Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Players who have pleasantly surprised you
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Who are some guys you doubted but have stepped up their game?

- Josh Evans

- Dan Skuta

- Luke Joeckel

Evans was the first one I thought of. I think he's played pretty well. For me, I would put Hurns on there as well. He was good last year but has really taken his name to another level. And while the defensive line has been a major disappointment, I think Roy Miller has been good.

Walters, with his clutch hands.

None of the players have 'really' surprised me. However, some of the cheerleaders on the 'ROAR' are a pleasant surprise.

Hurns. 100% Hurns. I thought his ceiling was a good complementary #3, maybe even #4 coming into the season. He's lit it up in the best of ways and has my apologies for doubting him.

Defensively, I would say that everyone has been playing as I expected or worse. That includes House. I expected him to be the team's best corner and its top corner, and aside from Bradley's dunce cap worthy decision to bench him, House certainly hasn't disappointed. He doesn't look the part of a shutdown corner, though, and I have little doubt that by 2017, Colvin and/or McCray (if Gus ever lets him play again) will have surpassed him in talent and playing time.

The big one for me is Bortles. I wasn't really high on the pick. He is proving me wrong, especially given the fact he has had to learn two different systems. His improvement is tangible and he is showing the ability to play at a high level in this league.

Allen Hurns. I was scared to think he was going to fall off the earth and become some average receiver, but man has he been awesome or what? I have major respect for that guy!
Cann -  and to a lesser degree Hurns.  

Cann -  I just had no clue about him and he's been very solid for a rookie forced to start. 

Hurns I expected to be good but still have a few drops, which he has. But the 4 or 5 big plays have been a pleasant surprise.

Didn't think he'd be that dynamic on a regular basis.  Not having Lee out there has given him more opportunity, but he has not shied away from it. 
Bortles, Hurns, Skuta

Beadles, in a bad way.

I'm surprised this Vet can't seem to get it together. He's the biggest issue and likely causes Joker to look worse than he is

Parnell.

Had no idea that this guy would be this good since he only started a handful of game last year. Dude is a beast.

Quote:Parnell.

Had no idea that this guy would be this good since he only started a handful of game last year. Dude is a beast.

Yeah, he's pretty damn good. Been a while since we had the right side of the line locked down.
apparently my reading comp is down for today...

pleasantly surprised?

Yeldon.... I didn't think a rookie RB would look good this year (I thought Gurleys injury would keep him from being a star, I was wrong and Yeldon has looked like the 2nd best rookie RB)

The biggest one for me is a rob. I thought he would be good but not great. He's exceeding expectations.

I would say hurns but the only thing I ever really had bad to say about him was that besides the lack of eye popping combine numbers, was his hands.

He definitely finds ways to make plays, I just wish his hands were a little more reliable.
Bortles, Hurns, Skuta
Bortles, Hurns, and the offensive line. Run block's a problem, but they've protected Bortles fairly well
Personally it's TJ Yeldon. I wasn't much of a believer in him going into the season especially with his injury, fumble issues in college and the fact he is an Alabama rb. However I'm glad I was wrong. He hasn't fumbled and makes people miss. His best trait imo is his patience. He lets his blockers set up and always seems to find the right hole.
Quote:Walters, with his clutch hands.

Yep, that guy never drops a pass. He needs more snaps. Why didn't he survive the preseason cuts?

I also am surprised the loss of Brandon Linder did not destroy our running game.
Andrew Luck.

Quote:Andrew Luck.

LOL Good one. Now the "fans" who said "Suck for Luck" in 2011 can eat their crow because Bortles is playing much better this season.

I have to agree with everyone who said Bortles, but am very frustrated about the offense only being good before halftime.
Pages: 1 2