Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Caldwells worst draft pick (rounds 1-3)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm only doing the first 3 rounds because generally those are the rounds that should be starters and lower rounds usually the backups.

And the nominees are.....

BBINT
Cyprien. Complete mess. Bad angles and getting thrown on his butt is everything you don't want in a safety.
Quote:BBINT
Good sarcasm.... I hope
Meh, Joekel is playing better this year, and considering the overall line play in the NFL, especially at OT, he's alright. I really had hopes for 37, so I'll go with that, as a disappointment. Gratz is difficult to judge for me, as our D coaching appears to blow. Sanders is tough to pin on him. Same with Lee.
Quote:Good sarcasm.... I hope

Lol yes it was
Caldwell's worst draft pick is either Lee or Sanders. I do understand Caldwell was swinging for the fences with Lee and we have a long time to go before we can write him off but its not looking good considering the injury history was well documented before Caldwell drafted him. 

Sanders never did anything. Complete blown 4th rounder. Not a big deal. 

Anyone voting for Joeckel hasn't been watching this season.

Sliprien is terrible

This is all in hindsight, but the most disappointing would have to be Cyprien. Needed a very good/great safety in this defense scheme and he was best available player any of the 3 years. He just hasn't worked.

Honestly, I'm sure you can say Caldwell missed with any of selections. Some may have not panned out like we wanted but for example

Joekel. No one in the top 15 has lived up to their draft position. Highest maybe Ansah, but with how bad the offensive line was the prior year, Caldwell would have been blasted for passing on the player most had as the highest rated player that year. Plus no one would have traded up. Teams only trade up into the top 10 for QB's or ultimate game-changing WR/RB. None were there in 2013.

Cyprien dropped. He was supposed to be gone. The question is would he be the type of player that Gus needs at safety, and he is not. I don't know how much choice Caldwell has though becuase who else do you draft? Teo? Alonso? Both good players, and but the LB's were not horrible yet though though you could argue one could have replaced Smith. Caldwell was never gonna draft a RB this year (Bell/Lacy). I also doubt their were many legitimate trade offers given how the QB's were drafted.

Gratz could be called a miss given Logan Ryan has done. Gratz has been benched on/off ,and has not had Belichick and the NE pass rush helping him. Honey Badger has had some highlights but has not been good consistently.

Bortles in 2014 has outplayed the other QB's of that draft class. He is not perfect, but this year I'm not sure how you cannot say he has been better than Carr, Bridgewater, or Manziel. For those talking about Mariota, would have really allowed the Jags to have another year of Henne at starting QB prior to that year? I doubt they would have won a game that year without that change, and I have no doubt one of you would have burned down the stadium and told them to move to London after an 0-16 season.

Lee  could be seen as miss, but no one expected him to fall. Plus when healthy, he is the exact game changing/dynamic player you want on the field. His injury issues the past 2 years have been very different than those in college, so I'm not sure you could have project much other than "his build". However if he panned out, everyone would have panned Caldwell. In hindsight, you could argue that WR of this type (fast, quick but on the smallest side) seem to not last in the NFL anymore (Harven, Quick, Austin, Lee), but then you have Antonio Brown and others. There has to be some pattern to figure out a better drafting paradigm.

Robinson has worked out.

I went with Cyp, but it's hard to understand. Cyp was touted as possibly the best SS in his class and easily a top three S overall, and he was drafted early in round two where Safeties are as just about as safe of a pick as can be made. When he was drafted I was not alone in saying he was one of the best picks in the draft. He should have easily been a success, but we're just not seeing it at all.

Joeckel actually hasn't been that bad recently. It's promising.

Cyprien, easily. For that high of a pick to play like this? Cmon man...
Seriously! 

In order for a draft pick to be labeled a bust within the first three drafted rounds, that said player must have had their job taken by another player and or no longer on the roster due to his lack of play. The only player that fits this criteria is Gratz... Ohhhhh Wait A Minute, isn't Gratz starting this week?

No Vote from me...

NH3...

Quote:This is all in hindsight, but the most disappointing would have to be Cyprien. Needed a very good/great safety in this defense scheme and he was best available player any of the 3 years. He just hasn't worked.

Honestly, I'm sure you can say Caldwell missed with any of selections. Some may have not panned out like we wanted but for example

Joekel. No one in the top 15 has lived up to their draft position. Highest maybe Ansah, but with how bad the offensive line was the prior year, Caldwell would have been blasted for passing on the player most had as the highest rated player that year. Plus no one would have traded up. Teams only trade up into the top 10 for QB's or ultimate game-changing WR/RB. None were there in 2013.

Cyprien dropped. He was supposed to be gone. The question is would he be the type of player that Gus needs at safety, and he is not. I don't know how much choice Caldwell has though becuase who else do you draft? Teo? Alonso? Both good players, and but the LB's were not horrible yet though though you could argue one could have replaced Smith. Caldwell was never gonna draft a RB this year (Bell/Lacy). I also doubt their were many legitimate trade offers given how the QB's were drafted.

Gratz could be called a miss given Logan Ryan has done. Gratz has been benched on/off ,and has not had Belichick and the NE pass rush helping him. Honey Badger has had some highlights but has not been good consistently.

Bortles in 2014 has outplayed the other QB's of that draft class. He is not perfect, but this year I'm not sure how you cannot say he has been better than Carr, Bridgewater, or Manziel. For those talking about Mariota, would have really allowed the Jags to have another year of Henne at starting QB prior to that year? I doubt they would have won a game that year without that change, and I have no doubt one of you would have burned down the stadium and told them to move to London after an 0-16 season.

Lee  could be seen as miss, but no one expected him to fall. Plus when healthy, he is the exact game changing/dynamic player you want on the field. His injury issues the past 2 years have been very different than those in college, so I'm not sure you could have project much other than "his build". However if he panned out, everyone would have panned Caldwell. In hindsight, you could argue that WR of this type (fast, quick but on the smallest side) seem to not last in the NFL anymore (Harven, Quick, Austin, Lee), but then you have Antonio Brown and others. There has to be some pattern to figure out a better drafting paradigm.

Robinson has worked out.
ok henne is awful but he coulda won a game or two last year lmao bottles was god awful last year, he good this year tho
Quote:I went with Cyp, but it's hard to understand. Cyp was touted as possibly the best SS in his class and easily a top three S overall, and he was drafted early in round two where Safeties are as just about as safe of a pick as can be made. When he was drafted I was not alone in saying he was one of the best picks in the draft. He should have easily been a success, but we're just not seeing it at all.
because we're the jaguars
I went with cyp   he should be one of the best young guns . he does nothing

I voted for Lee.

The best ability is availability