Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Jaguars Schedule Rest of The Way Leaves No Excuse For Gus
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I think if you spend any amount of time here especially over the last 5 weeks, we already know where you stand in firing Gus now (or yesterday) vs. letting him finish the season.  I want to throw out a hypothetical here and though you may not like the hypothetical, you can agree it is certainly possible that Gus will be allowed to finish coaching the Jaguars in 2015.  We are going to assume that is the case for arguments sake and look at the remaining schedule which, IMO, leaves Gus without any excuses when it is all said and done.  

The Jaguars were given an ideal scenario to take over the AFC South or T.I.T. league.  The tacks were starting a rookie QB, indy surprised with poor QB play early on and the texans looked confused each week as to which QB would start the game and which one would finish it.  The snake bitten Jaguars finally had luck on their side.  However, this new found good luck lost to no Luck.  They could've quieted the boo birds when they flew into turnover town, but allowed Jameis Winterception to win instead.  The smell persisted when we left the texan turds untouched in the Hoylett.   As bad as it stinks the season moving forward is falling into place just as it did when it began.  

This isn't a "we have a chance to make the playoffs or compete thread", but as week 7 approaches, we have winnable game after winnable game on the horizon.  Gus and the process will have no excuses left when it is all said and done.  If we had a tougher schedule there could leave room for doubt, but I do believe, once this season is over, the majority of the fan base will agree with the decision made at the end of the year.  As it stands, the next 10 opponents combine for 24 wins and 33 losses.  Out of the next 10 games, only 2 have a winning record.  Not only that, we get a bye before the jets who are 1 of those winning records sitting at 4-1.  The next 4 teams thereafter currently have a combined record of 7-16 before we have to play the 5-1 falcons. Even with the easy schedule, we are in perfect position to have the best opportunity possible to "compete" or beat the two toughest teams left.  

This week is another perfect example with bills starting QB, 2 WR's, RT and RG out.  And that is just their starting offense.  Opportunities have been lost and yet, some how at 1-5, the season is not.  It may be in the minds of Jaguar fans, but with 10 games to go we are 2 games out of 1st place and at 1-5, that is the best opportunity you will ever have in the NFL.  Gus and the process are now faced with opportunity once again and a 2nd chance that many don't think is deserved.  

I really don't see the next two games as "winnable" which has me convinced we're starting 1-7. I still think Gus needs six wins to save his job for next year, but that's likely going to take a 5-3 finish. Frankly that means winning the second half against what appears to be a rather easy schedule. Do that and I'm right back on board, but anything less I fear he's gone. For a 4-4 finish to be good enough he's going to have steal a win against the Bills or Jets, but I just don't see that happening.

As it stands my prediction for the season has dropped to 5-11 with Gus being fired. That said, I'd love to see him prove me wrong by somehow snagging at least one more win and saving his job.

I see splitting with the tacks...and mayyyyybe the tinhorns, other than that I don't see any wins. 

We refuse to take advantage of Ahpertuny!

Gus will not go .500 to finish out the season.

Look at his 8 wins in the nfl. Maybe 3 of those coaches are still head coaches in the nfl.
I would love to see us get back to back wins at some point this season
I can see us sweeping Mariota and the tacks along with beating the Ravens on the road and the Colts at home. That'll make 5-11.

Presuming they start 1-7, they'll need to win one of the their final two games either at the Saints or at the Texans to save Gus' job. 

There were no excuses for the last 3 games and look what happened.

We even got Marks and JT back and look what happened.

From what Khan said, and what I have read, I really don't see Gus getting fired before the end of the season, so all we can really do is let the season play out and see what Gus can do with the rest of this "no excuses" schedule.

Unfortunately, by keeping Gus through the rest of the season, I have a feeling we are just going to look a lot like we do now at 1-5.

I'd like to believe Gus can get another 2 or 3 wins somewhere on the schedule, so at least the Jags don't lose more games this year then they did last year with better players/talent this year.
Brilliantly put JT. Fantastic. Something stood out to me, our defense has been so sad thus far, that winterception wasn't even intercepted once in his win, so that term doesn't apply to us.

Let's see how it all pans out. We are forebearing and have waited, and waited. 10 to go, win 7, just maybe, you might find yourself atop the bottom south. Dolt ain't shat. Panthers 14, I see you. Go Jags.
I like optimism... when I can see a bases for it. In the case of the Jags and the second half of this season however, I perceive very little to feel optimistic about. It has been my observation that the Jaguars tend to play down to the 'perceived' lowest level of their opponents while simultaneously inspiring great effort from that same opponent against them. That's why we lose to teams who, at least on paper, it looks like we should have defeated. 

Now if I'm correct in my assessment, we will lose most of these games in the second half of the season. We might manage to pull off a win or two at most; but given the Jags demonstrated prowess at losing winnable games, I wouldn't bet money on it. Because the Jags have such an 'irksome' reputation among other teams in the NFL, any team that losses to this team is in dire straights of having their head coach fired.

Yes... regardless of what some ill informed talking head from the media says to the contrary, we're that bad...

*other teams have fired their HC's for losing to us

*we have had a top five draft pick for years now

*we have been (and/or continue to be) at or near the bottom of many stats on both offense and defense

*defense is our head coach's 'specialty', yet ours is awful

*we haven't had a 'winning' season in over eight years;

*other teams have fired their HC who had a better record than our HC.

A process is only validated by success. After two and a half years into the rebuild, it would seem apparent due to the lack of winning that the process is not working. It can and has been argued that continuing a process without change and expecting different results to take place is irrational. That not withstanding, it's up to the owner if he wants to keep Gus here though the end of the season. The up side to it is that as a result, we'll probably be looking at almost certainly getting the first pick at the next  draft. Let's hope our next high draft pick last more than 10 minutes before going out for the season.

I don't want anyone to misinterpret my post as optimistic.  I guess it may come off that way since other threads are being started about sitting down vets and play the young guys, but my point being, that as bad as we have played along with all the opportunities we let slip away, we have as good of a chance schedule and division wise as any 1-5 team could hope for.  I do not believe we will take advantage of it.  I do think Gus is gone by seasons end.  If they can't show improvement in the win column after the amazing gift of a schedule we have been given this year than we all or most can agree by season's end that Gus and his process failed.  I don't agree that wins are the only thing that matter in a rebuild, but in year 3 with an easy schedule and opportunity after opportunity passing you by, they matter now.  At 1-5 and playing  a team more beat up than any we have played so far this year, winning matters.  Not almost got it or if we just made one more play is gonna fly even with the most patient fans.  Not at 1-5 and not after having so many other failed attempts.  This is the most important game of Bradley's tenure and you hope to see a competitiveness and focus like we haven't seen in his just under 2 1/2 seasons.  At some point you just have to step up and if you don't than it may be time to step down.  

I lost hope after we lost to the luckless Colts, failed to get a turnover against the Bucs, and made Hoyer look like a HOF QB. Im counting every game from here out as a lost

Just 2 months, and he'll be fired.  Untill then, pizza parties after every game.   Just go out there and compete every day.  Get better men.

And remember, we believe in pepperoni!  But only for winners!

Quote:I lost hope after we lost to the luckless Colts, failed to get a turnover against the Bucs, and made Hoyer look like a HOF QB. Im counting every game from here out as a lost

Seriously, people thinking that the next 5 weeks are make or break for the pizza party coordinator?  

Bradley had 3 weeks to prove he was a good coach.  Did these guys just wake up now?  Where were you guys for the last 3 weeks?  Talk about being behind the curve.
Quote:I don't want anyone to misinterpret my post as optimistic.  I guess it may come off that way since other threads are being started about sitting down vets and play the young guys, but my point being, that as bad as we have played along with all the opportunities we let slip away, we have as good of a chance schedule and division wise as any 1-5 team could hope for.  I do not believe we will take advantage of it.  I do think Gus is gone by seasons end.  If they can't show improvement in the win column after the amazing gift of a schedule we have been given this year than we all or most can agree by season's end that Gus and his process failed.  I don't agree that wins are the only thing that matter in a rebuild, but in year 3 with an easy schedule and opportunity after opportunity passing you by, they matter now.  At 1-5 and playing  a team more beat up than any we have played so far this year, winning matters.  Not almost got it or if we just made one more play is gonna fly even with the most patient fans.  Not at 1-5 and not after having so many other failed attempts.  This is the most important game of Bradley's tenure and you hope to see a competitiveness and focus like we haven't seen in his just under 2 1/2 seasons.  At some point you just have to step up and if you don't than it may be time to step down.  

It's hard to stay mad at you, JT$...

I'll respect your opinion.  But man, I really don't like it.
Quote:Just 2 months, and he'll be fired.  Untill then, pizza parties after every game.   Just go out there and compete every day.  Get better men.

And remember, we believe in pepperoni!  But only for winners!

Lol, man now we will have 4 weeks of pizza party posts.  Can't wait!
How can anyone say they can see this team winning anything after the 1st 6 games of the season is beyond me. You have to be insane.
Quote:How can anyone say they can see this team winning anything after the 1st 6 games of the season is beyond me. You have to be insane.

I'm not expecting them to win nor am I expecting Gus to seize the opportunity in front of him.
Quote:It's hard to stay mad at you, JT$...

I'll respect your opinion. But man, I really don't like it.

I don't like it either since I think we are still going to squander the opportunity.
1-15. Mostly because this team hasn't shown it can beat anybody they should beat. So if we know they won't beat teams they can't beat and teams they should beat...I see very few opportunities to win.
Pages: 1 2 3