out on time it looks special.

Right now hes going to set revords for this franchise because he is a really good football player. When he has more ecperience and more confidence in an improved line he could be special with these recievers.