Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: This Week in th AFC South-Week 8
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Quote: 

I have never been overly crazy about bye weeks.

Even though a well timed bye week can benefit a banged up team, the fact is, I go through a bit of withdrawal when my Jaguars aren't playing.

Nevertheless, football goes on even during the bye weeks, and there seems no shortage of drama within the division.

Houston gave up 41 points in the first half...FIRST HALF..against the resurgent fish.  While it wasn't as fiery as the exchange between Sean Payton and Rob Ryan, it was a sign things are not going well for the Houston defense, which has surrendered 40 points or more twice in the last four weeks.  Then there were reports of a power struggle between Texans' GM Rick Smith and coach Bill O'Brien over whether to cut QB Ryan Mallet, who has been inconsistent for the Texans, both in overall production and professionalism.  The final straw for the Texans was Mallet waking late and missing the team flight to Miami.  Apparently O'Brien won the struggle and cut Mallet.  Finally for Houston, they lost their best RB for the year (and maybe his career) when Arian Foster blew out his achilles tendon.  An unfortunate injury for a talented RB.  But on the bright side for Houston, Clowney registered his first career sack.

Speaking of power struggles between coach and GM, Colts' GM Ryan Grigson and head coach Chuck Pagano supposedly got into a heated argument after the Colts' loss to the Saints last Sunday.  It seems they have been sniping at each other all year long, and boiled over after the game.  I read another report indicating Colts owner Irsay also got into it with Grigson.  It seems that if the Colts level of play continues, neither Pagano nor Grigson will win this power struggle, as both may be on the streets.

Meanwhile in Tennessee, the Titans represent stability in comparison to Houston and Indy.  I've seen no reports of any squabbling between coach and GM there.  They are dealing with an injured Mariota who missed the last game with a knee injury.

Finally in Jacksonville, the Jaguars got the best news of all of the division teams, being the only team that won last week.  But even then, the team couldn't close out, and won almost in spite of themselves.

Last week: 2-2

Overall:  14-9

Thanks again to astrorenegade for his compilation of the standings.  That isn't easy, especially starting out. You also handled the issue of late starting posters very well.

My picks:

Tennessee (1-5) at Houston (2-5)
  I think Tennessee will win this game despite possibly missing Mariota again this week.  Tennessee is playing pretty decent defense.  Meanwhile, despite having JJ Watt, Houston didn't stop Miami at all in the first half last week.  Tennessee wins 20-17.

Indy (3-4) at Carolina (6-0)-All preseason, I viewed the Carolina game as a winnable one for the Jaguars.  After the Jaguars lost to Carolina to open the season, I was upset because I thought it was a winnable game.  But perhaps it's time for me to revisit that, considering after 6 games, Carolina is undefeated.  They are running the ball well and playing good defense.  Meanwhile, Indy has not played well.  The older free agent pickups, while much ballyhooed, have had almost no positive impact for the Colts, and draft misses continue to haunt this team.  Even Andrew Luck has not played well.  Carolina wins 24-20.

I put the standings here so that we can have them on hand. All credit for this goes to astrorenegade

This Week in the AFC South by Bullseye Standings as of the start of Week 8

Active Players

Week One (23 games)

Jagherd...............14-9 (.608)(2-2)(1-3)(2-1)(2-0)(3-0)(2-1)(2-2)

Bullseye..............14-9 (.608)(2-2)(0-4)(3-0)(2-0)(2-1)(3-0)(2-2)

Deacon................14-9 (.608)(1-3)(2-2)(2-1)(1-1)(2-1)(2-1)(4-0)

Astrorenegade.........13-10 (.565)(2-2)(2-2)(3-0)(1-1)(2-1)(1-2)(2-2)

D6....................13-10 (.565)(2-2)(1-3)(3-0)(2-0)(1-2)(2-1)(2-2)

JaguarKick............12-11 (.521)(1-3)(2-2)(2-1)(1-1)(1-2)(2-1)(3-1)

Jagibelieve...........12-11 (.521)(1-3)(1-3)(3-0)(1-1)(2-1)(1-2)(3-1)

SeldomRite............12-11 (.521)(1-3)(1-3)(3-0)(2-0)(1-2)(1-2)(3-1)

Jags02................12-11 (.521)(1-3)(1-3)(2-1)(1-1)(2-1)(2-1)(3-1)

Coltswarriors.........11-12 (.478)(1-3)(1-3)(3-0)(2-0)(2-1)(0-3)(2-2)

Haterade..............10-13 (.434)(2-2)(1-3)(2-1)(1-1)(2-1)(1-2)(1-3)

Snowwolf776...........9-14 (.391)(2-2)(0-4)(2-1)(2-0)(1-2)(1-2)(1-3)

Other Active

Less than 19 games

Unf_nashvillian.......12-7 (.631)(19gm)(n/a)(2-2)(2-1)(2-0)(1-2)(2-1)(3-1)

Scoobydiesel..........11-8 (.578)(19gm)(n/a)(3-1)(1-2)(1-1)(1-2)(2-1)(3-1)

ObjectiveJag..........6-1 (.857)(7gm)(n/a)(n/a)(n/a)(n/a)(n/a)(3-0)(3-1)

Inactive

The Eleventh Doctor...8-5 (.615)(13gm)(2-2)(1-3)(3-0)(2-0)(n/a)(n/a)

B2hibry...............7-6 (.538)(13gm)(3-1)(1-3)(2-1)(1-1)(n/a)(n/a)

Rico..................7-5 (.583)(12gm)(n/a)(2-2)(2-1)(2-0)(1-2)(n/a)

Psychop1..............4-7 (.363)(11gm)(3-1)(0-4)(1-2)(n/a)(n/a)(n/a)

ThatsGoodJaguars......3-8 (.272)(11gm)(0-4)(2-2)(1-2)(n/a)(n/a)(n/a)

Mowerguy..............3-7 (.300)(10gm)(1-3)(n/a)(0-3)(n/a)(n/a)(2-1)

Thunderkyss...........2-6 (.250)(8gm)(1-3)(1-3)(n/a)(n/a)(n/a)(n/a)

Jaglou53..............2-6 (.250)(8gm)(0-4)(2-2)(n/a)(n/a)(n/a)(n/a)

Flsprtsgod............1-4 (.200)(5gm)(n/a)(n/a)(0-3)(1-1)(n/a)(n/a)

AP06..................3-1 (.750)(4gm)(n/a)(3-1)(n/a)(n/a)(n/a)(n/a)

DewIT................3-1 (.750)(4gm)(3-1)(n/a)(n/a)(n/a)(n/a)(n/a)

Thundersnow..........2-2 (.500)(4gm)(2-2)(n/a)(n/a)(n/a)(n/a)(n/a)

haveaseat............2-2 (.500)(4gm)(2-2)(n/a)(n/a)(n/a)(n/a)(n/a)

Ibjagged..............1-2 (.333)(3gm)(n/a)(n/a)(1-2)(n/a)(n/a)(n/a)

Jags_r_bake...........1-2 (.333)(3gm)(n/a)(n/a)(1-2)(n/a)(n/a)(n/a)

Tennessee @ Houston Hmm, so do we go with the "let's all rally behind the backup QB" factor for Tennessee? Or the "holy cow! They cut a guy for being late to work! We better start playin' good!" for Houston? For me, I think Tennessee's Defense is starting to really come together under LeBeau and I don't see Houston being able to overcome that. While they are at home, I think Houston just has too many missing parts in order to pull this one out. Tennessee for the win.

Indianapolis @ Carolina Carolina's Defense is playing lights out right now and making up for the Offense's apparent lack of quality pass catchers. They are making the most out of Greg Olsen (The guy constantly surprises me. I never thought he'd have this kind of career) but you can definitely see the growing pains that Philly Brown and Devin Funchess are experiencing. But they are at home and they have two very good Running Backs in Tolbert and Stewart. Besides, Indianapolis looks like they spent too much time reading their press clippings and not enough time learnin' how tah hit somebody! Carolina with the victory.

Last week: 4 - 0

Overall: 14 - 9

10-13

Tenn

Carolina
2-2 last week

14-9 overall

Panthers

Texans (changed my mind,, I think Houston gets this one)
2-2 last week.

11-12 overall.

Texans over Titans

Panthers over Colts
Another shout out for Astrorenegade for putting things together.

3-1 Last week

12-11 Overall

Titans over Texans

Panthers over Colts

Thanks everyone, it was nothing.

Last week 2-2

Overall 13-10

This week my picks also match up to what I want to happen to move the Jags closer to the division lead.

Tennessee Titans defeat Houston Texans
Carolina Panthers defeat Indianapolis Colts
I'll take the texans and panthers.

Not because I think those teams are any good, but because I think the teams they're facing are just even worse.

3-1 last week.

Picking Tennessee over Houston and Car over Indy. Jags win the bye week.

Texans 

Panthers 

3-1 last week

12-11 overall

Titans over Texans

Panthers over Colts

Is anybody going to take the Colts?

3-1 last week

12-7 overall

Titans over Texans

Panthers over Colts
Quote:3-1 last week

12-11 overall

Titans over Texans

Panthers over Colts

Is anybody going to take the Colts?
I started to, but changed my mind when I realized I've been wrong about Carolina.
Quote:I started to, but changed my mind when I realized I've been wrong about Carolina.

Yeah, I picked the Panthers to lose each of the past two week. Even late in the game vs the Eagles I thought the Eagles had the Panthers D right where I wanted them and was wrong. They're just too stout of a team this year. It's going to take something more than the likes of the Colts to beat them.

As for the other game, it's official that Mariota is out again, but I think even Mettenberger beats the Texans without Arian Foster.

Quote:Yeah, I picked the Panthers to lose each of the past two week. Even late in the game vs the Eagles I thought the Eagles had the Panthers D right where I wanted them and was wrong. They're just too stout of a team this year. It's going to take something more than the likes of the Colts to beat them.

As for the other game, it's official that Mariota is out again, but I think even Mettenberger beats the Texans without Arian Foster.
To me, I'm still amazed to see Carolina as being undefeated.

Going into the season, the Panthers tackles were a question mark to be generous, and the receivers were average at best before the receiver got hurt.

I didn't see how they could mount any offense.

I figured their defense would be good, but I didn't think their secondary would turn out so well.

Josh Norman is playing excellent CB for them.

I still hate them and want them to fail, but they seem to have put it all together so far.
I agree about Josh Norman. As I watch the cut-ups of each game, he's the one CB truly standing out this year, and I've already seen him listed as the top CB this season in one ranking. The pick six he had on Bortles was just one of several, as he's proven to be extremely adept at doing that. Clearly he's a part of why they're winning games, and he should end up in this year's Pro Bowl.

2-2 Last Week

13-10 Overall

Week # 8 Selections:

Tennessee over Houston

Carolina over Indianapolis

1-3 last week

13-10 overall

Titans over Texans

Colts over panthers
Going with:

Houston

Carolina