Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: (BigCatCountry) How the AFC South was won (at 6-10)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2015/10/27/...th-at-6-10

I'm sure that some of you have read this already, but I'm not sure if it's been posted on here yet.

So would you buy a t-shirt that read: 2015 AFC South Division Champions (6-10)? Just imagine the uproar that this would cause throughout the league among 9-7 and 10-6 teams who didn't make it. It would effectively end the division system.

I read some funny comments about the possibility of winning with ties on there which said: 

"personally i prefer us tying just enough so the division winner is like 5-10-1."

"

AFC South just ties all remaining division games.

Just to spite all of their fans."

"Jaguars at 3-8-5

Colts 3-10-3
Texans 3-10-3
Titans 1-10-5."

"

That would an interesting approach to a game lmao.
<div>
We didn’t come here to lose boys…. or to win for that matter! Let’s tie these sumbitches."

"but think about that, the winning team in the division only has 3 wins, ppl would explode."

ROFL.

</div>

If we go 6-10 and win the division we will wreck anyone we see in the playoffs.

Quote: 

http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2015/10/27/...th-at-6-10

I'm sure that some of you have read this already, but I'm not sure if it's been posted on here yet.

So would you buy a t-shirt that read: 2015 AFC South Division Champions (6-10)? Just imagine the uproar that this would cause throughout the league among 9-7 and 10-6 teams who didn't make it. It would effectively end the division system.

I read some funny comments about the possibility of winning with ties on there which said: 

"personally i prefer us tying just enough so the division winner is like 5-10-1."

"

AFC South just ties all remaining division games.
<div style="font-size:13px;color:rgb(41,41,41);font-family:'Gotham Narrow SSm A', 'Gotham Narrow SSm B', Arial, sans-serif;">
Just to spite all of their fans."

"Jaguars at 3-8-5

Colts 3-10-3
Texans 3-10-3
Titans 1-10-5."

"

That would an interesting approach to a game [BAD WORD REMOVED].
<div>
We didn’t come here to lose boys…. or to win for that matter! Let’s tie these sumbitches."

"but think about that, the winning team in the division only has 3 wins, ppl would explode."

ROFL.

</div>

</div>
LOL.....I wonder what that would do to the draft order.

The division winner would pick 21st at the earliest.
I'd wear that 6-10 shirt proudly!
I'd buy a t shirt just because I know how mad it would make every other teams fans that live in the city of Jacksonville.  Heck, even Jaguar fans would sit there and start arguing with me about how we don't deserve.  I would just laugh.

What are the chances that the afc south winner visits the Bengals in the playoffs and pulls off an upset?
Quote:I'd buy a t shirt just because I know how mad it would make every other teams fans that live in the city of Jacksonville.  Heck, even Jaguar fans would sit there and start arguing with me about how we don't deserve.  I would just laugh.
I would find it hilarious too, until the sobering realization would hit me that the reactionary element in the FL office would push for some sort of change to the playoff system making the game I grew to love even more unrecognizable.
A 6-10 team won't win a division.  I'd bet money on that.  7-9?  Highly probable.

Even if the AFCS produces a 6-10 division winner this year, the playoff reseeding argument isn't a strong one and it's been debated here before.  Though I can see the media and fans of other wildcard teams being all over the story again like the OP suggests.

If a division winner doesn't automatically get a home playoff game, then you are further rewarding whatever divisions that get granted a weak schedule by getting to play the weakest division in a given year because those divisions are more likely to produce a wildcard team(s).  And this change would happen EVERY year going forward all to avoid the anomaly of a 6-10 or 7-9 division winner.  You shouldn't make changes that have such a big impact like that just to avoid anomalies.  A team with a losing record winning the division has only happened twice in league history: the 7-9 Seahawks of 2010 and the 7-8-1 Panthers last year.  A playoff reseeding would also lessen the importance of division games.  That's not a good thing.

Zero. Division winners always play their first playoff game at home. Since drafting Andy Dalton the Bengals have always been one and done in the playoffs.

Quote:What are the chances that the afc south winner visits the Bengals in the playoffs and pulls off an upset?

You're getting ahead of yourself.  The AFC division winner would host a home playoff game and have to win first.  If the Bengals win their division they'd host a home game on wildcard weekend or possibly get a bye.  Either way, the AFCS winner will have to get out of wildcard weekend first before potentially facing a division winning Bengals team.  That's going to be a tall order for whoever wins the AFCS to get out of wildcard weekend still alive.
Quote:Since drafting Andy Dalton the Bengals have always been one and done in the playoffs.

Actually, since drafting both Andy Dalton and Carson Palmer the Bengals have always been one and done in the playoffs.

Really, I think a huge part of that problem is a coaching (Marvin Lewis) issue.

Marvin Lewis playoffs:

0-6 Overall

0-3 at Home (2 of those losses with Palmer)

0-3 Away (all against AFCS opponents)
Quote:You're getting ahead of yourself.  The AFC division winner would host a home playoff game and have to win first.  If the Bengals win their division they'd host a home game on wildcard weekend or possibly get a bye.  Either way, the AFCS winner will have to get out of wildcard weekend first before potentially facing a division winning Bengals team.  That's going to be a tall order for whoever wins the AFCS to get out of wildcard weekend still alive.

I'm thinking the idea behind the OP is that the Bengals fail to win their division and instead win the first wildcard which would put them on the road at the division winner of the AFC S for the first game.

Quote:What are the chances that the afc south winner visits the Bengals in the playoffs and pulls off an upset?
The Jags would host the game.

Anyway, would you really want to face the Bengals instead of any other team?

In the fans/media's perception,, it would almost be a "no-win" scenario for either team if they were victorious.

Option 1 - Jags win:

Perception

"Yeah, they won because Dalton can't win a playoff game."

Option 2 - Bengals win:

Perception

"Dalton finally won a playoff game. But that really doesn't count,, it was just the Jags."

Lol!!! After just thinking about it,, that would be awesome. The Jags would legitimately have a shot of advancing to the next round because of Dalton/Lewis choking.

Or,, do they want to be the team that Dalton/Lewis finally get a playoff win over?

I can see it now: "Dalton/Lewis couldn't beat any team in the playoffs except the Jags."

All kidding aside,, getting to play any playoff game would be terrific for the team and fans!
Quote:I'm thinking the idea behind the OP is that the Bengals fail to win their division and instead win the first wildcard which would put them on the road at the division winner of the AFC S for the first game.

It's still very possible the Bengals don't win the AFCN and are a WC team. PITT's not out of it yet, and they get Ben back.

Cincy has some VERY tough opponents left this season (not listed in scheduling order):

@ Pitt

vs Pitt

@ Denver

@ Arizona

vs STL

That's 5 tough games right there. Not to mention, they have 3 primetime games in addition to those 5. Cincy has been a real dud on primetime except for the one game last season against Denver.

Cincy will be in the playoffs though. They can finish the schedule going 4-6, and still end up with 10-6 record. They're in.
It doesn't matter how you find the pot of gold. All that matters is you beat the leprechauns.
Quote:A team with a losing record winning the division has only happened twice in league history: the 7-9 Seahawks of 2010 and the 7-8-1 Panthers last year. A playoff reseeding would also lessen the importance of division games. That's not a good thing.

Yup. It's only happened twice in history. It's about to become 3 times (most likely anyway) this season.

So, that's 3 times in the past 6 seasons. It is becoming frequent. Idk what is causing this to happen now (parity,, salary,, ownership?). Really, I have no idea why it's occuring.

But, the fact is that it is occuring now,, with regular frequency. I'd say 2 seasons in a row, and 3 of 6 seasons is definitely frequent.

If it continues,, there will likely be some type of reseeding change to the playoffs. I seriously doubt they'd do away with divisions. I doubt they'd do away with division winners automatically qualifying. But I could definitely see them reseeding to where a team with a losing record in the playoffs has to go on the road. A change of that sort could happen.

If this "trend" doesn't continue the next few years, there will be nothing to worry about.
Quote:Yup. It's only happened twice in history. It's about to become 3 times (most likely anyway) this season.

So, that's 3 times in the past 6 seasons. It is becoming frequent. Idk what is causing this to happen now (parity,, salary,, ownership?). Really, I have no idea why it's occuring.

But, the fact is that it is occuring now,, with regular frequency. I'd say 2 seasons in a row, and 3 of 6 seasons is definitely frequent.

If it continues,, there will likely be some type of reseeding change to the playoffs. I seriously doubt they'd do away with divisions. I doubt they'd do away with division winners automatically qualifying. But I could definitely see them reseeding to where a team with a losing record in the playoffs has to go on the road. A change of that sort could happen.

If this "trend" doesn't continue the next few years, there will be nothing to worry about.

I think keeping entry to the playoffs the same makes the most sense, and then seed home/away based on record.

If you win your division at 7-9 you're in, but if the wild card is 9-7 then you go to them.
I find it funny if somehow/someway the Division is won at 6-10 and they go all the way to win the Super bowl they'd be world Champs with a .500 record (10-10). Crazy
Quote:I find it funny if somehow/someway the Division is won at 6-10 and they go all the way to win the Super bowl they'd be world Champs with a .500 record (10-10). Crazy

I really hope they don't eventually increase the number of playoff teams. The likelihood of a 9-7,8-8,or even a 7-9 team making a championship run would substantially increase.

It would sound kind of "wrong" if an 8-8 team wins it all, and then they're called "The World Champions", even though they got beat by 8 other teams.

It's already diluted enough.
Which is why I don't mind the idea of divisions, if only for establishing team rivalries. However, just take the 6 best records and seed them for the playoffs
Pages: 1 2