Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Good QBs Win
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Blake Bortles is a fearless, dynamic, exciting QB with lots of promise.

Due to inexperience and perhaps his natural zest, he lacks the calmness, smarts and art of winning at this stage of his career.

His mistakes come at the most critical/back breaking times. That could have been 2 straight losses arguably attributed to his play.

Luckily, he willed his squad to a win on Sunday when granted the chance. He showed moxy, clawed and made the throw. Allen Hurns went all out and saved his QB.

Bortles is promising. He is not good as yet and has a small way to go.

Probowl association from some fans is a mockery of what I feel a QB represents in this league. Elite = Probowl. Bortles is learning how to win right now. Elite is not remotely close. Any fan who puts his name in probowl talk (purely based on stats) is quite dim, or ditsy. 2-5 teams don't have probowl QBS.

Here's hoping he ups the win column and legitimize a probowl claim by season's end. Go Jaguars.
well yeah good QB's don't normally lose a lot, that's usually the case. Except some do because they are on awful teams.

But we definitely saw a good QB versus a high school QB, and the major league talent of Bortles was obviously superior.

How Manuel was even drafted is a reflection on their GM, I wouldn't have taken him in the 6th round.

Quote:Blake Bortles is a fearless, dynamic, exciting QB with lots of promise.

Due to inexperience and perhaps his natural zest, he lacks the calmness, smarts and art of winning at this stage of his career.

His mistakes come at the most critical/back breaking times. That could have been 2 straight losses arguably attributed to his play.

Luckily, he willed his squad to a win on Sunday when granted the chance. He showed moxy, clawed and made the throw. Allen Hurns went all out and saved his QB.

Probowl association from some fans is a mockery of what I feel a QB represents in this league. Elite = Probowl. Bortles is learning how to win right now. Elite is not remotely close. Any fan who puts his name in probowl talk (purely based on stats) is quite dim, or ditsy. 2-5 teams don't have probowl QBS.

Here's hoping he ups the win column and legitimize a probowl claim by season's end. Go Jaguars.
Well base on your logic then flacco, luck, wilson, brees, stafford, and tannehill sucks too because they're not winning and have a share of probowls on their resumes. Football is a TEAM GAME and despite whatever myth you have for the qb position it takes other parts of the team to perform for the team to achieve the highest success. If you like it or not Blake Bortles is good and is worth the #3 pick so if our belief in him as a fan base bothers you then feel free to root for another team. 

Any qb can have a game where they put up 300 yards and a couple tds. Even Gabbert did they once or twice.

What separates an average/good qb from the top tier elite is the ability to, when things aren't going your way, to shake that off, get the ball and march your team down field for the win.

Blake even said earlier this season "good QBs will their team to win"

He did it against Miami, but had to get a fg. Did it against Indy but we couldn't get the fg.

What we saw Sunday, was Blake taking the next step in his maturation to a top level QB. He knew we needed a td and even though he had a rough day, when it counted he put us in position to win and we did.

I'd take that clutch factor over stat lines any day. The team as a whole is learning to win.
Quote:Well base on your logic then flacco, luck, wilson, brees, stafford, and tannehill sucks too because they're not winning and have a share of probowls on their resumes. Football is a TEAM GAME and despite whatever myth you have for the qb position it takes other parts of the team to perform for the team to achieve the highest success. If you like it or not Blake Bortles is good and is worth the #3 pick so if our belief in him as a fan base bothers you then feel free to root for another team. 

I've said a few times on here, BB has the ability to be a top tier QB, with some guidance, some focus and ironing out those creases, he will get there.

As state before, he made a few ropey decisions on Sunday, but then pulled it out of the bag when it counted to get the W.
Quote:Blake Bortles is a fearless, dynamic, exciting QB with lots of promise.

Pro bowl = media/fan hype which means it's a joke.

I'll take him being an all pro! Or on the top 100!
Blake Bortles is currently ranked 9th in yards (NFL.com) and the Jaguars are ranked 15th in Passing (24th overall Offense) this season.

The team is ranked 24th based on Q Rating 82.5 overall.

He is only in his 2nd year with young WRs and an average to below Oline.  He'll continue to improve (as long as he can remain healthy)!

Winning QBs don't have defenses that are 32nd in points allowed per game. You can't worry about wins until the defense is fixed. It's irrelevant. 

Agreed with most.

Bortles is an ascending QB

Imo, he's not a probowl candidate however, at this point in the season anyway...that's where I was going with this. Cheers for the responses.
The ProBowl is a mockery of the ProBowl. 

It means very little to me at this point. Nonetheless - if our boy can keep progressing he may be ready to put up pro-bowl worthy stats next season. 

As the OP states - he has a way to go yet. Fun to watch him grow. 

Quote:well yeah good QB's don't normally lose a lot, that's usually the case. Except some do because they are on awful teams.

But we definitely saw a good QB versus a high school QB, and the major league talent of Bortles was obviously superior.

How Manuel was even drafted is a reflection on their GM, I wouldn't have taken him in the 6th round.
insert phillip rivers here. lol I can't think of a better qb in a [BLEEP] situation...
you lost me at pro bowl = elite

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/0ap...ots-Week-7

Blake and Hurns game winner made this slick little week 7 edit ^^  along with a couple of Jags fans at Wembley. 

Blake is a young quarterback who has at times exhibited real talent. Of course, in fairness I also have to point out that at times he has demonstrated real inexperience which has led him to make some monumentally bad plays. Still... I think his 'up side' out weighs the blunders and he will develop into the type of leader who will pull his team up rather than burden them down.

At present though, I don't think anyone would legitimately regard him currently as 'elite' or pro-bowl bound. Generally speaking, one doesn't associate a pro-bowl quality quarterback with a team with a losing record like the Jags have had. To be sure, there are exceptions; but for the most part, good quarterbacks are found on good teams. One tends to build the other eventually, it's thought. At least, that's been the philosophy here for years as we've been engaged in the eternal hunt for the rare 'franchise quarterback'. 

Quote:well yeah good QB's don't normally lose a lot, that's usually the case. Except some do because they are on awful teams.

I know exactly what you mean.

- Troy Aikman & Peyton Manning

(Their Rookie Seasons)
6-0 teams dont either.
Garrard was a pro bowl QB

Good teams win games.

There are very few QBs that are good enough to improve there team enough that they win games on their own. I'd argue there might only be one guy in the league currently on that level.

Bortles is doing well given the hand he's been dealt. I'm not worried about him in the slightest. He's going to be a good one. He has a ways to go but he's shown the ability to improve. If he can eliminate a few mistakes (better OL would help this a tad) then he'll be just fine.
he won in that interview hahahah

There are only 2 Elite QBs currently in the league (Rodgers n Brady).

Giving that label to any other QBs means that the term "Elite" is being used loosely (or being diminished IMO).
Pages: 1 2