Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Frangie
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I was forced to listen and not watch a large portion of the game. This wasn't my first time hearing Frangie do play by play, but the most time I've spent listening to him.

He is not good at all. He is really slow in letting you know what's going on. There are long pauses at times when a play is happening. He is not good in painting a picture of what's happening. He must have little experience doing play by play.

He sounds like a bad tv play by play guy. If that makes sense. You have to be able to talk fast to do radio. He doesn't seem to have that gift.
He bad.
I'm too drunk to whip out my regular Frangie impersonation.

So I'll just say...

that's

phe

nom

nal

Quote:He sounds like a bad tv play by play guy. If that makes sense. You have to be able to talk fast to do radio. He doesn't seem to have that gift.
Play-by-play on radio and TV are very different animals. On radio, you need to talk fast to paint that picture of exactly what's going on. On TV, the picture is already there, and you can afford to take a breath or two as you let that picture talk for you.
Quote:I'm too drunk to whip out my regular Frangie impersonation.

So I'll just say...

that's

phe

nom

nal

Man, I want to be drunk!  So jealous!
Quote:Man, I want to be drunk!  So jealous!

[Image: Jameson_Black_Barrel_Irish_Whiskey_1164621_i0.jpg]
He almost sounds like he's calling a baseball game to me

I agree that he is slow and it's awful...it makes you feel like there is more happening than there is. "Yeldon takes to the outside..........stopped........for no gain maybe a yard"
Quote:Play-by-play on radio and TV are very different animals. On radio, you need to talk fast to paint that picture of exactly what's going on. On TV, the picture is already there, and you can afford to take a breath or two as you let that picture talk for you.

Exactly.

Another thing. Many of Frangie calls are the equivalent of reading text play by play.

"Bortles throws incomplete. 2-10 3:30 4th qtr"
I find the forced enthusiasm to be particularly painful to listen to. I used to be an avid listener to the radio broadcast during games. Not so much anymore.
Wuddyathinkothaaat?
Frangie calling games on radio

[Image: image.png]

He's not just bad. He's absolutely dreadful. 

I actually think he's improving.

But there's a loooooooooooooong way to go.
I still think they are holding out for Tebow...

Quote:I actually think he's improving.

But there's a loooooooooooooong way to go.

That's what I dont get... Why is an NFL team (which should be the pinnacle of play by play radio) hiring a guy with no experience in this type of radio?
Quote:That's what I dont get... Why is an NFL team (which should be the pinnacle of play by play radio) hiring a guy with no experience in this type of radio?

Lot's of back room dealing related to 1010XL and the Jaguars, that was probably just one more negotiating point.
For kicks, during the Tampa away game, I switched between 930am (Bucs broadcast) and 1010xl (Jags broadcast).   Quite honestly, after listening to the extreme difference, I wasn't even convinced Frangie was qualified to call the Friday night Episcopal games.

Quote:That's what I dont get... Why is an NFL team (which should be the pinnacle of play by play radio) hiring a guy with no experience in this type of radio?

7 Bridges Radio decide who the voice of the team is going to be. 

7 Bridges owns 1010XL.

I believe Frangie owns a piece of the business.

See where this is going?

The team doesn't determine who the voice is going to be.  The broadcast partner does.  Frangie does have some experience calling college games for several years.  All that experience doesn't seem to have helped him get any better at play-by-play, and 2 years into this thing, I can't imagine the Jaguars are thrilled with the product of the radio broadcast.  Between Frangie's pointless droning, and Boselli rambling on, the best part of the radio broadcast, Jeff Lageman, has to struggle to get air time. 
Quote:For kicks, during the Tampa away game, I switched between 930am (Bucs broadcast) and 1010xl (Jags broadcast).   Quite honestly, after listening to the extreme difference, I wasn't even convinced Frangie was qualified to call the Friday night Episcopal games.

But Gene Deckerhoff is a legend, it's no comparison between an amateur and a HOFer.
I haven't heard him and I don't think I will.
Pages: 1 2