Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: 7 weeks in! What we learned
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Bortles has improved: He is still young and will make crucial mistakes.  That said he is a gunslinger and not afraid to make deep plays and give his receiver a chance.  2 to 1 td/int ratio with an 87 rating is huge for a young QB.  Tough, athletic,with a good arm.  Tough I emphasize. This guy took a beating last year with some big hits this year.  He just keeps getting up.

Yeldon could be a good one: 2 100 yard games in two of his last three starts works for me.  Showed come explosiveness and toughness for a long TD in London.

Hurns/Robinson: A real NFL duo threat.  Both make plays and are the primary reason we are scoring more points this year.

Lee can't be counted on:  The best ability is availability.  He has an injury history going back to his college days.  It effected his rookie year and made him invisible this year.  Hopefully at some point he can shake the injury bug but TBD.

Julius Thomas has not helped in the Redzone: Thomas stats for the 2015 season so far, 10 catches for 102yds and 1 td.  The running 4 straight times with Toby shows how much confident Olson has with thomas in the redzone. 

Lewis has looked bad all around this year:  His stone hands mixed with turtle speed has been ineffective in the passing game.  His blocking skills are on the decline as well. 

Telvin Smith looks to be a star player:  The guys uses his speed to literally fly all over the football field.  He has been the Jags best defender this year.

Poz can still play: The run defense looks dramatically better with him in there. He also has 2 ints on the year.  He is the veteran player this young team needs.

The offensive line has improved:  The run blocking still needs improvement but the pass blocking has improved dramatically.  The Joke is not so humorous.  It's still not a good line but it's competent so that automatically makes it 10x better than last year.

We need a kicker:  Scobee was over the hill while Meyers can't be relied on.  It has already cost us one game.

The Defensive line is not good enough: The scheme is sound if you can get to the QB with only four.  This line cannot do that. Clemons is over the Hill, Branch stinks, alualu stinks as usual, Marks is recovering, davis and smith are not good enough to start.  We need pass rushers

The team has to be aggressive and keep blitzing:  The front four is not good enough so we have to keep blitzing lb's, db's etc.  Find a way to effect the QB.  We did that against Buffalo and good things happened.  We sat back in that soft zone all day against New England and got torched.   Sure it's going to open up long plays for the opposing team but it also forces mistakes.

Beadles should stay on the bench:  He has given up 5 or 6 sacks already.  Just not a good football player

Cyprien Sucks: Bad football instincts, horrible open field tackler, liability in coverage, overall just not a good football player.  The fumble he caused against Buffalo was the highlight of his career.  At this point if Sample is healthy he should get a shot. 

What I've learned 7 weeks in:

Where not as bad as I feared, not as good as I hoped.
Digging this post. Everything you wrote is 100% dead on. Like to a tee. But for real though, hopefully they sign one of those kickers they worked out today. We CANNOT continue with Meyers. Everything else cannot really be fixed so easily.

Quote:Bortles has improved: He is still young and will make crucial mistakes. That said he is a gunslinger and not afraid to make deep plays and give his receiver a chance. 2 to 1 td/int ratio with an 87 rating is huge for a young QB. Tough, athletic,with a good arm. Tough I emphasize. This guy took a beating last year with some big hits this year. He just keeps getting up.

Yeldon could be a good one: 2 100 yard games in two of his last three starts works for me. Showed come explosiveness and toughness for a long TD in London.

Hurns/Robinson: A real NFL duo threat. Both make plays and are the primary reason we are scoring more points this year.

Lee can't be counted on: The best ability is availability. He has an injury history going back to his college days. It effected his rookie year and made him invisible this year. Hopefully at some point he can shake the injury bug but TBD.

Julius Thomas has not helped in the Redzone: Thomas stats for the 2015 season so far, 10 catches for 102yds and 1 td. The running 4 straight times with Toby shows how much confident Olson has with thomas in the redzone.

Lewis has looked bad all around this year: His stone hands mixed with turtle speed has been ineffective in the passing game. His blocking skills are on the decline as well.

Telvin Smith looks to be a star player: The guys uses his speed to literally fly all over the football field. He has been the Jags best defender this year.

Poz can still play: The run defense looks dramatically better with him in there. He also has 2 ints on the year. He is the veteran player this young team needs.

The offensive line has improved: The run blocking still needs improvement but the pass blocking has improved dramatically. The Joke is not so humorous. It's still not a good line but it's competent so that automatically makes it 10x better than last year.

We need a kicker: Scobee was over the hill while Meyers can't be relied on. It has already cost us one game.

The Defensive line is not good enough: The scheme is sound if you can get to the QB with only four. This line cannot do that. Clemons is over the Hill, Branch stinks, alualu stinks as usual, Marks is recovering, davis and smith are not good enough to start. We need pass rushers

The team has to be aggressive and keep blitzing: The front four is not good enough so we have to keep blitzing lb's, db's etc. Find a way to effect the QB. We did that against Buffalo and good things happened. We sat back in that soft zone all day against New England and got torched. Sure it's going to open up long plays for the opposing team but it also forces mistakes.

Beadles should stay on the bench: He has given up 5 or 6 sacks already. Just not a good football player

Cyprien Sucks: Bad football instincts, horrible open field tackler, liability in coverage, overall just not a good football player. The fumble he caused against Buffalo was the highlight of his career. At this point if Sample is healthy he should get a shot.

I agree. This is a really good thread and analysis of the team. Agree on all points. Well done.
Quote: 

Julius Thomas has not helped in the Redzone: Thomas stats for the 2015 season so far, 10 catches for 102yds and 1 td.  The running 4 straight times with Toby shows how much confident Olson has with thomas in the redzone. 

I pretty much agree with the list except for the bit about Olson's confidence in Thomas.  That's a huge assumption with no direct correlation.

Your take on Cyprien is overly critical also, but - overall - it's a pretty good list of the current state of affairs for this team. 
Outside of kicker i would say safety is the worst position on our roster. I hope Sample can be a decent player. Either way both safety positions need to be fixed in the off season. Eric Berry in fa and Vonn Bell in the 2nd
Quote:What I've learned 7 weeks in:

Where not as bad as I feared, not as good as I hoped.

Simply perfect explanation of the way I feel
Quote:Outside of kicker i would say safety is the worst position on our roster. I hope Sample can be a decent player. Either way both safety positions need to be fixed in the off season. Eric Berry in fa and Vonn Bell in the 2nd

Defensive end and it's not close imo.
Great thread and pretty spot on with how I feel.
Quote:Defensive end and it's not close imo.

If we're going off production thus far I would argue TE. We've gotten little out of Thomas and even less out of Marcedes. Marcedes has literally been useless. He can't catch, he can't run, he's not a good blocker (despite what some think) and watching him run is painful.

DE is another big hole on the roster.
Quote:Bortles has improved: He is still young and will make crucial mistakes.  That said he is a gunslinger and not afraid to make deep plays and give his receiver a chance.  2 to 1 td/int ratio with an 87 rating is huge for a young QB.  Tough, athletic,with a good arm.  Tough I emphasize. This guy took a beating last year with some big hits this year.  He just keeps getting up.

Yeldon could be a good one: 2 100 yard games in two of his last three starts works for me.  Showed come explosiveness and toughness for a long TD in London.

Hurns/Robinson: A real NFL duo threat.  Both make plays and are the primary reason we are scoring more points this year.

Lee can't be counted on:  The best ability is availability.  He has an injury history going back to his college days.  It effected his rookie year and made him invisible this year.  Hopefully at some point he can shake the injury bug but TBD.

Lewis has looked bad all around this year:  His stone hands mixed with turtle speed has been ineffective in the passing game.  His blocking skills are on the decline as well. 

Telvin Smith looks to be a star player:  The guys uses his speed to literally fly all over the football field.  He has been the Jags best defender this year.

Poz can still play: The run defense looks dramatically better with him in there. He also has 2 ints on the year.  He is the veteran player this young team needs.

The offensive line has improved:  The run blocking still needs improvement but the pass blocking has improved dramatically.  The Joke is not so humorous.  It's still not a good line but it's competent so that automatically makes it 10x better than last year.

We need a kicker:  Scobee was over the hill while Meyers can't be relied on.  It has already cost us one game.

The Defensive line is not good enough: The scheme is sound if you can get to the QB with only four.  This line cannot do that. Clemons is over the Hill, Branch stinks, alualu stinks as usual, Marks is recovering, davis and smith are not good enough to start.  We need pass rushers

The team has to be aggressive and keep blitzing:  The front four is not good enough so we have to keep blitzing lb's, db's etc.  Find a way to effect the QB.  We did that against Buffalo and good things happened.  We sat back in that soft zone all day against New England and got torched.   Sure it's going to open up long plays for the opposing team but it also forces mistakes.

Beadles should stay on the bench:  He has given up 5 or 6 sacks already.  Just not a good football player

Cyprien Sucks: Bad football instincts, horrible open field tackler, liability in coverage, overall just not a good football player.  The fumble he caused against Buffalo was the highlight of his career.  At this point if Sample is healthy he should get a shot. 
Julius thomas has helped the red zone in two of our touchdowns during the last game vs buffalo. The arob td they doubled him and what you fell to mention on the gelhart series when he failed to score on four straight attempts is that the reason why we was even at the one yd line is because julius thomas had gotten a passed interference penalty on the previous play in the end zone when blake threw it to him.  
All good points.  Although I think JT will become more of a threat once he and Bortles get some playing-time together and build up a better understanding (three games isn't really enough !)  

Hopefully the pass rush will improve once Dante Fowler is fit, but I guess another quality player on the DL would help too.

And how about...

We need a fullback: This team just isn't good enough in short yardage situations and the combination of Gerhart and Alualu isn't working as we'd hoped. Maybe its time to accept that a good fullback does have a use after all.

Gerhard missed the hole twice on the goalline...
Quote:If we're going off production thus far I would argue TE. We've gotten little out of Thomas and even less out of Marcedes. Marcedes has literally been useless. He can't catch, he can't run, he's not a good blocker (despite what some think) and watching him run is painful.

DE is another big hole on the roster.

Thomas has played in three games. In one of them, he had 7 catches and a TD.
Quote:Defensive end and it's not close imo.

Absolutely. 
The safeties have a tough job with no pressure up front. So, maybe it's unfair a little to be that critical of the safeties until they're put into a situation where they're not always asked to do the impossible.

Edit: But, yes agree on the play of Cyp should be better

Quote:All good points.  Although I think JT will become more of a threat once he and Bortles get some playing-time together and build up a better understanding (three games isn't really enough !)  

Hopefully the pass rush will improve once Dante Fowler is fit, but I guess another quality player on the DL would help too.

And how about...

We need a fullback: This team just isn't good enough in short yardage situations and the combination of Gerhart and Alualu isn't working as we'd hoped. Maybe its time to accept that a good fullback does have a use after all.

Let's be honest...

Did anyone really believe that this formation was going to work?
Quote:Thomas has played in three games. In one of them, he had 7 catches and a TD.

I know and my opinion hasn't changed.

As of now, in 7 games, he's gotten us 10 catches for 102 yards and 1 TD.

Mercedes has 8 catches for 62 yards and no TDs.

Clay Harbor 7 for 71 and 1 TD.

That's not a lot of production.

I know Thomas has been injured but that's part of it.
Nic Jacobs should be getting Marcedes' snaps.  Jacobs can't catch either but is a very good blocker.

What's Thomas played? A game and a half? 100 yards and a TD may be more than we see from Lewis all season.

Pages: 1 2