Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Jacksonville getting Google Fiber?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So it looks like Google Fiber is coming to Jacksonville.  This could be huge.  AT&T is a nogo for me, and I can't get Comcast at the moment.  Not exactly sure how widespread it would be or if this actually affects me but still is a good sign.

Quote:<div>The Google Fiber train is rolling in to three new cities. Google announced this week that Oklahoma City, Jacksonville and Tampa will be the next three cities that Google has invited “to explore bringing Google Fiber to their communities.” For all intents and purposes, this means these three cities are likely getting Google Fiber, presuming they play ball with Google by providing the proper access to infrastructure.

“These growing tech-hubs have a strong entrepreneurial spirit and commitment to small business growth,” Google writes of the three latest cities it’s chosen. “Their list of accolades is long — from Jacksonville’s title as a top 10 city for tech jobs, to Tampa Bay’s #2 spot on the list of best cities for young entrepreneurs, to Oklahoma City’s recognition as the #1 city to launch a business. One of our goals is to make sure speed isn’t an accidental ceiling for how people and businesses use the Web, and these cities are the perfect places to show what’s possible with gigabit Internet.”

</div>
Here's the link:

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/s/google-fibe...19603.html

We'll see how long it takes them to implement this in a city that's as spread out as Jacksonville.  It would be great if they actually did because Comcast pretty much owns the high speed internet market locally, and they flat out stink. 

Quote:We'll see how long it takes them to implement this in a city that's as spread out as Jacksonville.  It would be great if they actually did because Comcast pretty much owns the high speed internet market locally, and they flat out stink. 

Any news about lessening comcasts monopoly is good news. At least it will put some fear of competition in them and offer more reasonable pricing.

Hopefully this gets ATT to get going on their gigapower network.

Having a choice of three different giga-speed providers would be fantastic for Jacksonville.

Here's to hoping this competition benefits the people just outside the jacksonville area as well.
Oh thank god. I'm thru with Comcast after their latest debacle on my account. Billing errors, security breaches, and horrible customer service reps somewhere in India to top it off.
Could mean more tech jobs in Jax too. Maybe that will allow me to come back at some point in the future.

Probably won't have it ready until I'm ready to move... 

To a place I hope I can get DSL to lol

Praise be to Google!

I don't like this. If you guys get better internet than me, what in hell am I going to have a smug sense of superiority over?

Quote:I don't like this. If you guys get better internet than me, what in hell am I going to have a smug sense of superiority over?

The Welsh.
Quote:We'll see how long it takes them to implement this in a city that's as spread out as Jacksonville. It would be great if they actually did because Comcast pretty much owns the high speed internet market locally, and they flat out stink.

I think Jax was one of the original finalists for the first test market. I wonder if things being spread out makes laying cable easier? Google obviously sees something positive in the city setup.
Quote:I don't like this. If you guys get better internet than me, what in hell am I going to have a smug sense of superiority over?

You'll just have to Yankee up and make the move over here!
Quote:You'll just have to Yankee up and make the move over here!

Too many cars and light poles...
Quote:You'll just have to Yankee up and make the move over here!
And give up my cushy unionized job and the sweet, sweet affordable health care that keeps me a gruntled employee? NEVER!
Quote:Any news about lessening comcasts monopoly is good news. At least it will put some fear of competition in them and offer more reasonable pricing.

Hopefully this gets ATT to get going on their gigapower network.

Having a choice of three different giga-speed providers would be fantastic for Jacksonville.

Here's to hoping this competition benefits the people just outside the jacksonville area as well.

I wouldn't go with ATT even if they were the cheapest option, terrible company. 
Quote:And give up my cushy unionized job and the sweet, sweet affordable health care that keeps me a gruntled employee? NEVER!

Yea but look how much time you spend on an American football website, your just a Big Mac and a glock away from being a full blown yank!
My body is ready.

I'm assuming those of us just over the county line in JCP/St Johns are out of luck on this one.  You'd think a huge concentration of upper middle class families would be right up their alley.

Quote:I think Jax was one of the original finalists for the first test market. I wonder if things being spread out makes laying cable easier? Google obviously sees something positive in the city setup.

It's possible that a lot of the backbone for this is already in place. 
I'm jealous. I have Comcast and constantly have issues. Hopefully Google Fiber makes its way down to South Florida soon.

So this is huge process, and it is mainly city driven. Now that Google is looking at Jacksonville, the City has to meet a checklist including infrastructure requirements. Also note that Jax and Tampa are the first major cities considered with a real hurricane risk. So that could make managing those risks could make that investment more.

Here is the link to the checklist:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzFtF8h...view?pli=1