Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: o Line and Marrone
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
One thing I dont see being talked about is the piss poor performance of the o line at run blocking and its relationship with Marrone who was supposed to be the guru. Seems the o line has regressed this year at run blocking.

Some even mentioning put Marrone at Hc if gus is canned. Meh not so sure about that.

Anybody see the push the Eagles o line had tonight. Havent seen that here in a looong time.
I wouldn't say to regressed, we couldn't run last year either.

What's more concerning to me is that the individual pieces seem talented enough, yet they still can't get it done. I'd still like to see them give Shatley a start in place of Beadles.

Obviously Cann is also a step down from Linder but you think the one thing you think you could tell a rookie to go do with some consistency is knock the guy right across from you backwards.
Its not Marrones fault Joeckel is easily over powered
Found this interesting. Prior to last week we actually were doing pretty well on runs to the right edge (off tackle & ends). Of course, most our runs are called off guard. Classic Gus
Quote:One thing I dont see being talked about is the [BAD WORD REMOVED] poor performance of the o line at run blocking and its relationship with Marrone who was supposed to be the guru. Seems the o line has regressed this year at run blocking.

Some even mentioning put Marrone at Hc if gus is canned. Meh not so sure about that.

Anybody see the push the Eagles o line had tonight. Havent seen that here in a looong time.
I mentioned this in one of the threads advocating promoting him.

He is coaching arguably the most mistake riddled area of the team and just quit a head coaching job, yet the gurus on this board want to promote him.

I understand the sentiment for replacing Gus, but I don't understand the idea of replacing him with the guy who's coaching may be having a bigger negative impact on this team's record than Gus.
Quote:Its not Marrones fault Joeckel is easily over powered

I dunno, doesnt he have say in whether or not LT Luke Joeckel remains the starter?
Quote:Found this interesting. Prior to last week we actually were doing pretty well on runs to the right edge (off tackle & ends). Of course, most our runs are called off guard. Classic Gus
Yeah, too bad Gus isn't calling the plays.
Quote:<a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol'>http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol</a>

Thanks for posting.

Power rank: 30

Sounds about right.
Quote:One thing I dont see being talked about is the [BAD WORD REMOVED] poor performance of the o line at run blocking and its relationship with Marrone who was supposed to be the guru. Seems the o line has regressed this year at run blocking.

I want Jim Harbaugh but I wouldnt mind Marrone as the interm if nothing else to prove why not to make him HC for next season...
Quote:Its not Marrones fault Joeckel is easily over powered
Joeckel getting overpowered isn't the main issue with the line. It's blown assignments and mental errors. These guys don't know who should be blocking who on too many plays.
Well he will naturally be interim if they let gus go during the year. Maybe I shouldnt say regressed but certainly the oline hasnt impressed.
I think the interior of the line is very weak right now. Obviously Linder being gone and Cann playing in his spot is going to hurt. Beadles is not good we all know that and IMO Wiz is average to above average right now.

Cann playing this year I feel will be great for him. Beadles should be gone next season and I wouldn't be surprised if the team looks to sign or draft another C. I'm of the belief that a great offensive line starts with a very strong interior.

Quote:Joeckel getting overpowered isn't the main issue with the line. It's blown assignments and mental errors. These guys don't know who should be blocking who on too many plays.

This is the problem. We act like the talent level on our offensive or the injuries the Jag's face are somehow crippling in comparison to the rest of the NFL. Lot's of teams protect their QB and effectively run the ball with late draft picks, undrafted free agents, rookies, and back ups after injuries. 

If anything the "new" popularity of spread offenses, quick passing, and hurry up usage, allows coaches to create schemes to better hide weaknesses, especially on the offensive line. (Sure having a good seasoned QB will help mask that even more, but Blake is definitely showing flashes of make post-snap plays to save his O-line.)

Essentially, for too long the Jaguars have just bad coaching/scheming of the line. Not use our players strengths, being too ingrained on "their" zone/man blocking philosophies, or trying to use systems that are just too complicated. Combine that with having mainly a very inexperienced o-line, and it compounds.

I also wonder if this coaching staff has had too much of a philosophy of breaking down and building up players in the image they want. As in trying to fix fundamentals way too much, when for the most part it would likely not add anything. It would be like making a rookie hitter change their swing as soon as they get to Major's because it is not "perfect", causing everything to fall apart. Instead they need to do a better job of adapting the schemes to fit the players.
Quote:Joeckel getting overpowered isn't the main issue with the line. It's blown assignments and mental errors. These guys don't know who should be blocking who on too many plays.

It really is just our boys getting whipped up front. Last year the protections and blocking assignments were a mess. This year they are significantly better between adding Olson, Marrone and Wiz and an extra year for Bortles. Not that we're doing well in this area, but very significantly improved. It's Beadles, Wiz, and Joeckel regularly getting their lunches eaten by anybody who is lined up opposite of them. Cann and Parnell have been bad too, but more so below average than terrible.
Quote:I mentioned this in one of the threads advocating promoting him.

He is coaching arguably the most mistake riddled area of the team and just quit a head coaching job, yet the gurus on this board want to promote him.

I understand the sentiment for replacing Gus, but I don't understand the idea of replacing him with the guy who's coaching may be having a bigger negative impact on this team's record than Gus.
Yeah, it's a head scratcher for sure.  Nothing has improved with the offensive line under Marrone's guidance, so we should go ahead and promote him.  Typical logic from the message board GM sect. 
Quote:Yeah, it's a head scratcher for sure.  Nothing has improved with the offensive line under Marrone's guidance, so we should go ahead and promote him.  Typical logic from the message board GM sect. 

I don't think people really care who it is, as long as it isn't Gus. People just want a change. Can you blame us?

Heck, they should just hold "Coach the 2nd half" contests at halftime. That is what it has come to.
Quote:I don't think people really care who it is, as long as it isn't Gus. People just want a change. Can you blame us?

Heck, they should just hold "Coach the 2nd half" contests at halftime. That is what it has come to.
Change for the sake of change isn't necessarily improvement. 
Quote:Change for the sake of change isn't necessarily improvement. 

Voters 7 years ago didn't see things that way.
Quote:Voters 7 years ago didn't see things that way.
And we're worse off because they just wanted change.  Great analogy you tossed out there. Rolleyes
Pages: 1 2 3