Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Underrated TV
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Watching "Bored to Death" again on HBO. Great show, but not well known to the best of my knowledge.

Anyone know if any underrated shows?
It's an older one (2002), but Firefly was an awesome show. It only lasted 14 episodes. I didn't even know about it until a few years later and bought the DVD set and the Serenity movie. The fans made such a ruckus about it being cancelled and leaving everyone hanging that the studio agreed to make Serenity to tie up the storylines. Both are on Netflix.

Generation Kill was a really good miniseries HBO put out back in 2008. It's based on the book Rolling Stone magazine writer Evan Wright wrote while embedded with the 1st Recon Marines who spearheaded the push into Iraq in 2003. I've got it on DVD as well. It's now on Amazon and free for Prime members.

Orphan Black is kind of a weird show but Mr Americus and I really like it. The lead actress is phenomenal in that she plays several completely different characters and does so quite convincingly. 

I loved "Freaks and Geeks" back from 1999-2000. Only lasted 1 season but had a ton of future stars. Kind of has a cult following amongst hipsters now though.

I dont think "The Wire" ever really got its due, phenomenal show but im surprised how few people know about it.
'Happy Endings' was one of the funniest and wittiest shows in TV history. Unfortunately it never caught on and it was too quick-witted for middle America to ever catch on. If you guys ever get a chance to watch on Netflix or Hulu, I highly recommend it.
A great recent show is called The 100. I think the target audience, young adults, is the downside. But the action, and plot twists along with pretty decent Sci fi effects make it an absolute must watch. It has 2 seasons kn netflix and I definitely recommend it as your next binge watch because you will get hooked.
I liked Bored to Death a lot. There was a show a few years ago with Matthew Perry called Go On that I thought was good but was cancelled after it's first season.

One that is one of my favorite shows since I was a kid was The Critic. Supremely underrated.

Also The Ben Stiller Show on Fox. It was not on long but was hilarious. And aside from Stiller, featuring Bob Odenkirk and David Cross.

How The States Got Their Shapes is a great documentary type show for American history buffs.

Quote:I liked Bored to Death a lot. There was a show a few years ago with Matthew Perry called Go On that I thought was good but was cancelled after it's first season.

One that is one of my favorite shows since I was a kid was The Critic. Supremely underrated.

Also The Ben Stiller Show on Fox. It was not on long but was hilarious. And aside from Stiller, featuring Bob Odenkirk and David Cross.

In the latter part of your post, are you referring to Mr. Show on HBO? Loved that show!
Quote:I loved "Freaks and Geeks" back from 1999-2000. Only lasted 1 season but had a ton of future stars. Kind of has a cult following amongst hipsters now though.

I dont think "The Wire" ever really got its due, phenomenal show but im surprised how few people know about it.

I loved The Wire... funnily enough, it's more popular over here now than when it was originally on..
Quote:I loved The Wire... funnily enough, it's more popular over here now than when it was originally on..

I believe a few Brits starred in The Wire.
Quote:I loved "Freaks and Geeks" back from 1999-2000. Only lasted 1 season but had a ton of future stars. Kind of has a cult following amongst hipsters now though.

I don't think The Wire got its due either. I've never seen it, but I have always wanted to and I only hear good things about it.

A show that I personally think is very underrated, but I'm not sure if it really is, is The Killing. It was an AMC show that was canceled after two seasons, brought back for a third, canceled again after the third, and then finally brought back for a final season. It's a very gloomy atmosphere detective mystery show with great acting and plenty of cliffhangers and twists. The whole thing is on Netflix now.
Quote:I don't think The Wire got its due either. I've never seen it, but I have always wanted to and I only hear good things about it.

A show that I personally think is very underrated, but I'm not sure if it really is, is The Killing. It was an AMC show that was canceled after two seasons, brought back for a third, canceled again after the third, and then finally brought back for a final season. It's a very gloomy atmosphere detective mystery show with great acting and plenty of cliffhangers and twists. The whole thing is on Netflix now.
The Killing was awesome. I was glad Netflix took it after it was cancelled on AMC. The only downside with Netflix was the language. I can handle some foul language but Netflix really amped it up and it was distracting. If it had always been there it would have been different. 

Longmire is another good show. It got cancelled and Netflix picked it up for the 4th season and already renewed for a 5th. 
The Office

I'm rewatching the early seasons of American Horror Story.. Good stuff..
Quote:I believe a few Brits starred in The Wire.

Idris Elba being the most notable I think..

Quote:The Office

The UK version is so funny... I love the US version too, incidently, Idris Elba was also in that!
Quote:Idris Elba being the most notable I think..

And Dominic West.
Quote:The UK version is so funny... I love the US version too, incidently, Idris Elba was also in that!

Ricky Gervais was so good in the original version.

Quote:And Dominic West.

Of course!

Quote:Ricky Gervais was so good in the original version.
Absolutely, I was lucky enough to see him do stand up comedy a few times before he, seemingly, stopped doing that for directing..

There are a lot of Brits on American TV, I'm currently watching Sons Of Anarchy which has a Brit in one of the lead roles (Charlie Hunnam).
Cane. A really good one that lasted two seasons. Should have been a lot more.

Quote:Of course!

Absolutely, I was lucky enough to see him do stand up comedy a few times before he, seemingly, stopped doing that for directing..

There are a lot of Brits on American TV, I'm currently watching Sons Of Anarchy which has a Brit in one of the lead roles (Charlie Hunnam).

Andrew Lincoln and David Morrrissey of The Walking Dead are Brits, and Lauren Cohan's mother is British.

There is something about British actors effectively mimicking accents from the American south. Lauren Cohan is especially convincing.

Pages: 1 2 3 4