Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: How in the world did Alan Hurns go undrafted?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
How was it possible for 32 GMs--a lot of smart guys in that group-- to come to the conclusion that Alan Hurns wasn't good enough to be one of the 230-or so players to be selected in the 2014 draft?

Hurns wasn't one of these rookies who needed time to show what he could do. He had an amazing debut game against the Eagles. Remember that game?

Today might not have been his best game statistically, but watching the replay, this guy, who was injured to start with, might have had his finest game as a Jaguar. He took some tremendous hits, right in the teeth of the Ravens' defense, and still caught the ball. If he didn't play today, we lose the game.

A TD catch in seven straight games. Has any Jag done that before? Jimmy Smith? Keenan?

In a season and a half, he's caught 13 TDs, for 1300 yards. I would not be surprised if by the end of the year those numbers go up to 20, and 2000, respectively.

He's one of the best young WRs in the game. Possibly the only ones better were taken seven rounds before he was.

What was the knock on Hurns, coming out of college, that scared off GMs from drafting him?
If I remember correctly foot speed was his biggest knock.

Sorry. It's Allen not Alan.
His draft year was loaded at the WR position...

Measurables wise he was average across the board and he was a one year wonder. And the draft isn't an exact science.
The same way 32 continue to ignore Tim Tebow' s God-given talent.

But seriously, some just slip through the cracks for various reasons. How did Tom Brady nearly go undrafted? And Jamarcus Russell go as a number one pick? Some things don't translate through tests, works, and practice. Some are dropped because they aren't thought to have THE right combination of physical abilities. And some? Some are average players as far as physical assets, and it just clicks when they hit the field.

I think Hurns is a bit of the last two.

And the Tebow reference was a joke...
Quote:The same way 32 continue to ignore Tim Tebow' s God-given talent.

But seriously, some just slip through the cracks for various reasons. How did Tom Brady nearly go undrafted? And Jamarcus Russell go as a number one pick? Some things don't translate through tests, works, and practice. Some are dropped because they aren't thought to have THE right combination of physical abilities. And some? Some are average players as far as physical assets, and it just clicks when they hit the field.

Yea, sometimes being able to play is overlooked by measurements and combine stats.
Quote:The same way 32 continue to ignore Tim Tebow' s God-given talent.

Lol I see what you did thar! 
The only positive that came from having Fisch here. 

Quote:The only positive that came from having Fisch here.

That's true. Fisch gets credit for it.
Because when you look at his measurables and stats at Miami, in a draft class full of WRs, he got lost in translation.  GMs miss all the time.

What is difficult to measure is heart.  Hurns plays with passion, he plays with full effort, he's a tough son of a [BLEEP].  You can see it in him when he plays.  The kid is one of my favorite Jaguars and I hope he ends up in black and teal for a long long time.

I'm just glad to finally hit on one of these undrafted guys. It seems like every year some team uncovers an undrafted stud like Arian Foster, James Harrison, Tony Romo, or an Antonio Gates. Its about time we get one.
Quote:I'm just glad to finally hit on one of these undrafted guys. It seems like every year some team uncovers an undrafted stud like Arian Foster, James Harrison, Tony Romo, or an Antonio Gates. Its about time we get one.
Yes.

This, all the way.

Finally.....
Allen "Touchdown" Hurns!

He is freaking awesome!

Allen Hurns is tough, talented, smart, and passionate. Love Hurns
He is a guy of high character.. look how he came to play when most wouldve sat out this game (cough - Lee) and got a TD!