Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Are there other hidden gems on this roster? Who are they?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
We all know that Bortles, the Allens, and Telvin Smith are all good players with a high ceiling. We've seen some nice things from Colvin and Yeldon too.  But are there guys in the shadows who simply need more playing time, and they too will shine? Here are some possible candidates:

James Sample. 

Why this guy doesn't get more playing time, I don't know.

Demetrius McCray. 

This guy was going gangbusters last year, and then in preseason, he disappointed. But that was preseason.  And is Gratz really better?

Ryan Davis

Again, another guy who definitely made the most of his opportunity when he played last year. I know Branch had a good game last week, but surely he's not so good that Davis never sees the field.

Chris Smith.

Probably just me, but I like this guy. I know he's not the most talented, wasn't drafted, etc. But he seems to make plays consistently, when he does get the chance to play.

Bryan Walters

Catches everything thrown his way.  In fairness to Gus, this guy is getting an opportunity to show what he can do.

Rashad Greene.  Haven't seen much from him this year, but man, he was a playmaker at FSU.

Quote:We all know that Bortles, the Allens, and Telvin Smith are all good players with a high ceiling. We've seen some nice things from Colvin and Yeldon too.  But are there guys in the shadows who simply need more playing time, and they too will shine? Here are some possible candidates:

James Sample. 

Demetrius McCray. 

This guy was going gangbusters last year, and then in preseason, he disappointed. But that was preseason.  And is Gratz really better?

Ryan Davis

Again, another guy who definitely made the most of his opportunity when he played last year. I know Branch had a good game last week, but surely he's not so good that Davis never sees the field.

Chris Smith.

Probably just me, but I like this guy. I know he's not the most talented, wasn't drafted, etc. But he seems to make plays consistently, when he does get the chance to play.

Bryan Walters

Catches everything thrown his way.  In fairness to Gus, this guy is getting an opportunity to show what he can do.

Rashad Greene.  Haven't seen much from him this year, but man, he was a playmaker at FSU.
After reading this thread I think you don't watch the Jags play. 
Quote:After reading this thread I think you don't watch the Jags play. 

Season ticket holder since 1998.
Quote:We all know that Bortles, the Allens, and Telvin Smith are all good players with a high ceiling. We've seen some nice things from Colvin and Yeldon too. But are there guys in the shadows who simply need more playing time, and they too will shine? Here are some possible candidates:

James Sample.

Demetrius McCray.

This guy was going gangbusters last year, and then in preseason, he disappointed. But that was preseason. And is Gratz really better?

Ryan Davis

Chris Smith.

Bryan Walters

Catches everything thrown his way. In fairness to Gus, this guy is getting an opportunity to show what he can do.

Rashad Greene. Haven't seen much from him this year, but man, he was a playmaker at FSU.

Samples been hurt, McCray has been moved down for poor performance, Davis works on special team (eyeroll), Chris Smith is no bueno, Walters is doing what he's supposed to do, Green has been hurt.

And I second the part where it doesn't seem like you follow much about the Jags. Which is fine, just be prepared to potentially receive insults like "YOOOOUUUUUU STOOOOOOPPID" to spring up.
Quote:After reading this thread I think you don't watch the Jags play.

This.
Quote:Season ticket holder since 1998.
Then I will point out to you Greene and Sample have been hurt and Walters doesn't get as many looks cause we have two pretty good receivers taking those targets. I agree with you on the other three, though, although Smith was drafted last year in the 5th round.
 Sample is injured or he'd be on the field.  DiRocco and Oehser report frequently that the Jags are "high" on him.  He'll get a shot when healthy.

Greene is the only other one from the OP's list I have really high hopes for (also hurt)  and McCray gets  an honorable mention.  

I'm a bit baffled by McCray's mysterious drop off of the map - though it was clear in preseason and vs. New England that he wasn't at his best for some reason. Just don't know why. 

Maybe he pulls it together.

I hear the phrase, "hidden gem" or "diamond in the rough", I think of Gene and I wanna vomit...
How about Abry Jones? Am I alone in thinking that he looks pretty good when he's out there, or does Miller just make him look like John Henderson by comparison?
Neal sterling, he's gonna be a beast, a TO without the antics.
Michael Bennett. 

Quote:How about Abry Jones? Am I alone in thinking that he looks pretty good when he's out there, or does Miller just make him look like John Henderson by comparison?

I like his motor and strength but he needs good coverage to have enough time to be disruptive.  Not quite "getting home" quick enough IMO.  Solid rotation for sure and could still improve.   
jeeze guys.. lay off the guy. He made a legit thread albeit,didn't mention some of the injuries to certain players. Not that big of a deal guys.

Quote:jeeze guys.. lay off the guy. He made a legit thread albeit,didn't mention some of the injuries to certain players. Not that big of a deal guys.

More so he didn't even realize some were injured and that's why they weren't playing.

That being said, it is a valid discussion topic. Based on our late round pick bloomers, is there another guy who just needs his chance to play?
Quote:Neal sterling, he's gonna be a beast, a TO without the antics.

Bold statement
Quote:I like his motor and strength but he needs good coverage to have enough time to be disruptive.  Not quite "getting home" quick enough IMO.  Solid rotation for sure and could still improve.   

Abry Jones is a guy who's main job is to take up blocks. He's Miller's backup. He's not expected to be the sack guy, that's the job of the 3T.

Quote:Michael Bennett.
yeah I agree and Dante Fowler Jr he's hidden on IR now but 2016 it's on.
Quote: Sample is injured or he'd be on the field. DiRocco and Oehser report frequently that the Jags are "high" on him. He'll get a shot when healthy.

Greene is the only other one from the OP's list I have really high hopes for (also hurt) and McCray gets an honorable mention.

I'm a bit baffled by McCray's mysterious drop off of the map - though it was clear in preseason and vs. New England that he wasn't at his best for some reason. Just don't know why.

Maybe he pulls it together.

McCrays drop is vaguely reminiscent of what happened with Derek Cox.
In regards to the Rookies...

I mean of course the Obivious TJ Yeldon, but I felt RB Corey Grant will be good as well, (granted he fumbled on that play and is now injured [hip] but he showed potential in PreSeason), so I would like to see more of him next PreSeason & regular hopefully the injury doesnt ruin him.

I like the sure hands of Bryan Walters, but he is a bit slow... him and greene on the fence.. are they simply the phrase WRs are a dime a dozen .. i think out of the two Walters has proven to be more reliable catching more of the passes thrown his way... but Greene is a bit faster..

------

i would say a dud out of the rookies appears to be the QB turned into CB/Returner Nick Marshall... when are they going to simply put this guy on the PS or cut him?
Quote:Abry Jones is a guy who's main job is to take up blocks. He's Miller's backup. He's not expected to be the sack guy, that's the job of the 3T.
Makes sense.  I was thinking of two blitz plays from London on which he was not taking on a double and was moving his guy but couldn't shed him. I think he'd be more disruptive if he were better in those moments. But - yeah - he's not primarily a pass rusher - so I my initial analysis is maybe a bit harsh.
Pages: 1 2