Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: This soft zone
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Honest to God. Can someone explain to me why we constantly run this? IS there something about this scheme I'm missing that works? Are the players out of position? Why is it we do this?

Quote:Honest to God. Can someone explain to me why we constantly run this? IS there something about this scheme I'm missing that works? Are the players out of position? Why is it we do this?

We have no pass rush. They'd rather the DBs try to keep everything in front of them knowing that the QB is going to have five seconds to throw.
Defense was the only reason we won today
It drives me nuts at times to see the DBs and LBs backed so far off the L.O.S.

They definitely run it too often for my taste.  If they had two Colvin's and a stud at free safety it would be a lot more effective, but....

... they don't. 

We have 2 good corners in colvin and house but I think it's just because they are scared that the safties can't cover deep. I mean on that long touchdown cyp was the deep saftey....
Quote:We have 2 good corners in colvin and house but I think it's just because they are scared that the safties can't cover deep. I mean on that long touchdown cyp was the deep saftey....

Gratz also got burned bad on that play.
Quote:Honest to God. Can someone explain to me why we constantly run this? IS there something about this scheme I'm missing that works? Are the players out of position? Why is it we do this?

Soft zone is basically a "Bend but don't break" defense. It is also really dependent on getting takeovers. Its supposed to aid in that department as well. 
Quote:Soft zone is basically a "Bend but don't break" defense. It is also really dependent on getting takeovers. Its supposed to aid in that department as well. 

They prefer to play the vaunted "break but don't tackle" version. 
Quote:Gratz also got burned bad on that play.
Oh I know lol just need another corner and a replacement for brown/Evans with cyp/sample staying primarily bin the box
Quote:They prefer to play the vaunted "break but don't tackle" version. 

The execution overall is bad but its getting better little by little. 

It's the old, bend but don't break defense.

I think we have to start taking more chances, because this bend but don't break defense is giving up one long drive after another and can't seem to stop anyone.   Not even E J Friggin' Manuel! 
Soft...soft serve...it all goes back to Gus' favorite ice cream.

Honestly I don't have an answer for this question but it's mind boggling.

I thought this thread was the soft cone, lol
Quote:The execution overall is bad but its getting better little by little. 

Better little by little?    So little by little you'd need an electron microscope to see it. 
Cyprien still sucks.
Quote:Oh I know lol just need another corner and a replacement for brown/Evans with cyp/sample staying primarily bin the box

We need better corners, some defensive linemen who can rush the passer, and a new scheme.   Other than that, we're close. 
Quote:We need better corners, some defensive linemen who can rush the passer, and a new scheme.   Other than that, we're close. 

Almost there! Only a few more seasons to achieve competency. 
Quote:Better little by little?    So little by little you'd need an electron microscope to see it. 

They did get two picks and a TD off of zone coverage today.

But in answer to your question, no, there's nothing about this scheme that works that you are missing.   It seems designed for no pressure on the passer but they make up for it by not covering anybody.  
Quote:They did get two picks and a TD off of zone coverage today.
True  ^
Pages: 1 2