Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: This Jets game is a must win game
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
If we win we're tied for first place (even though Indy holds a half game over us.....sigh...Myers) anyway!

But first place in the overall standings. Now hear me out

@ 2-6 would mean we lose the fan base and the season is all but over. Since this isn't 1996 and this team would not win 5 straight games, and Morton Anderson won't be missing any kicks.

@ 3-5 We are still in this thing! Indy is struggling to win games right now. If we had a kicker, then we would be 4-4 .....sigh.....myers...

But we would keep the fan base for another couple of weeks and we could start making some noise on a national level if we can knock the Colts and Texans off later in the season.

This isn't a must win for Bradley and his job, this is a must win to stay relevant and right in the thick of it.

What the heck I'm predicting a WIN

JAGS - 38

JETS - 33
Jaguars 28, Jets 25

Every game is a must win. I hate this saying. For any sport. The whole point of competitive sports is to win as much as humanly possible until you're hoisting that respective sport's championship trophy or title.

Wouldn't it be more efficient for us to hope for other teams to utterly fail and experience implosions on a grand scale rather than hope for the Jags to actually defeat a good team? So far, that seems to be the 'winning ticket' for the Jags this season... even though with at least one team doing all in their power to all but hand us a win (colts) we still found a way to 'snatch defeat from the jaws of victory'; that being so, no one should view any game we play with anyone who can field a team as being a 'probable' win.

I had hoped for at least a 6-10 season this year... I've now revised that to anticipating no better than another 4-12 season. Bill Parcells said that 'you are what your record says you are'. I agree with Bill. I will be happy if the Jags prove me wrong and exceed my expectations and we actually reach the grand record of 6-10 this year.... but I ain't 'a hold'en my breath for it.

Quote:Wouldn't it be more efficient for us to hope for other teams to utterly fail and experience implosions on a grand scale rather than hope for the Jags to actually defeat a good team? So far, that seems to be the 'winning ticket' for the Jags this season... even though with at least one team doing all in their power to all but hand us a win (colts) we still found a way to 'snatch defeat from the jaws of victory'; that being so, no one should view any game we play with anyone who can field a team as being a 'probable' win.

I had hoped for at least a 6-10 season this year... I've now revised that to anticipating no better than another 4-12 season. Bill Parcells said that 'you are what your record says you are'. I agree with Bill. I will be happy if the Jags prove me wrong and exceed my expectations and we actually reach the grand record of 6-10 this year.... but I ain't 'a hold'en my breath for it.

If we can steal one against the Jets, we're sitting at 3-5....right in the hunt.
The Texans game was a must win. So was Tampa.

Quote:The Texans game was a must win. So was Tampa.
Those were "shoulda" won games.
Atleast we are in position to call certain games 'should wins' or 'must wins'. Couldn't do that the last 3 seasons.

I don't expect a win against the Jets because we don't match up favorably, but I didn't think we'd beat Buffalo or Miami either. Go jags!
Quote:If we win we're tied for first place (even though Indy holds a half game over us.....sigh...Myers) anyway!

But first place in the overall standings. Now hear me out

@ 2-6 would mean we lose the fan base and the season is all but over. Since this isn't 1996 and this team would not win 5 straight games, and Morton Anderson won't be missing any kicks.

@ 3-5 We are still in this thing! Indy is struggling to win games right now. If we had a kicker, then we would be 4-4 .....sigh.....myers...

But we would keep the fan base for another couple of weeks and we could start making some noise on a national level if we can knock the Colts and Texans off later in the season.

This isn't a must win for Bradley and his job, this is a must win to stay relevant and right in the thick of it.

What the heck I'm predicting a WIN

JAGS - 38

JETS - 33

I think the Jets also think of this games as a must win for them as well. You see the Jaguars scoring 38 on that defense? Good luck with that.

I know the NFL is a week to week deal, but I have to think last week was an aberration regarding the Jets. They're at home and will want to atone for last week. If the Jags win it will be a remarkable upset. I'm hoping. If it happens I image a score closer to 17-13.

Does anyone know the current line on this game? 
I think the past 4 games have been labeled"must win" by many, including Fred Taylor. Lets not call this a "must win" and just win?

The odd thing is, at the end of last season all we wanted was to be more competitive and be 'in it' in November. Well, that's what we've gotten.

As of this moment, we have been competitive in all but 1 game, and have relevance for the post season in November. There is every indication that we could win this game, but that's been the story of 4 of our 5 losses. So, cushioning the blow for a loss on Sunday, we've already gotten what we wanted at the end of last season.

Yes, this game is a must win for the season, but understand, it would take a miracle to win it. It would take our juvenile defense to stop committing unforced errors, for our developing young QB to not throw a pick 6 at his favorite target defended by Darrelle [BLEEP] Revis, for Luke Joeckel to play a flawless game, for JT to step it up and play effectively, for our red zone scheme to actually work against a real opponent, for Gus to make smart decisions and manage the clock efficiently. It would take Myers making multiple FGs. It would take the whole team to play a consistent 60 minutes on both sides of the ball. If that all happened it would be an unprecedented game in the history of this rebuild, and it would indeed make us the best looking team in the AFC South. I'm not betting on all that happening, but the feeling we have right now, where just maybe it could, where we could continue to improve and make it to the playoffs after waiting for so long, that's what we've wanted, and for now, we've already gotten it.

It is not a 'must win' game.  Every game in the NFL counts, and is a relevant game though.

It would be nice. Much more likely to win the other ones. Would be a great confidence booster for everyone.
Quote:The Texans game was a must win. So was Tampa.

Exactly, same with the clots game.  Those were all must win games.  

Let's define "must win".  A must win game is one in which it is crucial to achieve the final goal of a team.  If the final goal of the team is to make the playoffs, the clot, tin horn, and buc game were indeed must wins.  We lost those games, we should be out of this playoff talk, but we are extremely lucky this year.

Now, when we consider that the three games I mentioned were not only Must Win games, they were also "should win" games, it makes the chances for our team to win the division even more daunting.

A "should win" game is defined as one in which the talent level on one team is better than the talent level on the other team.  Should win games usually assume the coaching level is even.  I think this is something most guys forget.  Our talent is high enough to where we have had alot of should win games, except for the fact that we are hobbled by a head coach that is probably among the 3 worst NFL coaches in the league.  

To me, this Jets game is a Must win.  It's also a game in which our offense is head and shoulders above the Jet's offense.  We have better weapons and I think our O-Line is similar to theirs.  Our WRs as a whole are better than theirs.  Marshall is great, but he's the only one.  We have 2 very good/great WRs with Walters and JT80.  Our RB is just as good as theirs.  Their starting Center is injured, so I give our O-Line a push against theirs.

This game is a must win, it's also a game where we CAN win.  Should win?  Maybe?  But can win.  

A can win game is one in which we are matched up very well and have the ability to win, if our coaches can prepare a game plan that allows us to be in the best position to be successful.  

Can Bradley get us there?  That's the question.

I hate Bradley.  I think he's the worst coach in the league.  But, if he's gonna prove me wrong--This is the game to do it.  He had a whole week to take in everything about the Jets and figure out a plan to take them down.  In addition to that, the Jets are not superior to the Jaguars in terms of talent.  Our QB is better.  We have a stronger WR corps.  Our RB is at the same level as theirs.  Our O-Line is on par with theirs.  I think House can contain Marshal.  I think our LBs can contain their running game...  I think if we blitz, we can shut down drives on 3rd and long...  

But the question is this:  Will Bradley play aggressive?  Will Bradley play as though this is a MUST WIN/CAN WIN type of game.  Or will he just come into this game as he normally does?  Will he come in thinking, we're just here to compete and get better every day?

If he comes in with that loser mentality, we're not winning this game, even though it's must win game that we can win.

I don't have a great feeling about this game. They have a very good defense. We have a very bad one.

Before the season started I said I would be happy if we weren't basically done by week 5. Well, I got what I asked for, I just didn't think it meant we would still be in it because the division is sooooo weak. Beggars cant be choosers, ill take it anyway.

Blake > Geno

Jags win 24-23

Quote:I don't have a great feeling about this game. They have a very good defense. We have a very bad one.

It feels like hopeful disappointment. I'm being sucked back in again. Ryan Fitzpatrick has been good enough this year to give their defense a chance each week to win. He has thrown 7 ints. I think with a banged up Marshall our focus should be on stopping the run forcing Fitzpatrick to throw and make a mistake. Marshall and Decker have been really good combo and will be a challenge for our secondary, but both are banged up right now. I think we have enough weapons on offense to not force the ball to Arob. That is my biggest concern. Lets go into this game with the mindset of throwing to the open guy. And let's play to win regardless of we have the lead or not. Play 60 minutes and don't take your foot off the gas.
Quote:Blake > Geno

Jags win 24-23

Ryan F is starting, bad thumb and all, last I heard.
Quote:I don't have a great feeling about this game. They have a very good defense. We have a very bad one.

I don't think I ever have a great feeling about any game.
Pages: 1 2 3