Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: If Bortles didn't play last year what would we think of him this year?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Pretend Bortles didn't play his rookie season like the organization wanted and this second year has been his first 8 games. What would you think of him?

I'd think wow if this guy didn't turn the ball over at an alarming rate he'd be pretty good.
Would he be this good if he didn't get game experience last year like the apologist were wanting?
If he didn't play last year, he wouldn't be as good as he is this year. The speed of the game; he's adjusting to. In college, Bortles got better all 3 years he played. He's doing the same in the pros.

I'd think that he was a promising young passer with a lot of kinks left to work out. You know, basically what I think of him anyway.

Quote:I'd think wow if this guy didn't turn the ball over at an alarming rate he'd be pretty good.

It's not really an alarming rate for me.  Yeah, he's on pace for a lot of turnovers.  That's bad.

He's a 23 year old 2nd year QB playing with spotty pass protection and a nearly non-existent running game.

If even one of those two things improve, I think we'll see Blake turnover the less.  Especially the pass protection.  He has some pocket awareness issues himself (not unheard of for a 2nd year QB, one that is as raw as Blake was coming out) that need to be corrected but given how much he has improved from year one to year two, that doesn't worry me.

If Blake wasn't pressured so much, I almost guarantee you that he wouldn't have so many turnovers.  He is currently carrying this offense on his shoulders along with ARob and Hurns.  
I take a minority view here.  Caldwell drafted Bortles with the intention of sitting him for a year. I still think that would have been the right move. He got into a lot of bad habits regarding his mechanics, that were very hard to break.  It's also been reported that his arm turned into a noodle late in the season, because he was throwing so much in the off season.

I still think Bortles is going to be a great QB--because I expect his rate of improvement to continue. 

If a tree fell in the woods, killing an albino tiger, and no one heard it - would Blake have bitten off his own tongue taking a sack?
Quote:I'd think that he was a promising young passer with a lot of kinks left to work out. You know, basically what I think of him anyway.

This.
Moot point because he did play last year.

I'd probably be really pleased to have QB who can bring much needed excitement to the team.

I'd probably also be thinking, "he'll probably cut out a lot of those rookie mistakes in his second season."
Quote:I'd think wow if this guy didn't turn the ball over at an alarming rate he'd be pretty good.

He's forced to throw the ball 50 times/game because we can't run the ball, that's a lot to ask of any QB but especially a 23 year old who was deemed as "raw" coming out of UCF don't ya think? Some of guys aren't rational, at all.
better question for the geniuses that wanted him to sit all last year:  do you think he would be as good as he is now if his first start was week 1, 2015?

Quote:If he didn't play last year, he wouldn't be as good as he is this year. The speed of the game; he's adjusting to. In college, Bortles got better all 3 years he played. He's doing the same in the pros.

So by year 8 he should be throwing 30 TDS by November

Without having played last year, I don't think he would have been as good as he's been this year, i.e.,  him not discovering his weaknesses and spending his off-season correcting things like bad mechanics, etc.

He has been very solid with some horrible mistakes but I still dont put all the blame on him as he still needs help from his Oline and running game. Plus it would be nice to see Thomas or some TE's step up too.

Anyways, I think he needed the playing time last year, I feel they need to have actual game time to get into the real mindset.

Experience is good for the soul

Quote:It's not really an alarming rate for me. Yeah, he's on pace for a lot of turnovers. That's bad.

He's a 23 year old 2nd year QB playing with spotty pass protection and a nearly non-existent running game.

If even one of those two things improve, I think we'll see Blake turnover the less. Especially the pass protection. He has some pocket awareness issues himself (not unheard of for a 2nd year QB, one that is as raw as Blake was coming out) that need to be corrected but given how much he has improved from year one to year two, that doesn't worry me.

If Blake wasn't pressured so much, I almost guarantee you that he wouldn't have so many turnovers. He is currently carrying this offense on his shoulders along with ARob and Hurns.
For me he's asked to do too much. The coaching staff and Blakes stubbornness is an issue here. The fact is that you can make a make shift run game and utilize the tight end position. Both of which are incredibly under utilized. People will look at the aliens stas and say Blake is lighting it up. And sure is but to a fault. If he relied on some shorter passes and maybe get some yac at the same time minimizing the pass rush then go over top like he does, then watch the hell out. But nah coaches and Blake just chuck away.
Quote:For me he's asked to do too much. The coaching staff and Blakes stubbornness is an issue here. The fact is that you can make a make shift run game and utilize the tight end position. Both of which are incredibly under utilized. People will look at the aliens stas and say Blake is lighting it up. And sure is but to a fault. If he relied on some shorter passes and maybe get some yac at the same time minimizing the pass rush then go over top like he does, then watch the hell out. But nah coaches and Blake just chuck away.
I would take a 16/25 230 yards 25 touchdowns-12 picks all day long if they could mix in a few screens and drags here and there. Don't get me wrong, I love the big numbers but has to be a middle ground.
Quote:better question for the geniuses that wanted him to sit all last year: do you think he would be as good as he is now if his first start was week 1, 2015?

No he wouldn't. The playing last year has helped him out.
Pages: 1 2