Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Presidential Candidates Can't Have Enough Adversity
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/com...adversity/

This is a really good article that gives a good explanation of why Ben Carson insists he tried to stab someone when he was young, Bill Clinton campaigned on "I was raised by a single mom in a small town called Hope," Marco Rubio wants everyone to know his father was a bartender and his mother was a maid, and so forth.  

===================================================

"There was once a time when having clawed your way up from nothing was the sort of thing you tried to hide in politics.

"Your rags-to-riches story was a liability. Overcoming adversity was the sign that you were No True Gentleman. Take Alexander Hamilton, whose political enemies did not hesitate to use his background as a [BAD WORD REMOVED] (orphan son of a whore and a Scotsman dropped in a forgotten spot in the Caribbean by providence impoverished in squalor … ahem, sorry, please continue) against him.

"No longer. These days, candidates would kill for a backstory like his."

====================================================

Not to pick on Carson, but it is kind of funny that the MSM is investigating whether he is telling the truth about trying to stab someone and whether he attacked someone with a hammer.   So far, all they can find out is that everyone says he was a nice young man, but he's having none of it.   No, no, he insists, he was a terrible person.  

It's the modern version of being born in a log cabin.  

Poor Donald Trump.  He was born rich, and for some people that's a mark against him. 
Politics is theater, the metastory is all.
I have got to say, the biased of the left might be the most adaptive force that we have seen in politics.  Ben Carson is Black and soft spoken.  He gets criticized for being SAFE FOR WHITE PEOPLE.  He shares stories from his past that are somewhat troubled and he must be making it up for street cred.  This is patently ridiculous.  

The man was dirt poor.  That's a fact.  If you want to bring me something saying that in reality he was living with upper middle class white Grandparents like some presidents, then we can have a conversation.  The proven verifiable facts of the mans life are on there own remarkable.  This idea that he's just making things up (that 90% of republican voters hadn't heard of until the media brought it up to criticize him) to look more favorable is asinine.  The idea that his candidacy and appeal was based on these two anecdotes is the kind of reality distortion field that would allow people to swallow the idea that a couple of random protesters could overwhelm a foreign embassy and kill an ambassador.  

Just as an aside, we knew at the time that Barrack Obama launched his political career in the home of an unrepentant admitted domestic terrorist.  Where was the MSM tirelessly tracking down the facts of that relationship.   

My father is a college graduate, never been in jail, and has never been in trouble with the law.  Anyone who knew him would never know that there were several altercations with family members that got violent when he and his other orphaned siblings went to live with relatives.  This is the definition of INVENTING an issue.  Truth be told, I'm not a Carson Supporter in this primary, but as a conservative i can tell you that we are so tired of the Media going into a feeding frenzy any time someone brown or female leaves the plantation that this whole thing is only going to galvanize his support in the republican electorate.  

ANYONE who thinks that Hilary Clinton  (She was named after sir Edmond Hilary before he climbed mount everest and before anyone had heard of him don't ou know) could  survive a character debate with Ben Carson then you go right ahead.  

People getting really touchy over Carson criticism. If you want to vote for someone who is in willfull denial of reality by all means be that person. That's your right. Acting surprised and feigning shock because a person in your party is called on his utter nonsense is silly.
The fairy tales that politicians have to tell are nauseating.

Quote:People getting really touchy over Carson criticism. If you want to vote for someone who is in willfull denial of reality by all means be that person. That's your right. Acting surprised and feigning shock because a person in your party is called on his utter nonsense is silly.
He's being called on this "utter nonsense", and in each instance, the media outlets who are suddenly determined to actually vet a presidential candidate (something that would have been nice to see, oh, say 8 years ago) are having their attacks blow up in their face as each story they try to debunk is backed up by facts, or in the case of the "full scholarship" story, the media is being caught in their own lie.  Nothing Carson has documented as being part of his personal resume would be considered utter nonsense by most.  But, liberals are so ingrained with hatred for anyone who doesn't share their world view that I'm not surprised by your response. 

Quote:He's being called on this "utter nonsense", and in each instance, the media outlets who are suddenly determined to actually vet a presidential candidate (something that would have been nice to see, oh, say 8 years ago) are having their attacks blow up in their face as each story they try to debunk is backed up by facts, or in the case of the "full scholarship" story, the media is being caught in their own lie. Nothing Carson has documented as being part of his personal resume would be considered utter nonsense by most. But, liberals are so ingrained with hatred for anyone who doesn't share their world view that I'm not surprised by your response.
Yup we are so igrained with hatred we think the pyramids wernt built less then 6000 years (edit: merged two thigs into one sentance. Corrected by Dr below) ago as grain silos.

Though as someone who makes fun of veterans and people with PTSD you would be the expert on hatred.
The Pyramids were constructed about 4000 years ago.  But they stored dead Pharaohs instead of grain.

Quote:The Pyramids were constructed about 4000 years ago. But they stored dead Pharaohs instead of grain.

Two unrelated thoughts put together as one incorrectly. Thanks for the correction.
Quote:The Pyramids were constructed about 4000 years ago.  But they stored dead Pharaohs instead of grain.
He posited a theory on the pyramids. A personal opinion.  Does that make him unqualified to be the president?  Because we've got a guy in the Oval Office who currently who has claimed to be the member of a church that has far more radical views that were never vetted. 

Quote:Yup we are so igrained with hatred we think the pyramids wernt built less then 6000 years (edit: merged two thigs into one sentance. Corrected by Dr below) ago as grain silos.

Though as someone who makes fun of veterans and people with PTSD you would be the expert on hatred.

Swing and a miss, sweetheart.  Nothing like twisting facts to make a point.  It's in the lib playbook.

As far as his opinions on pyramids, who cares?  This is how deeply you libs have to dig to find someone to take out any threat to your beloved Bernhillary fiasco.  I get it.  With candidates as horribad as those two nitwits, you have no choice but to rip down someone as accomplished as Carson. 

For the record, I'm not a Carson supporter.  I just think the efforts to destroy him by lib hacks is pathetic, and the fact that you're buying into it shows how easily you sheep are nudged along the path.
Quote:He posited a theory on the pyramids. A personal opinion. Does that make him unqualified to be the president? Because we've got a guy in the Oval Office who currently who has claimed to be the member of a church that has far more radical views that were never vetted.

Swing and a miss, sweetheart. Nothing like twisting facts to make a point. It's in the lib playbook.

As far as his opinions on pyramids, who cares? This is how deeply you libs have to dig to find someone to take out any threat to your beloved Bernhillary fiasco. I get it. With candidates as horribad as those two nitwits, you have no choice but to rip down someone as accomplished as Carson.

For the record, I'm not a Carson supporter. I just think the efforts to destroy him by lib hacks is pathetic, and the fact that you're buying into it shows how easily you sheep are nudged along the path.
Really? You didn't see where I posted the link debunking this? Or where I said this is a non issue? I know the extent of your contribution is attempting to be the high school bully and calling people names but please, at least read.

What facts are being twisted? The carson comment on pyramids or the one about you getting trashed by people on here for your veteran and PTSD comments and then running away like the bully does?
Quote:Politics is theater, the metastory is all.

You're correct. In a sick way it's entertainment.
Quote:He posited a theory on the pyramids. A personal opinion.  Does that make him unqualified to be the president?

It raises the question, if he clings to his beliefs in spite of all the evidence refuting those beliefs, then what will happen when he's President and he comes up with some plan of action that all his advisers tell him is foolhardy.   Will he go ahead anyway?   Will he reject the facts and evidence and advice that is brought to him by his advisers that doesn't fit his preconceived beliefs?   The man still thinks the pyramids were built to be grain silos.   He doesn't appear to be interested in the overwhelming evidence that they were not grain silos.  

He's new.  We don't know him very well at all.   We're just trying to figure out how he thinks.   This is just one small facet that need to be examined. 

Your reaction to this question is kind of ridiculous.  The man is running for President of the United States.   Don't you think we ought to ask a few questions about him?  
Vast.. Right wing... Conspiracy!