Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Stat Tracker Past and Present Comparing Bortles vs Luck
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I thought it would be fun to see how Blake stacks up to Andrew during the same stretches of their career. I'll do the best I can to update each week as the season progresses. I'm using main stats like completion percentage, passing yards, TD's (rushing and throwing), Int's, fumbles lost, total turnovers, QB rating, YPA, rushing yards, sacks and total attempts. If you think I'm leaving an important stat out let me know and I may add it unless your name is baconator and you tell me to put in baconators eye test. My intention is not to make an argument, but to give us an idea of how Blake stacks up to the best QB in the AFC South. I think both have had similar situations (not identical) so while not perfect, makes for a fairly reasonable comparison. Green means better, Red means worse, Grey is Neutral and Purple is a tie.

***Week 14 and 15 Has Been Updated***

<span>Andrew Luck:</span>

Completion Percentage - 58.6

Total Passing Yards - <b>3,299</b>
Yards Per Game - 235.64

Passing TD's - <b>21</b>

Rushing TD's - <b>4</b>

Total TD's - <b>25</b>

INT's - <b>9</b>

Fumbles Lost - <b>2</b>

Total Turnovers - 11

QB Rating - <b>86.06</b>

Passing Attempts Total - <b>496</b>

Average Passing Attempts Per Game - <b>35.42</b>

YPA - <b>7.05</b>

Rushing Yards- <b>365</b>

Rushing Yards Average Per Game - 26.07

Sacks - <b>30</b>
Sacks Per Game - 2.14

<span>Blake Bortles:</span>

Completion Percentage - 57.7

Total Passing Yards - 3,821

Yards Per Game - 272.92

Passing TD's - <b>31</b>

Rushing TD's - <b>2</b>

Total TD's - <b>33</b>

INT's - 14

Fumbles Lost - <b>4</b>

Total Turnovers - 18

QB Rating - <b>88.1</b>

Passing Attempts Total - <b>539</b>

Average Passing Attempts Per Game - <b>38.5</b>

YPA - 7.1

Rushing Yards - <b>305</b>

Rushing Yards Per Game - 21.78

Sacks - <b>41</b>

Sacks Per Game - <b>2.95</b>

Week 13 and 14: 

Never fun when you do this and realize you put in the wrong year for Luck and have to do it all over again smh...  Anyways, Luck came back a little on the TD's, but finishes his next 2 with only 2 TD passes so 

Blake can gain some more ground here.  Blake has definitely improved his QB rating over these last few games and has a chance to get into the 90's which would be fantastic.  He is 1 yard shy of Luck's entire 2013 total for passing yards with 2 games to go.  Blake has a really good chance at breaking Mark Brunell's all time passing yards number and can do a lot of damage with the saints this week.  We may not go to the playoffs, but I'll enjoy watching Blake finish the year.  Go Jags!
I just looked at the support they each got from their running game over the same span by subtracting out their own personal rushing/scrambling yards. It's 630 to 407 in favor of Luck. That's going to account for a lot of things but specifically for why Bortles has many more passing attempts and yards.

I'm fine with what I'm seeing from Bortles this year. Though it's clear to me he's having to do too much because we can't run the ball effectively and our defense can't prevent a Hoyer led 99 yard TD drive.
Bortles is better so far in year 2 than Luck is in year. He's just not blessed with the same amount of talent around him.
I think I will give the edge to Andrew Luck at this point 6 games in for their 2nd year.  The turnovers are a big one and completion percentage are a big one.  Blake has more pressure since he has attempted 56 more passes which is a lot, but you can nit pick back and forth or make arguments for either or.  The fact that there is an argument so far though is a good thing.  Hopefully I will be updating these stats positively after the Bills game. 

Bortles vs. Luck Week 9 is updated.

Quote:Bortles vs. Luck Week 9 is updated.

That's a lot of work, good job.

I agree, if it weren't for the turnovers I would pick Bortles.  He's had too many of them.  That fumble yesterday was very telling. He had no awareness.
Good Topic.  Even better are the stats vs random opinions that we're so used to reading.

Great Original Post  and ongoing updates concept !!

UCF, Agreed on the turnovers.  He is helping us win or keep us in games and lose games all at the same time.  Decrease turnovers while keeping production?  We would have a star on our hands.  

Hurricane, it is good to be able to use real numbers instead of what we think we know or what we remember.  Their situations going into year 2 are eerily similar.    

I hope he can cut his turnovers down his int's are so bad most of the time and that fumble ugh.

There is no way Luck only has 3 INTs thru 9 games.

He has had 3 INTs in at least 2 different games this season and other games with at least 2 INTs.

You need to update his INT thru the 9 games played.

They are actually very similar qbs I think. But Blake is just a little more talented at everything but less ready coming out of college. Having an NFL qb parent and a top college coach would have helped Luck peak way before Bortles.Also Luck has had much better teammate play early in his career.
Quote:There is no way Luck only has 3 INTs thru 9 games.

He has had 3 INTs in at least 2 different games this season and other games with at least 2 INTs.

You need to update his INT thru the 9 games played.
It's updated. Feel free to check the stats.

I just realized that you are probably thinking this is 2015 Luck. It is not. This is 2015 Bortles vs. Luck in his 2nd year.
jt - great work.

I won't pretend to have read all these posts - what's the point? But I do find this obsession with Andrew Luck fascinating. Some on here seem to have made it so personal (not you jt - you're sort of sane, lol) as if if someone acknowledges Luck's qualities it diminishes them as an individual. 

It's entertainment, folks. 

Quote:It's updated. Feel free to check the stats.

I just realized that you are probably thinking this is 2015 Luck. It is not. This is 2015 Bortles vs. Luck in his 2nd year.
I was about to make the same argument lol glad it is clear for me now in comparison
JT$, awesome job with this thread, bro!

The 2 things that stand out to me so far this season are the INT's and the completion percentage between Luck and BB5.

I'm surprised that Luck is only 2% more efficient in completions compared to our guy.  Luck, if memory serves, was throwing alot of check downs in his 2nd year.  Though he would take alot of shots down the field, just as he does now...

The other thing are those INTs.  They need to come down, obviously.  I mentioned this in another thread, but I think as BB5 gets more support in the run game and from our D, I think he won't feel the nessessity to force the issue.  To me, it seems that BB5 is trying to hard to make every play "the big play".  Which is causing the increased errors...
Quote:JT$, awesome job with this thread, bro!

The 2 things that stand out to me so far this season are the INT's and the completion percentage between Luck and BB5.

I'm surprised that Luck is only 2% more efficient in completions compared to our guy.  Luck, if memory serves, was throwing alot of check downs in his 2nd year.  Though he would take alot of shots down the field, just as he does now...

The other thing are those INTs.  They need to come down, obviously.  I mentioned this in another thread, but I think as BB5 gets more support in the run game and from our D, I think he won't feel the nessessity to force the issue.  To me, it seems that BB5 is trying to hard to make every play "the big play".  Which is causing the increased errors...
Lucks 2nd year had way fewer turnovers, but he regressed come year 3, started throwin picks a lot again...
Quote:It's updated. Feel free to check the stats.

Yeah, my bad. I did think it was Bortles vs Luck 2015.

3 INTs in his 2nd year is pretty impressive, especially since we can look into the future and see that he has a pretty unimpressive 4th year.
Also, just imagine the extra #'s Blake could put if he was able to play against the very soft Gus Bradley led Jaguar defense, that doesn't like to blitz, twice a year.

It just seems like Luck throws 2-3 Tds a game every time he faces the Jags.

Quote:JT$, awesome job with this thread, bro!

I'm surprised that Luck is only 2% more efficient in completions compared to our guy. Luck, if memory serves, was throwing alot of check downs in his 2nd year. Though he would take alot of shots down the field, just as he does now...

The other thing are those INTs. They need to come down, obviously. I mentioned this in another thread, but I think as BB5 gets more support in the run game and from our D, I think he won't feel the nessessity to force the issue. To me, it seems that BB5 is trying to hard to make every play "the big play". Which is causing the increased errors...

We can see by the passing attempts Blake is being asked to do more. Which is somewhat surprising as well considering Blake wasn't supposed to play last year because he needed time to develop.

I honestly can't remember if he checked down a lot or not, but I do feel we need to have some easier passes for Blake. We are stretching the field yet we can't seem to or don't try to get easy yards. I just don't get why. Seems that would make the shorter throws easier or that we should exploit that when calling plays.
Quote:We can see by the passing attempts Blake is being asked to do more. Which is somewhat surprising as well considering Blake wasn't supposed to play last year because he needed time to develop.

I honestly can't remember if he checked down a lot or not, but I do feel we need to have some easier passes for Blake. We are stretching the field yet we can't seem to or don't try to get easy yards. I just don't get why. Seems that would make the shorter throws easier or that we should exploit that when calling plays.

Basically it's because the Jags just cannot run the ball with any consistency. None.

They will have the occasional big run, but for the most part, they just can't run the ball effectively enough to help Blake with the passing game.

There's just too many times that the yardage is 3rd and short and they just can't run for the first down, for whatever reason.

Pages: 1 2